Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-08-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Got my Kobo SD Card: Now What?

Greetings,

I'm not trying to sound dense here, but now that I have this thing, what do I do with it? It did not come with any written instructions and none were communicated to me via e-mail. I've tried inserting it after I put the device into upgrade mode, booting the device with the SD card inside, popping the SD card in after its booted up and, finally, going into upgrade mode with SD card already inserted. Nothing. I checked the SD card; there's a whole linux file system in there, so its not blank. What do I do?

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Greetings,

I'm not trying to sound dense here, but now that I have this thing, what do I do with it? It did not come with any written instructions and none were communicated to me via e-mail. I've tried inserting it after I put the device into upgrade mode, booting the device with the SD card inside, popping the SD card in after its booted up and, finally, going into upgrade mode with SD card already inserted. Nothing. I checked the SD card; there's a whole linux file system in there, so its not blank. What do I do?

Luqman
well that's no good. Should have come with instructions. I'll make sure that's corrected for other customers.

Here's what you do (this will wipe your device, be warned)

1. Turn device off
2. Insert SD card
3. Hold down center dpad ONLY, and while holding it down, power up the device.
4. Wait until you see the 'Firmware upgrade' screen on the device and let go of the dpad.
5. Wait for the process to finish (it will say "Firmware installation complete" or something, I don't remember the exact wording).
6. Take out the SD card
7. Power up the device.

If your device is somehow frozen or won't turn off:
- Instead of using the power button, you can hold down center dpad and RESET with a paperclip, or hold down center dpad and PLUG IN TO CHARGER/COMPUTER.

Let me know how it goes.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How long does the process normally take? I've had the Firmware Update process screen on the reader for about 15 minutes now. At what time should I attempt to reboot the device if there is no change? 30, 45 minutes? The battery should have had a good charge, but the battery life has been very wonky since I did the original upgrade.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
luqmaninbmore
Da'i

FYI, It's had "Preparing Update Files" displayed the whole time, so I don't know if it locked up early in the process.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
luqmaninbmore
Da'i

LOL, apparently I had to push the power button. Now it has booted up and I am getting the message "Firmware Installing" and a blinking blue light.

EDIT: "USB Format
Please Wait..."

Ooh... the suspense...

Firmware Update Complete
Powering on...
Setting Time and Date...
My 100 Free Books are back!
Popping out the Firmware Update SD and popping my ebook SD card. Processing... Bingo. Now, the final test...
USB Connectivity: Check!

Sameer, thank you, gracias, shukriya, shukran jazeeran!

Luqman

Last edited by luqmaninbmore; 07-08-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:25 PM   #6
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
LOL, apparently I had to push the power button. Now it has booted up and I am getting the message "Firmware Installing" and a blinking blue light.

EDIT: "USB Format
Please Wait..."

Ooh... the suspense...

Firmware Update Complete
Powering on...
Setting Time and Date...
My 100 Free Books are back!
Popping out the Firmware Update SD and popping my ebook SD card. Processing... Bingo. Now, the final test...
USB Connectivity: Check!

Sameer, thank you, gracias, shukriya, shukran jazeeran!

Luqman
Strange that you'd have to press power. I've gotten a couple of other reports that customers have had to intervene in that process, usually it just goes on by itself. It may be due to the changes made through your first upgrade attempt.

Well I guess the good news is that you're back in the game.

Wish it hadn't taken so long!
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:22 AM   #7
JOCO_MKNZ
JOCO_MKNZ began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Ereader
just a question luqmaninbmore

Did the SD card update solve your problem when the Kobo was not read as a storage device from the computer?

I am having similar headaches but I did menage to upgrade the firmwire to 1.4 through a usb upgrade. The kobo is however still not read as a storage device by the computer.
JOCO_MKNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:30 AM   #8
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Are the SD cards going to be made available for Australian Kobo owners? Sounds a far smoother upgrade path than via USB.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:05 AM   #9
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Are the SD cards going to be made available for Australian Kobo owners? Sounds a far smoother upgrade path than via USB.
I have a question: why SD card method stays a secret?
Made of gold? Diamonds? Is internet still the way to
get pregnant?
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:47 AM   #10
luqmaninbmore
Da'i

Yes, the SD card method solved all the problems I was having with the device.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #11
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Yes, the SD card method solved all the problems I was having with the device.
That is the reason it should be prevalent way to upgrade.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #12
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... [SD card method] ... should be prevalent way to upgrade ...

Even though the vast majority of owners are having no problems with the "traditional" upgrade method?
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:48 PM   #13
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Not quite so, many Australian users are having problems with the upgrade.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:58 AM   #14
JOCO_MKNZ
JOCO_MKNZ began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Ereader
I would like to have the option to upgrade with an SD card. I dont think usb should be the only method of upgrading just because it doesent it appers to be 100% succesful.

If usb upgrade is 100% succesful I havent got a problem, but since there is a potential for a problem the problem needs to be solved not just for my device, but for all devices. Either put the SD card image on the internet or make upgrade through the internet 100% successful anything less is not good enough.
JOCO_MKNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:13 AM   #15
Stulle
Stulle began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch N905 & N905C
Hello!

I found this pretty old thread. I wonder if this update mechanism would work with a Kobo Touch as well? It's the early version N905 which has no internal SD-card, but a SD-slot for external card.

Thank you very much!

Bye,
Michael
Stulle is offline   Reply With Quote