Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-30-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD!
Controlling Calibre's Splits for epubs.

I've got one html file that isn't splitting well with calibre. (see attached pic). there are in fact 7 major sections with 93 chapters in the file - differentiated with lines, H1 and H2, but the splits being generated by calibre has some 600+k files, which is making the epub-iness reader on the sony 700 choke (page error). I think.

Is there a way to force splits into the epub output without cutting up the file into sub-files? Seems to work ok with LRF, but then, it doesn't care about that darn 300k limit.....

-bjc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	splits.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	20132  
brewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:01 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre splits on page breaks first. Set you chapter detection to

//h1

and chapter mark to page break and it should automatically split at the start of each chapter
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Man, this has been just stumping me - thank you.

Would it be oh-too-much-to-ask to suggest some kind of an output report from epub-making that would warn of pieces in the epub being bigger than 300k? I've been beating my head against the wall for some a week (a whole week!) now, as it is the reading devices that have the problem with the 300k limit, not the reading softwares on the computers.

Epubcheck doesn't pipe output to a file, so if I've got a gazillion warnings, it's hard to catch the over-sized-edness of a piece in a dos window.

I've got one file that has 1200+k in a css, for example. (Converted from an pdf-then-rtf file that was destined for print, and whoever made that, made it totally beautiful for print, with oodles of individual styles for individual lines. No darn good for electro-reading, but great for paper.)

Thanks again for your help and consideration.

-bjc
Old 12-31-2008, 03:04 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
click on the hourglass, double click on the job name and you will get detailed output from the conversion process.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:10 PM   #5
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer

Beautiful.

Could it maybe include css sizes? If they're bad? I've got one left that still has a css of 600+k. Or is that just negligence on my part?

Ok, so I'm lazy.

-bjc

Last edited by brewt; 12-31-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Advert