Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #16
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
My issue is people asking for a resolution to an issue when they have no interest in taking at least the first step by using current vendor released code.

I would think the first step would be to see if there is a solution with the current firmware they are using? Why upgrade to a different firmware, which may introduce different problems.

And this is especially lazy if it is a requirement of the manufacturer. There is nothing more frustrating (hyperbole) then being told "you need to upgrade to the latest firmware", and then being told "this is a known issue" or "sorry, that is the way it is supposed to work".
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #17
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
WOW, okay. Hmm.
Quote:
My issue is people asking for a resolution to an issue when they have no interest in taking at least the first step by using current vendor released code.
I don't recall in any of my posts here asking for help, I was just stating what I had to do to create more shelves. So getting peeved at me for not accepting the suggestion of upgrading my software is a bit out of line.

I am happy with my firmware. Based on my experience with Kobo and their firmware updates they continually add as many bugs as they fix. What I have is stable enough to use to read my books, I'm not jumping on the latest firmware because it's newer and there.

Quote:
I also question font size changes on chapter change. This, if anything, points to issues with the formatting of the content.
Yeah, no it's not, it happens on EVERY book he reads, not just one or two, books that I also have on my reader with no issue.

I thank all of you for your courteous responses.

Last edited by VirgoGirl; 07-09-2013 at 09:14 AM.
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #18
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgoGirl View Post
I only use ADE when I borrow ebooks from my library. Other than that I store my complete ebook collection on a 16G flash card (I have only 2G free ) and on my XHD. I convert my ebooks with Calibre, format them with Sigil, and enjoy them with M&Ms and caffeine free Diet Pepsi.
i have only used calibre to convert books to epub from amazon to read on the kobo. I personally enjoy my books with Empress Lady Grey tea and a couple of bourbons
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #19
VirgoGirl
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookaho!ic View Post
i have only used calibre to convert books to epub from amazon to read on the kobo. I personally enjoy my books with Empress Lady Grey tea and a couple of bourbons
I use Sigil to remove inbedded fonts, to remove errors and to create TOCs, I've even figured out how to merge several ebooks into 1 so I can now have my trilogies all in 1 book as opposed to all over the place.

Your way of enjoying books sounds SO much better than mine, but I do love my M&Ms! Today it's homemade shortbread and Lime Mint tea - I needed a change.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #20
VirgoGirl

Re: Using Calibre to manage Kobo

I forgot to respond to this previously - apologies, I got all righteous and forgot about this very sweet and kind suggestion.

I have read so many people having no problems using Calibre with their Kobos, which is wonderful! The one time - ONE TIME!! - I tried using my Kobo with Calibre it corrupted my Kobo so badly I had to do a factory reset. Luckily I had only 200 ebooks on it at the time, so bringing it back was only a matter of about 30 minutes. Yes, it was back in October 2011, but I haven't tried using it with Calibre since. I even go so far as to try and make sure Calibre is not open when I connect my reader (I've forgotten a few times, twice it froze the Kobo to a paperclip reset).

Now, that could be because I don't update Calibre as rote, only when I need to in order to convert a Mobi that's being stubborn. Or that I don't update my firmware to the current version (as has been noted). Either way, I don't like the risk. The idea of recreating 4 pages of shelves and having to go in and add 1049 books to those shelves (I added more last night) fills me with more dread than giving birth to twins did.

I honestly don't mind removing the SD card and making shelves. It's much faster, I can make five or six shelves at a time and rename them when I want.

But, as always, I sincerely thank you for your genuine offers of help and support.
Advert
Old 07-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #21
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
I tried using my Kobo with Calibre it corrupted my Kobo so badly I had to do a factory reset. Luckily I had only 200 ebooks on it at the time, so bringing it back was only a matter of about 30 minutes. Yes, it was back in October 2011, but I haven't tried using it with Calibre since.
Looking at the date, it's entirely possible that this was an issue with Kobo's firmware rather than with Calibre. I seem to recall people running into issues with database corruption back then, whether they were using Calibre or not.

And I don't blame you for not updating Calibre by rote. It has an obnoxiously frequent update schedule. Then again, I suppose it has to in order to keep up with the latest devices and firmware releases.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #22
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I update Calibre maybe every 10-15 versions or so, or when there's something new added that I find useful. I love that Calibre is constantly updated and improved, showing real dedication of the team behind it and that it will probably be available just about forever for ereaders.

But that doesn't mean you need to update every week. I certainly wouldn't go 2 years though between updates, there are a lot of changes that happen to the firmware on ereaders that could end up not playing nice with a 2 year old version of Calibre.

I also don't blindly update the firmware on my Kobo Glo either, I'm staying at 2.5.1 for now for various reasons. A lot of people don't immediately update unless there's some improvements.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #23
VirgoGirl

Based on the back version installation files I've kept on my HD for Calibre, I'm updating about every 6 months or so. Around that time a mobi from Amazon refuses to covert so it forces me to update. I appreciate the effort that goes into each update - my husband is a software writer so I know that it can take a lot to make changes - but I don't think I need to update every two weeks.

With the Kobo, unless I HAVE to update because of a huge bug or because I'm forced to do a factory reset, I don't do it. The version I have is working fine, I can read my books and make shelves to organize them, I have fonts that work. I have no issue with users who upgrade every time a new firmware version is released, it's just not what I do. If/when I have a big problem, I'll do it. Until then, as my husband has pointed out, if it's working why bother?
Old 07-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #24
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Based on the back version installation files I've kept on my HD for Calibre, I'm updating about every 6 months or so. Around that time a mobi from Amazon refuses to covert so it forces me to update. I appreciate the effort that goes into each update - my husband is a software writer so I know that it can take a lot to make changes - but I don't think I need to update every two weeks.

With the Kobo, unless I HAVE to update because of a huge bug or because I'm forced to do a factory reset, I don't do it. The version I have is working fine, I can read my books and make shelves to organize them, I have fonts that work. I have no issue with users who upgrade every time a new firmware version is released, it's just not what I do. If/when I have a big problem, I'll do it. Until then, as my husband has pointed out, if it's working why bother?
I understand your reluctance to update, I do. But I find that in the end, it's worth it.

As to Calibre--I have around 1600 books in my library currently, and it manages them like a boss. Seriously, the shelf thing used to drive me MAD until I started using Calibre's management system; now it's simple and wonderful and I love it. It also lets me easily manage my series, of which I tend to have a lot.

I update Calibre every time myself--I don't mind the frequency. I'd rather have something that gets attention and tweaks to consistantly improve it, than a piece of software with no support that frustrates me to no end.
Corpsegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:28 AM   #25
lgxkls
lgxkls can extract oil from cheeselgxkls can extract oil from cheeselgxkls can extract oil from cheeselgxkls can extract oil from cheeselgxkls can extract oil from cheeselgxkls can extract oil from cheeselgxkls can extract oil from cheeselgxkls can extract oil from cheeselgxkls can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Glo
I had the problem with the font size changing every chapter, but that was in an earlier software version. The last two updates have eliminated this problem.
lgxkls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #26
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
Quote:
I use Sigil to remove inbedded fonts, to remove errors and to create TOCs, I've even figured out how to merge several ebooks into 1 so I can now have my trilogies all in 1 book as opposed to all over the place.

Your way of enjoying books sounds SO much better than mine, but I do love my M&Ms! Today it's homemade shortbread and Lime Mint tea - I needed a change.
well have just made homemade oat and coconut biscuits and muffins lol
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #27
rayhigh
Zealot
rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo (wife)
Quote:
Yes, I know what you mean. Once indoor plumbing was invented, I never bothered to update my house. Carrying in water from the well worked just fine. Why bother? All my computers still run MS-DOS, too. After all, it works, so why bother?
rayhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #28
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhigh View Post
Yes, I know what you mean. Once indoor plumbing was invented, I never bothered to update my house. Carrying in water from the well worked just fine. Why bother? All my computers still run MS-DOS, too. After all, it works, so why bother?
I'm trying to imagine an MS-DOS computer running off of hydro. Real hydro, not hydroelectricity.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #29
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I'm trying to imagine an MS-DOS computer running off of hydro. Real hydro, not hydroelectricity.
Check Terry Pratchett's Making Money for the Glooper. Don't forget your mac and brolly. For a more serious item, google MONIAC.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #30
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For a more serious item, google MONIAC.
Amazing. It's probably the only economic model where taking a leak can stimulate the economy.

Thanks for the suggestion. I love reading about those early computers because they had very novel solutions for problems back then.