Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-05-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
emily
emily began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Reader Library issues

I have recently had trouble opening the Reader Library software. I have a Mac, and when I open the program it doesn't actually do anything - the words "Reader Library" appear on the top menu bar, but there are no options or program window. I cannot close the program except through a force quit.

I uninstalled, restarted my computer, and then downloaded Reader Library again from the Sony website, but that doesn't seem to fix the problem. I usually use Calibre to organize my ebooks, but I have two purchases that I'd like to make on the Library store, and I can't download those to my reader through Calibre (DRM troubles, REALLY frustrating).

Anyone have a similar issue?
emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
HarmonS
Enthusiast
HarmonS began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
There is maybe some issues with the Mac version. I installed it on my wife's iMac (running 10.4.11) and the computer's sleep function quit working. Only way I could fix it was to disable sleep and just run it with just a screen saver. My wife was so irate about it that I haven't even tried to use the sony library software on there since. I run a linux box myself and of course there is no linux version, but I use vmware under linux to open a window running windoze xp just to run things like the sony library. It works but it's an extra hassle to use. OTOH, I'm very glad the calibre got the kinks out of it's linux version and now I can use that nice program to do everything but put drm books on my reader. So what I do with my 950 now is just look the books up on the web at the sony ebookstore, then if I decide to buy them, I purchase them and download them directly to the reader over the 3g network.
HarmonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2011, 05:38 PM   #3
emily
emily began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Frustrating! I don't have the internet connection on my 600, so I can't do that.
emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Last time I used the Sony Library on my Mac was a couple of days ago. There was no problem. I have Snow leopard 1.6 whatever? I forget the rest of the numbers. I'll try again tonight when I get home & see if there is an issue.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Try this... it's happened before to other people...

"Sony software left behinde some remaining, even after uninstall.
This remainings prevent a proper new-installation and programm operation.

Remainings are in folders \fsk for Mac and \kinoma for Windows"

Look at thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=127640
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I just started having the same problem on a PC using Windows 7 64 bit. Yesterday it went totally unresponsive. A soft boot didn't help. A hard boot got it working again. It happened again today. I use Reader Library 3.3 - the latest version.

I contacted Sony CS and they thought it was my anti-virus software. McAfee just did a program upgrade right before the problem started. Thus, maybe their next upgrade will fix the Sony Reader Library problem.

Last edited by sirmaru; 04-11-2011 at 09:17 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
unicorn1
unicorn1 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650
I don't know if this will help you but when I had my computer reformatted I wasn't able to reinstall my Sony Reader software, nothing would work and I couldn't access my previously purchased books. I contacted Sony and they had someone access my computer (I had to give permission for this) and he set it all up and fixed everything for me!! It was amazing customer service and I was back in business in no time! I would try contacting them and maybe they can do the same for you.
unicorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:39 AM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I had a problem yesterday that looked like yours, and I was running on a PC. It happened two times in a row I think, but when I rebooted, it seemed to be OK. It started fine this morning.

A noticed that there were two entries in Task Manager for Reader Library.exe, when the problem occured.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:32 PM   #9
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
I think that the reader program uses Adobe Flash, and there was a security problem which Adobe updated yesterday. Check to see if your flash is updated by going to the website. I had a lot of program crashes until they updated.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:42 AM   #10
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The Reader Library does not use Flash.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:41 AM   #11
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
I have 2 Macs. one will run the sony software and the other does what you are saying. sits on the task bar but does not do anything then I have to force quit the programme. Wonder why?
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:18 AM   #12
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I had this same problem today and fixed it with info from other threads here. I uninstalled and reinstalled, installed Adobe Digital Editions, nothing worked. What I posted in one of the other threads in another forum on how I fixed it:

Quote:
Well this problem finally hit me today (not that I use the Sony Reader often, it's been several months since I last started it up, I use Calibre). Start the Reader software and I'd get the momentary wait icon and then nothing. Bringing up the Windows Task Manager would show the Reader Library program as running though and I'd have to forcefully close it from that window.

Uninstalled and reinstalled it, no change. Found the post with the DEF workaround (post #44 by aspweb), made the change for WinXP, no change, still wouldn't start.

Then followed the directions in post #111 by Cxrman in this thread about deleting certain system files. Since I had already tried uninstalling/reinstalling, I just deleted the files mentioned in that post, reinstalled the Sony Reader without uninstalling, and that worked perfectly to fix the problem, it now starts up as it should.

Thank you, Cxrman, for posting that solution.

Edit: I should also mention that I'm running the newest software version, 3.3, so even though this thread is several months old, the solution is still the best one.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:00 AM   #13
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Exactly, in my experience serious problems with the Reader Library are usually being caused by a corrupted database. As the Library isn't a particularly well made piece of software it is no great surprise that you aren't being asked if you want to deinstall the database as well when you deinstall the software.
The disadvantage of deinstalling the database is obviously that you have to reload all of your books. For that reason I have started to copy and save the database into a separate folder every couple of days. When things go wrong just replace the current database with the last working one and you only have to reload the books that you have loaded in the meantime (perhaps one of those created the problem).
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs 600, reader library, sony reader