Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 09-24-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
Lester Burnham
Enthusiast
Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 902, Nook Tablet
Thumbs up Comic book / PB902 side by side comparison

Before I got the PB902 I looked everywhere for a good representation of how well comics would transfer to the ereader. Some people say that no ereader works well enough for it and some folks say it's great, some say it's all right enough etc...

Well I took a scan of a comic I have and used Calibre to convert it to PDF and put it on the 902 for a side by side comparison. My hope is that it helps those who are thinking about getting the 902 but aren't quite sure about the comic capabilities.

Keep in mind 3 things. I've had the 902 for less than 24 hours so far, I've used Calibre a total of 4 times and these pictures don't do it full justice.

Is it better than an actually comic book? No. But it's definitely not bad. Not bad at all.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5518.JPG
Views:	487
Size:	567.7 KB
ID:	77092   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5520.JPG
Views:	501
Size:	556.7 KB
ID:	77093   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5521.JPG
Views:	437
Size:	558.9 KB
ID:	77094   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5524.JPG
Views:	405
Size:	567.4 KB
ID:	77095   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5525.JPG
Views:	405
Size:	576.1 KB
ID:	77096  

Last edited by Lester Burnham; 09-28-2011 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Imageshack is terrible
Lester Burnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW (Books) & iPad 3 (Comics)
Looks pretty good.

I wanna scan Absolute Sandman but it cost a small fortune and I don't wanna hurt it
replica145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2011, 06:37 AM   #3
Hekse-Mie
Boekenwurm
Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 623, 903 & 603, 360+, Sony 600, Irex Iliad
I agree, it seems not bad at all
Hekse-Mie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:02 AM   #4
jpsoulac33
jpsoulac33 began at the beginning.

Device: pocket book pro 902
Hello, it seems very good... but what is your configuration of calibre when you want to transfer the comics on a pdf???
jpsoulac33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
Lester Burnham
Enthusiast
Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsoulac33 View Post
Hello, it seems very good... but what is your configuration of calibre when you want to transfer the comics on a pdf???
From what I can see there aren't really many options to tweak when converting pictures to PDF format. There are options but I think they apply more to how actual text is displayed, which has nothing to do with text on a picture. So, the only thing I actually select is the Kindle DX output profile in the Page Setup tab. If I'm going about it all wrong, please show me a better way. I'm still very new to this program and ereaders in general.

Last edited by Lester Burnham; 09-25-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Advert
Old 09-25-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
jpsoulac33
jpsoulac33 began at the beginning.

Device: pocket book pro 902
I do the same than you (Lester Burnham) but i find the text is not very readable (it depends ). The best way for me is to dezip the cbr and zip files into a folder (the comics is on jpeg). After i create a folder in my pocketbook where i put any comics (one folder for one comics and subfolder for every episode). With the finder i come to my comic's folder and i can see each page and it looks very good (better than the kindle dx's pdf). Problem: when you finish to read and you quit the jpeg comics you can't return on the good page...
jpsoulac33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsoulac33 View Post
I do the same than you (Lester Burnham) but i find the text is not very readable (it depends ). The best way for me is to dezip the cbr and zip files into a folder (the comics is on jpeg). After i create a folder in my pocketbook where i put any comics (one folder for one comics and subfolder for every episode). With the finder i come to my comic's folder and i can see each page and it looks very good (better than the kindle dx's pdf). Problem: when you finish to read and you quit the jpeg comics you can't return on the good page...
Yes, and this is exactly why I wrote my own script to create a PDF. You get the full image resolution and you get to treat it as a book (i.e. remember the last page read, add bookmarks,...). However, I just noticed that Calibre has a "Tablet" option in the "Page Layout" menu, and the tool-tip indicates that it won't resize the images in that mode. So, "Tablet" sounds better than the "Kindle DX" page layout for use with the 9.7in devices.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #8
Lester Burnham
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Yes, and this is exactly why I wrote my own script to create a PDF. You get the full image resolution and you get to treat it as a book (i.e. remember the last page read, add bookmarks,...). However, I just noticed that Calibre has a "Tablet" option in the "Page Layout" menu, and the tool-tip indicates that it won't resize the images in that mode. So, "Tablet" sounds better than the "Kindle DX" page layout for use with the 9.7in devices.
The DX and the 902/903 have the same screen.

