Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-12-2010, 06:53 PM   #31
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
You get the same message as long as the Kobo is plugged in. If you have done the software eject for your computer, and it hasn't put up any errors, go ahead and unplug the cable.

You even get the same message if you plug in a USB charger!

Does this help? Or do you still have a problem?
No error message, but I kind of assumed it would be like my iPod, when I eject it that I could scroll though what I had installed.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:10 PM   #32
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Mine seems to always go to the "Books I'm Reading" list when it restarts, but I go up to the top line: Books - Documents - then select Books, and then I can scroll through my entire list, or select one of the letters across the top to skip down the list. Is your book showing up there?
Or you can use the menu button and then chose Books or Documents to browse the lists.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2010, 08:17 PM   #33
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiker View Post
That's powering it off. It displays the cover when powered off. I don't want to do that as it takes too long to boot. I'm sure a decent cover would solve this problem. One with an indent to keep the blue button from having any pressure on it.
The Kobo takes only slightly longer than other readers to go back to the "on" state. It's not really powered off with that switch or if it is it boots up far faster than any other reader I've seen. Good luck finding a case that will not depress the D pad.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:39 PM   #34
Gadget Guy
Enthusiast
Gadget Guy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Might be time to exchange this thing....

Well,

I preordered the Kobo, and love it - but the battery life is driving me crazy. I have had to recharge it 3 times since I have had it - initial charge lasted about 600-700 pages, 2nd charge lasted about 450-500, and now I have to recharge again.

I do not think this is normal for an ebook reader. At least - my brother never saw this with his sony, nor did my co-workers with their kindles (note - I am replacing my Kobo with another one - other than a few kinks it is a great device).

GG
Gadget Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #35
pharminator
pharminator began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I've also had battery problems with my Kobo. The initial charge was supposed to take 3 hours, but was completed in only 30 minutes or so. I have 2 charges since (each taking 20 mins or so), each giving me probably 500 page turns on though probably more into the 800-1000 page turns on the current charge, with about one-third of the battery left. I contacted customer support and they said to return the device if I feel it defective (they felt it was), but I want to give it a couple of more charge cycles before they do that. I suspect it is a software rather than a battery problem, and am hoping a few more charge cycles will allow it to "learn" the battery's size. From the looks of this thread, the Kobo appears to have some fairly serious problems with its battery. What is everyone else planning on doing with the Kobo's with the short battery life?
pharminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2010, 11:22 PM   #36
pharminator
pharminator began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Guy View Post
(note - I am replacing my Kobo with another one - other than a few kinks it is a great device).

GG
Can you let me know if your new device clears up your problem? The Kobo tech support said I can have my device replaced, I just don't want to swap this unit for another with the same problem.
pharminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:52 PM   #37
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
The Kobo takes only slightly longer than other readers to go back to the "on" state. It's not really powered off with that switch or if it is it boots up far faster than any other reader I've seen. Good luck finding a case that will not depress the D pad.
I'm hoping I won't have to go looking for a cover with an indent but that Kobo in their infinite wisdom will be selling one made for their device. Seems reasonable, no?
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #38
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Are you sure? My pocket pro boots in about 20 seconds while the Kobo takes 35 seconds and mine as a keyboard lock that will recover in about 2 seconds.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:48 PM   #39
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I timed my Kobo switching from just showing the cover to returning to the home page and it was not quite 10 seconds. It takes an additional 8 to 9 seconds to reopen the book. I really wish that you were put back into the book instead of having to reload the book.

However, it can take up to 25 seconds to return to the home page from the cover. There seems to be no pattern to whether it takes 10 seconds or 25. Even with the same book.

No idea if the Kobo truly powers down or it's a button lock. The owner's manual is sparse.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:28 PM   #40
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Mine is about 25 second to the I'm Reading list. Then load time for book.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:30 PM   #41
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
No idea if the Kobo truly powers down or it's a button lock. The owner's manual is sparse.
I found a FAQ on the official forums about this when I was poking around a couple days ago, it is actually powered off.

http://kobo.zendesk.com/entries/1706...reen-is-it-off

Quote:
I tried to turn my eReader off, but it’s still showing something on the screen. Is it off?

E-Ink technology allows the device to keep images on the screen without using any power. When you turn your eReader off, the device will display the cover of the last book you were reading, or a generic Kobo screen if you were not reading a book. Rest assured that this state is not draining your battery, and the device is definitely OFF.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #42
neiljthomson
neiljthomson began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
It gets worse

Second charge - still in the 800 page range.

Plugged in. Red light on after 2 hours. Eject, boot - 1/2 battery shown in display! Red light does NOT go off. Power off, power on - 1/4 batter shown in display!

Plug back in to computer - no red light!

There's something seriously wrong here....
neiljthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:04 PM   #43
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

My second charge gave me about the same number of page turns but I recharged at about 20% battery.

After the first time I recharged I had the same issue with the red light staying on until I did a power off and then on. Did you let the battery run all the way out? That's what happened to me after the first charge when I let the battery run all the way down.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:31 AM   #44
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

It is never a good idea to let lithium-ion batteries discharge completely. In fact, if you do so, it will damage the cells.

Unlike the old NiMH or NiCD rechargeable, lithium batteries do not have any kind of memory effect and do not need any cycling at all. Nightly charging is good for them, as they like to be kept warm.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #45
PenelopeWeaving
PenelopeWeaving began at the beginning.

I'm having what seems to be a common problem with regard to the red light - mine NEVER comes on. I plugged my Kobo in overnight and this morning - no red light. Turned it on and the little battery icon shows it to be fully charged. Guess I'll learn to live with it.
PenelopeWeaving is offline   Reply With Quote