Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-23-2008, 04:54 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Asus Eee PC makes me sad

Wanted to buy the Asus Eee today, the small one (701 4G). Figured out its screen was a tad too small for me, so I went home with empty hands.

Online, I discovered the larger Eee, the 900 with a 8.9" screen. I was going for the 20G variant with Linux installed. Alas, it's not on sale yet, at least in Germany. Not giving up, I found a few Swiss stores who claimed to have the 900 in stock (grey imports, but who cares...).

I was almost about to hit the order button when Google revealed that Asus was already phasing out the 900 in favor of the newer 901 model, equipped with Intel's new Atom CPU (=better battery performance).

Of course no hint of the 901, neither in German, nor Swiss nor US online stores. And no, I still didn't give up. On Ebay, I found a couple of HongKong sellers who promised to have the 901 in stock and to send it overseas, world-wide. But at horrendous shipping costs, and with a Chinese/English keyboard.

At the end of the day, I spent two hours chasing the ghost of a device that is not even on sale in my country yet -- only to discover that it got already replaced by another device (with no word of a shipping date).
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:00 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
That is annoying, Alex.

I spent ages looking for an eee (4G) before they were available in the UK. Eventually I just gave up and waited until they appeared in a local computer shop. The 701 4G screen is a bit small, but I just put some reading glasses on. It's the tiny keyboard that takes getting used to.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
oh boy. that would drive me completely mad. some days, i love technology. other days, i believe it is some sort of evil joke played on us by a sadistic god (/alien overlord / squirrels / whathaveyou). i imagine today your conviction is probably the latter.

but the thing about technology is, maybe tomorrow you will get a newsletter from your favorite tech store, announcing new arrival of 901 for next week... i'll cross my fingers for you.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
You probably already found these, but one of the major advantages of the Eee over its competitors is eeeuser.com which has a very active forum and a populated wiki. For other netbooks, the best I have found is netbookuser.com which is not nearly as good.

The Acer Aspire One is shaping up as an inexpensive competitor to the Eee 901, if you don't mind running Linux. How far we have come in 8 months, when an Eee competitor can be described as inexpensive!
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:58 PM   #5
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
You do realize they have also come out with the 1000 and 1000H??
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2008, 06:46 PM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
You do realize they have also come out with the 1000 and 1000H??
Yes, I do! Also very attractive, but for me, the 900/901 seems like the perfect size in regard to portability and usability.

For normal day mobile work, I use a Lenovo T61p... only when I travel it's often too heavy when I don't need most of it's "power".
Old 06-23-2008, 06:50 PM   #7
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Yes, I do! Also very attractive, but for me, the 900/901 seems like the perfect size in regard to portability and usability.

For normal day mobile work, I use a Lenovo T61p... only when I travel it's often too heavy when I don't need most of it's "power".
Well, it looks like it's pretty easy to get them here. They are in stock at several places. Would you like me to pick one up and send it to you??
Old 06-23-2008, 09:21 PM   #8
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
At the end of the day, I spent two hours chasing the ghost of a device that is not even on sale in my country yet -- only to discover that it got already replaced by another device (with no word of a shipping date).
In Australia we call that "the way the world works". We're apparently quite often a long, long way from being anything much more than a way to clear out last season's stock.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:02 AM   #9
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Alex, you may also consider the MSI Wind U100 which is due to come out these days.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:19 AM   #10
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
To me, netbooks are like BBQ, I'm still looking for a good joint. And a netbook "good joint" would let me rotate the screen 180 degrees so I can fold it over the keyboard with the screen facing out (like a PMP). Then I can use it as an e-book reader or a PMP. But nobody wants to build one that way...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:23 AM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
To me, netbooks are like BBQ, I'm still looking for a good joint. And a netbook "good joint" would let me rotate the screen 180 degrees so I can fold it over the keyboard with the screen facing out (like a PMP). Then I can use it as an e-book reader or a PMP. But nobody wants to build one that way...
MicroSoft won't let WIndows XP tablet edition on a netbook. Vista is actually a good tablet O/S, but way to expensive and resource hungry for netbooks. Linux runs perfectly well on a touch screen, so perhaps we will see a convertible netbook eventually.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:41 PM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Sooo... I am down to two choices: the Acer Aspire One 150L (8.9", 1GB Ram, 120GB HDD, Intel Atom 1.6) or the MSI Wind (10.2", 1GB Ram, 80GB HDD, Intel Atom 1.6).

The Acer is slightly cheaper, because it comes preinstalled with Linux -- the MSI will only be available with Windows in the beginning. The Acer has the smaller screen, but it's also lighter and I like its design better. On the other hand, the MSI is easier to upgrade (RAM is not soldered on the motherboard). Oh, and the MSI comes out one month later (the Acer is rumored to be released in a week or so in Germany).

Decisions, decisions, decisions... I hate them!
Old 07-02-2008, 05:55 PM   #13
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
ASUS 901 ships on 18 July according to stuff I found (somewhere) online. Can you wait 2 weeks?

I'm thinking about pre-ordering, but they want immediate payment, which makes me a bit nervous. Would like to have the ASUS in hand by 6 August to take to a computer conference. (Though I will still have to take my IBM T41 with me as well.)
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:53 PM   #14
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Sooo... I am down to two choices: the Acer Aspire One 150L (8.9", 1GB Ram, 120GB HDD, Intel Atom 1.6) or the MSI Wind (10.2", 1GB Ram, 80GB HDD, Intel Atom 1.6).

The Acer is slightly cheaper, because it comes preinstalled with Linux -- the MSI will only be available with Windows in the beginning. The Acer has the smaller screen, but it's also lighter and I like its design better. On the other hand, the MSI is easier to upgrade (RAM is not soldered on the motherboard). Oh, and the MSI comes out one month later (the Acer is rumored to be released in a week or so in Germany).

Decisions, decisions, decisions... I hate them!
So ... why not just get the Asus 901?? Or, am I missing something??
Old 07-02-2008, 07:41 PM   #15
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
It may ship, but does it ship to Switzerland?
(--which is where Alex is located.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asus eee