I just tried the "Tablet" setting and it's not too bad. It made the file a little larger of course. It made the pages too narrow and long to be able to read a full page at a time also. So, zoom and scroll is a must. I'm not a big fan of that though. I like to read one full page at a time. Seems more natural, comic book like to me. To each their own. I haven't run into any text issues yet so maybe I'll have to adapt and get used to the zoom and scroll method when I do. Comics do look pretty nice when in landscape mode though.

"CBR" - 11MB
"DX" output format - 19MB
"Tablet" output format - 30MB

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix
Old 09-25-2011, 08:41 PM   #9
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester Burnham View Post
The DX and the 902/903 have the same screen.

I just tried the "Tablet" setting and it's not too bad. It made the file a little larger of course. It made the pages too narrow and long to be able to read a full page at a time also. So, zoom and scroll is a must. I'm not a big fan of that though. I like to read one full page at a time. Seems more natural, comic book like to me. To each their own. I haven't run into any text issues yet so maybe I'll have to adapt and get used to the zoom and scroll method when I do. Comics do look pretty nice when in landscape mode though.

"CBR" - 11MB
"DX" output format - 19MB
"Tablet" output format - 30MB

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix
If the pages are too long and narrow in Tablet (un-resized) mode, then the DX mode must be changing the aspect ratio of the images (i.e. making them wider). If you didn't notice, then I guess it wasn't enough distortion to make things look weird to you. The size differences are also interesting. It's normal that "Tablet" is bigger than "DX", but it's strange that "DX" is bigger than the original size. I guess Calibre is using non-lossy compression, just to be safe. However, it would be nice if it just used the same data as in the original if possible.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #10
Lester Burnham
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
If the pages are too long and narrow in Tablet (un-resized) mode, then the DX mode must be changing the aspect ratio of the images (i.e. making them wider). If you didn't notice, then I guess it wasn't enough distortion to make things look weird to you.
Right you are. It is changing the aspect ratio. I honestly hadn't noticed. If you check out the text boxes in the pictures. You can see the difference easily.

I've read a number of comics already and to my eye nothing has seemed wonky. Hopefully I'll continue to not notice the aspect change. lol

Last edited by Lester Burnham; 09-28-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:28 PM   #11
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester Burnham View Post
Right you are. It is changing the aspect ratio. I honestly hadn't noticed. If you check out the text boxes in this picture. You can see the difference easily.
They look pretty close to me, so I wouldn't have noticed. Anyway, I have a decent scanner for books, but the scale is slightly different in the vertical and horizontal directions. The scanned pages always come out looking less wide than they should. Maybe this is true for most scanners. If Calibre just happened to change the aspect ratio and make the pages look slightly wider, they could end up looking more like the original book than the unresized scans. So, maybe your process balanced out nicely in the end.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #12
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Lester, thanks a lot for showing those pictures here, they do look nat bad at all at PB902!
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:13 PM   #13
Lester Burnham
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
Lester, thanks a lot for showing those pictures here, they do look nat bad at all at PB902!

Just trying to help those wanting to read comics on an ereader. I'll post more comparisons if I find anything worth noting. So far the PB902 has handled everything I've thrown at it with flying colors....er.. flying b&w.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:15 PM   #14
Lester Burnham
Enthusiast

One more side by side for good measure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5527.JPG
Views:	364
Size:	527.0 KB
ID:	77086   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5533.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	586.6 KB
ID:	77087   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5537.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	550.1 KB
ID:	77088   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5541.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	514.7 KB
ID:	77089   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5544.JPG
Views:	330
Size:	566.7 KB
ID:	77090  
Old 09-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #15
rkomar
Wizard

So, do the comics have the same feel to you as you read them, or does the colour to grey scale switch give them a different flavour?

Tags
comics, pocketbook pro 902