Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-30-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
mfaine
Member Retired
mfaine began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Syncing library

How do I maintain (sync) the same libraries on multiple computers. I'd like to keep my books at work and at home but I can see where that might be difficult. There are firewall issues preventing me from accessing my home PC from work.
It seems the only workable way to do this is to carry all of my books and Calibre database to work with me on a portable usb drive? Is there a portable version of Calibre in the works?
mfaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just google portable calibre
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
JvdW
Zealot
JvdW doesn't litterJvdW doesn't litter

Device: Palm T5, Sony PRS-505, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaine View Post
It seems the only workable way to do this is to carry all of my books and Calibre database to work with me on a portable usb drive? Is there a portable version of Calibre in the works?
Calibre is portable but you'll need to start it from a batch file instead of directly plus it would be nice if the usb drive does have the same drive letter at home and at work.
Something like the following:

Code:
@echo off
setlocal
set CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY=.\Apps\Calibre\config
set PATH=%PATH%;.\Apps\Calibre\calibre
.\Apps\Calibre\calibre\calibre.exe --with-library .\Library
exit
Just tried it on my usb drive and it looks like it works. Its not fast but that might be cause of my usb drive being seen as usb 1.1 at the moment.

Regards,

Joop
JvdW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I used to run calibre from an USB drive while I was deployed and it worked quite well. All I did was use the windows installer and point to my usb drive when asked for install directory.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Attached is a Windows batch file that can easily be used to run Calibre from a USB drive if required. It can also be used to start Calibre in various non-standard configurations such as with the library or metadata database in specfific locations. It has extensive comments so set up your Calibre to run as you like.
Attached Files
File Type: bat CalibreRun.bat (2.5 KB, 226 views)
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
mfaine
Member Retired
mfaine began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I was able to get it installed on a USB drive and it seems to work though it is quite a bit slower. Also, rcuadro, how were you able to get the installer to install to a usb drive? I tried but the installer specifically said that it had to be a hard disk and would not allow it.
mfaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaine View Post
I was able to get it installed on a USB drive and it seems to work though it is quite a bit slower. Also, rcuadro, how were you able to get the installer to install to a usb drive? I tried but the installer specifically said that it had to be a hard disk and would not allow it.
Well I'll be damned... it sure does not let you install it right to the USB drive. Huh, I guess I did it a while ago (March this year).
However I just installed it on my computer and then copied the directory to the USB drive and it worked fine... though a little slow thought that would be expected.
Attached is a screen shot... this is on Windows 7 running on Leopard under Parallels
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2009-11-02 at 4.40.22 PM.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	38471  

Last edited by rcuadro; 11-02-2009 at 04:41 PM.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote