Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-17-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
rado3105
rado3105 began at the beginning.

Device: sony m600i
Best ebook reader??

Hi I am planning to buy some ebook reader, I was thinking about Sony ebook reader 505 or Irex Iliad, but I am not sure. I want from that device to read well pdf documents( I have a lot of magazines in pdf). Can you help, what reader now is best to buy?

Last edited by rado3105; 08-18-2008 at 05:35 AM.
rado3105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:50 PM   #2
iiee
iiee began at the beginning.

Device: ex-hanlin v3 owner, Sony PRS600
The sony is crap for pdfs. There is no zoom option which means you have to squint at a4 sized pdf files on a 6 in screen. I would recommend the new Iliad book version if you have the money the hanlin v3 if you dont. I dont know much about the cybook but that might be worth a look as well.
iiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2008, 07:43 PM   #3
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiee View Post
The sony is crap for pdfs. There is no zoom option which means you have to squint at a4 sized pdf files on a 6 in screen.
Well it's not quite all that bad, at least on the 505 with the firmware update. The 500 and pre-update-505 had some PDF rendering glitchs which made PDFs harder to read than necessary, but now even letter/A4-sized PDFs are quite legible, especially if you rotate to the half-page landscape view or use the reflow feature. In fact, I'd say the Reader now has the best PDF support of all the 6" devices.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:48 PM   #4
Professor
Enthusiast
Professor began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Hanlin V3 is very powerful in formats and languanges, and it has the best price-performance ratio. I have got one for my study, it works very well. Thanks!
Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:57 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
Hanlin V3 is very powerful in formats and languanges, and it has the best price-performance ratio. I have got one for my study, it works very well. Thanks!
But how good is it at reading A4 PDFs, which is the original poster's specific requirement? NO 6" device does that task "well" - there's just no good way to display an A4 page of a screen with only 1/6th the area of an A4 page.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2008, 01:27 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But how good is it at reading A4 PDFs, which is the original poster's specific requirement? NO 6" device does that task "well" - there's just no good way to display an A4 page of a screen with only 1/6th the area of an A4 page.
If the document can be reflowed then it will work well on a 6" Sony but nothing else supports reflow. Documents with lots of text and no need to have the image in a particular point on the screen with respect to surrounding text are candidates for the reflow solution. Certainly this makes it document specific it may still be a good solution for the original request.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:58 AM   #7
kesey
Enthusiast
kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor View Post

Professor, as a guy who is looking to buy an e-reader, I find your posts quite unhelpful. If you have something useful to say about the Hanlin V3 please say it. Telling the world ad infinitum that "it has the best price-performance ratio" is nothing short of a load of bleeding cobblers. Worse it sounds like sad hype from a party with a vested interest.

For an example of a helpful post I would recommend the following by rachelandrews: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27618
kesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:48 AM   #8
taildragger-j3
Writer AND Reader
taildragger-j3 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
On a slightly different tack, how much of a practical difference is there between the 500 & the 505. I've read some of the comparisons, but I'm still not sure. I don't mind buying a used 500 at a good price if the quality of the reader is adequate. If there's a substantial difference between the 500 & the 505, I'll have to save my pennies a little longer, I guess.
taildragger-j3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:10 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The screen is the main difference. The 2nd gen "Vizplex" screen of the 505 is dramatically better than the 1st gen eInk screen of the 500. Better contrast, a lighter background, and virtually immune to the "ghosting" that 1st gen screen generally have. Much more readable, especially in poorer lighting.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:11 PM   #10
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi and welcome to the Forum. Good luck making this decision. I got a Sony 505 back in January and really like it,
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:17 AM   #11
biltron
biltron began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad IRex, PRS 505
By chance I have both. I bought the Iliad and then somebody shortly after gave me the Sony 505 as a gift. Anyhow, there are certain advantages of each. First, the Sony has MUCH better power management and the battery lasts many many times longer than the Iliad. the Iliad's bigger display makes a significant difference and is a real positive. I also like the page turning control on the Iliad much more. The Sony is easier to carry around. With the new firmware update the Sony turn-on and off times are nearly instantaneous, while it take maybe 10 seconds for the Iliad to start up. Sony now allows you to reflow PDFs, which is actually a better solution in some ways than the Iliad. When resizing pdfs in the Iliad, part of the page is not visible. Anyhow, before I end up rambling, there are plusses and minuses with each. If I were going to choose only one, I would buy the Sony because it is less expensive and the battery life is so much better.
biltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:42 AM   #12
yolle
yolle began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by biltron View Post
while it take maybe 10 seconds for the Iliad to start up.
is that correct? Because I've heard it takes around 45 second for the iliad to start up, so 10 seconds would actually be great...
yolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:12 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You've heard correctly; the iLiad does take about 45s to boot.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:22 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The screen is the main difference. The 2nd gen "Vizplex" screen of the 505 is dramatically better than the 1st gen eInk screen of the 500. Better contrast, a lighter background, and virtually immune to the "ghosting" that 1st gen screen generally have. Much more readable, especially in poorer lighting.
This used to be true but now there are more differences and it is hard to say which is the main difference. The latest release of firmware for the 505 supports ePUB and reflow on PDF documents. The 500 does not support these. This may now be the major difference depending on your needs.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:46 PM   #15
Professor
Enthusiast
Professor began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
My ebook reader is Hanlin V3, I have used it for a month. It has everything I need, and it works very well.
Professor is offline   Reply With Quote