Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
Konakathie
Konakathie began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
please help with final steps

Hi. I've downloaded calibre to my laptop and set up the newsfeeds I want....but how do I get the content to my kindle fire (I don't know which model, but it's about 2 years old.) I've looked everywhere on the website and Faq's and can't find out!
I downloaded companion as I thought that might be the missing link, but it says it doesn't work on the fire! I'm amazed Amazon sells apps for readers that don't even work on their own products.
Anyway'any help at all would be so wonderful. I really just want it for news, and don't care about organizing my books. Thanks!
Konakathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
Konakathie

Seriously,people, no one is willing or able to help? I'm desperate here.
Advert
Old 05-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You have to be kidding: DESPERATE?

What is wrong with setting up Get News and Mail News to email downloaded news to your Kindle Account (Will appear as a PERSONAL DOC as only AMAZON can send NEWS)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
Konakathie

Thanks a bunch, ducks.

I had already done that, but nothing shows up in my docs. Thanks for belittling me and making me feel stupid in a public forum, I hope you feel superior. I have struggled with getting this to work for hours, as I have to occupy myself in a situation where I won't have wi-fi. Sorry my question was so moronic for you. I won't bother you elites any more.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Code:
Adjective

Feeling, showing, or involving a hopeless sense that a situation is so bad as to be impossible to deal with.
    (of an act or attempt) Tried in despair or when everything else has failed; having little hope of success.
Don't you think that you over stated?

Perplexed, frustrated does not in any way equal desperate.
It was your choice of Adjective AND the second post.

You left out a whole lot of useful (to us helpers) information

Fire HD check

PC What OS (and release), what did you do to configure Calibre (content/wireless) server, <=Assume you are trying some sort of Wireless since you mentioned Calibre companion (does the Fire run Android?)

And did you send a MOBI version of News. I know Kindles do Mobi . The mail may have failed simply because there was not a Kindle type file
Advert
Old 05-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Maybe you somehow ended up with your news in ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #7
Konakathie

My PC is on windows 7, have Kindle Fire.

In answer to some of your questions, I'm running Windows 7 on my PC and I have a Kindle Fire (not HD.) I don't know which model, got it for xmas 2 years ago, if that helps.
I have my newsfeed set up to email to myname@kindle.com, which is what is displayed on the top of my "documents" page. The feed is is set to send in MOBI format. Calibre says it's sent, but then I cannot find it on the kindle. It's not in the documents file. I've sent myself pictures in the past to that folder, so I am mystified as to what may be going on. I can't find any answer on the Calibre website or FAQs.
I'd really like to be able to use this feature!
Old 05-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
Konakathie

I tried disabling AVAST for awhile to see if it would help, no dice.
Sent myself a picture file from the PC, it went into the docs file no problem.
I just checked all my steps again and tried to download the news. Here's the error message I get from Calibre:

Starting job: Email New York Times Book Review to kathierost@kindle.com

Sending failed...

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 37, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 114, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 94, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 86, in sendmail_direct
IOError: Failed to send mail: SMTPServerDisconnected('Connection unexpectedly closed',)

Retrying in 1 seconds...

Sending failed...

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 37, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 114, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 94, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 86, in sendmail_direct
IOError: Failed to send mail: SMTPServerDisconnected('Connection unexpectedly closed',)

Job: "Email New York Times Book Review to kathierost@kindle.com" failed with error:
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\threaded_jobs.py", line 83, in start_work
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 92, in __call__

Called with args: (u'D:\\Users\\Rost\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_ 9mugja\\qz7l32caltmpfmt.mobi', u'New York Times Book Review - calibre.mobi', u'kathierost@kindle.com', u'E-book: New York Times Book Review', u'Attached, you will find the e-book\n\nNew York Times Book Review\n\tby calibre\n\nin the MOBI format.') {u'notifications': <Queue.Queue instance at 0x054C58C8>, u'abort': <threading._Event object at 0x054F0F90>, u'log': <calibre.utils.logging.GUILog object at 0x054F0E50>}

And where in the world is e-pub on the kindle? I assume that would be in the "books" file. (no, it's not there.) Just another thing I don't know.

I just don't get it. Kathierost@kindle.com is the address I set the kindle to when I registered it. I'm sending via my Gmail address which I use every day.I don't know if the error is on the sending end or the receiving end.

Last edited by Konakathie; 05-04-2013 at 08:57 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
Konakathie

Please help, guys. I re-watched the tutorial and still can't get my newsfeed to work.
I ask Calibre to "download all scheduled news sources", and it downloads for a minute. Then I get a pop-up: "Failed.Email CNN to [my email address]. I can email thru both hotmail and Gmail to my kindle from any other source.

Any ideas? Do you think the problem is how I have Calibre set up on my computer, not the kindle that is at fault?

Old 05-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Did you explicitly add your gmail address to the list of addresses approved to send documents to your Kindle device? In your Amazon account settings?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #11
Konakathie

Yes, Diapdealer, thank you for responding. I explicitly made it my default email address, on kindle and on the Amazon site. And it's still happening. This is on two computers now, since I thought maybe something peculiar about the first one was happening.

I am just so discouraged about this. I used to work in news, and read several newspapers daily. I'd love to keep doing so, but I spend a lot of time without a wifi connection, so Calibre seemed like the perfect solution.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:44 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Have you reviewed the FAQ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Reviewing the thread it looks like the only thing you didn't try was temporarily disabling your anti-virus. A recent update may be blocking the connection.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-25-2013 at 05:47 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:18 AM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Have you reviewed the FAQ?

Reviewing the thread it looks like the only thing you didn't try was temporarily disabling your anti-virus. A recent update may be blocking the connection.
first line post #8 says "I tried disabling AVAST for awhile to see if it would help, no dice."

I assume that's the AntiVirus AVAST

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
first line post #8 says "I tried disabling AVAST for awhile to see if it would help, no dice."

I assume that's the AntiVirus AVAST

BR
Blame the industry for blurring the lines

Anti-virus programs don't block ports. Firewall's do.

Anti-malicious tools (includes spyware) can.

The confusion is because some of the old names have become (bloated) security suites.

IMHO another issue is the default configuration of silently doing the job. The user loses the learning experience of having their Internet browsing behavior corrected. Sort of like standing up in class to answer 'How much is 2 + 2' and not having anyone correct you when you answer '5'
Old 05-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Blame the industry for blurring the lines

Anti-virus programs don't block ports. Firewall's do.

Anti-malicious tools (includes spyware) can.

The confusion is because some of the old names have become (bloated) security suites.

IMHO another issue is the default configuration of silently doing the job. The user loses the learning experience of having their Internet browsing behavior corrected. Sort of like standing up in class to answer 'How much is 2 + 2' and not having anyone correct you when you answer '5'
I was only intending to give the Doc a heads up that the OP had already done as he suggested.

I hear what you say - I would add that blaming security is more often than not suggested when people cant think of something plausible. The majority of 'disable your av, firewall etc' suggestions just waste the OPS time - not all, just most.

Blocking can also occur at local router and the ISP.

But given the OP can send stuff to her kindle mailbox manually from the same computer and presumably through the same firewall, router etc then its unlikely to be any of those things. It could be the ISP, some of them get touchy about some MIME types and sizes.

I don't use this feature so there's not much I can add, except:-
  1. If its possible I would download the news item to my desktop
  2. Then I would manually initiate the mailing of it, via calibre, to my Kindle Address.
  3. If that works then one can be reasonably certain that its not an infrastructure issue.

Apologies if none of the above is possible or if the OP has already tried this - as I said I don't use this feature.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote