Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 11-18-2014, 08:21 PM   #1036
Red Falcon
Addict
Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Today I started Bleak House by Charles Dickens. It will take a lot of walking to get through this one, but the introduction and first two chapters were extremely enjoyable.
I have Bleak House (David Case), David Copperfield (Simon Vance) & Great Exceptions (Martin Jarvis) lined up to listen to in 2015.

Right now I am listening to Captain Blood narrated by Robert Whitfield (Simon Vance) and my next audio book will probably be either The Phantom of the Opera or The Prisoner of Zenda from the Kindle Unlimited program.
Red Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:15 AM   #1037
TheRevolutionist
TheRevolutionist began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
The latest books Humble Bundle is a bunch of children's/YA audiobooks from Scholastic, including 'The Hunger Games' trilogy (pay $15 or more to unlock all three), 'War Horse' and a bunch of others. That's me sorted for audiobooks for a while...
https://www.humblebundle.com/books
TheRevolutionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #1038
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I'm now going to read the The Slow Regard of Silent Things, read by the author. This book is a short work (a mere 3 1/2 hours), and not at all part of the main story line. But I'm looking forward to learning more about Auri, an interesting secondary character in the main books.
Well, that was a strange but quite delightful little novella. I really, really enjoyed it. It's not a typical novel, there's very little action, no dialog, and only a single character. But if you've read Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear, the first two books in the Kingkiller Chronicle, then I definitely recommend it. (If you haven't read The Name of the Wind, then run right out and get it. Either the regular book version or the excellent audio book version read by Nick Podehl.)

This is one of those rare examples where I actually like a book read by the author. Mostly, authors should stick to writing, and leave audio performances to the professionals. But with this book being told entirely from the third person, and having absolutely no dialog, Mr. Rothfuss does a quite appropriate and enjoyable read.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:34 AM   #1039
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I'm listening to Stephen Fry's third volume of his autobiography, More Fool Me. So much richer an experience than reading it off the page, as it is expressively narrated by the great man himself.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:40 AM   #1040
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I'm listening to Stephen Fry's third volume of his autobiography, More Fool Me. So much richer an experience than reading it off the page, as it is expressively narrated by the great man himself.
I'm really going to have to read that. Heck, I could listen to Stephen Fry read the London phonebook. (OT: What's British for "phonebook")
Old 11-19-2014, 11:48 AM   #1041
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm really going to have to read that. Heck, I could listen to Stephen Fry read the London phonebook. (OT: What's British for "phonebook")
Generally known as the Telephone Directory (or Yellow Pages for the business listings).
Old 11-19-2014, 12:01 PM   #1042
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Thanks!

But, sadly, it looks like none of the Fry biographies are available in North America via Audible.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:39 PM   #1043
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Thanks!

But, sadly, it looks like none of the Fry biographies are available in North America via Audible.
That's unfortunate - mine is from Audible UK. I assume you aren't able to access/pay for the UK version?
Old 11-19-2014, 01:39 PM   #1044
CRussel
(he/him/his)

I've already got two audible accounts, a third seems a bit much. I _have_ considered setting up both Amazon and Audible UK accounts, but just haven't quite found a compelling reason to. But there are a fair number of little ones, none by themselves enough. (Another reason -- the Ben Aaronovitch books that are out there as much as a year before they make it here. )
Old 11-19-2014, 05:11 PM   #1045
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post

Right now, I'm listening to a slightly obscure book, The Alexandrian Ring, by William Forstchen. Forstchen is actually a fairly prolific author who writes a lot of combat based fiction and SF and is best known for his Lost Regiment series and Alternate history books with Newt Gingrich. So far, it's pretty well done.
Finished up The Alexandrian Ring. It's a pleasant listen, one of those mid-listers that one hears and enjoys. I would recommend it. It's been so long since I read the paper version that I had forgotten much of what happens.

Just started Dead Six, by Larry Correia. It's quite a bit different than his Monster Hunters series. It's more from the Thrillers genre rather than SF&F.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:46 PM   #1046
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
I'll have to let you know when I get back in town. At the moment I'm away from my home computer which has all that information. What I do know is that the lady who narrated this particular version for Librivox is an excellent reader. Sometimes the best things in life are free.
Quote:
Mil Nicholson is that excellent reader, and her version (Librivox Bleak House version 3) can be downloaded from this page in various formats.
Thanks! I agree, sometimes the best things in life are free. Glad you're enjoying it. I got mine from Audible. I'm about halfway through now and think it's one of Dickens' best. At the rate I'm going, I probably won't be done with it until sometime in December.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:36 AM   #1047
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
I've already got two audible accounts, a third seems a bit much. I _have_ considered setting up both Amazon and Audible UK accounts, but just haven't quite found a compelling reason to. But there are a fair number of little ones, none by themselves enough. (Another reason -- the Ben Aaronovitch books that are out there as much as a year before they make it here. )
I have just started reading the first of the Peter Grant series by Aaronovitch (called Rivers of London in the UK, as previously discussed in the what are you reading thread). Very good so far, so thanks for those who recommended it . Are you listening to the audio version of the series?
Old 11-20-2014, 06:19 AM   #1048
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I have just started reading the first of the Peter Grant series by Aaronovitch (called Rivers of London in the UK, as previously discussed in the what are you reading thread). Very good so far, so thanks for those who recommended it . Are you listening to the audio version of the series?
Yes, I've been reading both the ebook and the audio book versions. I think the narrator is excellent.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:58 AM   #1049
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Currently reading Venetia, by Georgette Heyer, and read by Phyllida Nash. A delightful bit of fluff. (Be warned, there are two versions on Audible, and one is abridged. You want the unabridged one read by Ms. Nash.)
Old 11-23-2014, 07:58 AM   #1050
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Just finished The Darkening (Immortals 2) by Robin T Popp and moved onto The Undead Next Door (Love at Stake 4) by Kerrelyn Sparks.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations