Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-16-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
HugoLover
HugoLover began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
E-Ink Screen versus LCD Vox Screen

Hello All.

Just wondering what those of you who have e-ink screens and have switched to the Vox think of the reading experience? I bought a Vox and returned it because I found that the screen was very hard on my eyes (and yes, I did turn down the brightness). I just find that for reading (which is why I have the ereader, not so much for the "tablet features") it's not ideal compared to the e-ink of previous Kobos.

Any thoughts?
HugoLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
I have to agree that it's not as ideal as the e-ink screens. What I liked about the Kobo's before was the e-ink screens but though I wanted one was never tempted enough to buy it. I just played with them while at work and sold lots with the very line that they're really easy on the eyes, as a person who can't read too long off of the computer screen I'd been able to read for hours at work (when they first came out) on the kobo.

That said, even though I loved that fact I convinced myself to not get one of those but the Vox. It is mainly because of the tablet features I wanted it though. I was too poor for any other high-end tablet that this really stuck and convinced myself on a whim to buy it, not even a week ago.

Reading on the Vox isn't so bad I think really, I prefer reading in 'night' mode all the time as I find that's easier on my eyes than the harsh white background that is day mode. There's much less eyestrain this way and I like it. I don't much regret the purchase, after following the guides and posts here I got it set up nicely with only one small annoying glitch - randomly making noise like getting a message but getting nothing.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 04:31 PM   #3
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
I used an eInk reader for a year and thoroughly loved the eInk experience. So very easy on the eyes, but needing a reading light was a hassle (I didn't read paper books in low light previous to owning an ereader).

The Vox, with the Reader app brightness set to almost 0, I find to be acceptable as a reader in low light situations, and I brighten it slightly in regular light. I managed to find that a low setting made the Reader similar in readability (as well as grayish in colour and contrast similar to eInk) without any eye strain. I found the "Night mode" intolerable as the white text on a black background was like needles in my eyes (not to mention that this colour reversal is distinctly unnatural compared to regular books).

I'm glad I'm finding the Vox a suitable reader in all lighting situations as it allows me to use the Vox as both a colour tablet and as an ereader, and eliminates the book light.
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
pulsar
Connoisseur
pulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfolded

Device: kindle 3, kobo vox
I have both Kindle 3 and Kobo Vox, and so far have only been using the Vox for things I can't possibly do on Kindle - like reading colour books. I find Kindle 3 much better for regular reading than Kobo Vox.
pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I find my Kobo Touch much better for extended reading than the Vox. I am though enjoying the Pulse sorta stuff a bit. When Pulse comes to the Touch, I expect it to cut my Vox reading down even more.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
GJSmith
Connoisseur
GJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Vox
No one is mentioning this "special" glass that Vox is using. Is it special? does it make a difference in reading outdoors?
GJSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It is special, and I think it makes a difference. I say I "think" it makes a difference, because we have not had the same kind of sun here in Central Alberta in November that folks have in the middle of the summer here or that folks closer to the equator have most of the year.

You will also want to turn down your screen brightness when you read outdoors.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #8
Jesslynne
Zealot

I can't say too much for it either, November whether here doesn't allow for a lot of sunlight to contend with any sort of glare. I know in store with fluorescent though there's a manageable amount of glare even locked in place above a light. Nothing as spectacular as the e-ink giving only the barest hint of glare ever though.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Hmm maybe a bit off toipc but can the vox print to a networked printer?
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:25 PM   #10
HugoLover
HugoLover began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
So am I making a correct statement in saying that lots of people bought the Vox as more of a tablet than ereader? Lots of you are saying that you're still using your respective e-ink ereaders for reading and extended reading. So why purchase the Vox if not for reading purposes? At that point wouldn't it just make sense to purchase a tablet? Or is the cost an issue and this is a cheaper alternative to buying a tablet?
HugoLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:55 PM   #11
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I was thinking of buying a BB Playbook but didn't want to pay almost $400 for the base model. This was an inexpensive alternative.
article comparing tablets (including prices) at this link
http http://www.tabletpccomparison.net/tablet-pc-prices ://
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:02 AM   #12
msxman
Enthusiast
msxman began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox, kindle 2
I have to wonder if someday someone will be able to invent something that is a combination e-ink for book reading and a switch or something for colour tablet-like stuff. THAT would be the best combo!
msxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:46 AM   #13
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I agree with the others that I enjoy reading more on my e-ink device. I read when I nurse my son at night (in fact he now insists I read). The Vox gets too heavy doing this with one hand and it is not as comfortable on the eyes. It is not bad though. I find I read my novels generally on my e-ink and use the vox for magazines etc as well as for the tablet features. My kids and dh have been playing angry birds a lot and would love to have netflix working as well. We want a higher end table at some point, but it was too expensive for our budget right now especially since we wanted the option of my dh and I each getting one. This is a nice compromise for that. I think eventually this may become the kids tablet but we are all enjoying it right now. We seem to be charging all the time since so many are using it.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:11 PM   #14
Jesslynne
Zealot

Having a sunny day here I can comment on the special glass used. It's much better than I'd suspected it to be. Very legible and I'd had an easy time reading, nothing like a computer screen blacking out because it's too bright.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #15
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
The Touch isn't really a 'previous' version of Kobo eReader - the Touch and Vox are intended to co-exist. It is simply a choice between more dedicated reader and a more multifunctional device. There are tradeoffs with both. Our eInk readers aren't going anywhere, afaik.
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote