Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
CuriousGrrl
Kindle lover/Linux user
CuriousGrrl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Keeping Calibre customizations in sync across multiple copies

I am using Calibre at home and at work, on Ubuntu Linux, Windows XP, and Windows 7 (all are using 0.7.43). I keep my ebook library on Dropbox so I always have access to it. I just discovered how to to add some neat custom columns and I want to make sure that data will be available to all my copies of Calibre.

What is the best way to make sure that any Calibre customizations (including plugins, plugin customizations, custom columns, saved searches, etc) can be somewhat kept in sync amongst my various copies of Calibre? Is it even possible?

If not, will I be doing any harm to my metadata.db by making updates in my home copy of Calibre when I only have custom columns in my work copy of Calibre (primarily I use the Linux version at home and work). I don't want to lose any custom column data when the Dropbox metadata.db gets updated by a non-custom-column-having copy of Calibre, for example.

Also, am I doing any harm in sharing the metadata.db between Linux and Windows? The only problem I read about was issues with filename naming conventions (Linux respecting upper/lowercase and Windoze ignoring it), but I was hoping keeping the files on Dropbox would eliminate differences between OS filesystems.
CuriousGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
custom columns and saved searches are stored in metadata.db, so you wont have any issues with them.

Plugins have to be installed/customized per calibre install
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
calibre sanitizes file names and writes them in a consistant manner so you don't have to worry.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If the Calibre config folder was also in DropBox would this mean that plugins etc are also kept in sync?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
If the Calibre config folder was also in DropBox would this mean that plugins etc are also kept in sync?
Theoretically, yes, but the config folder is not designed to be OS neutral. For example, the current library path will change, previously used directories in the open dialogs will change and so on.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
CuriousGrrl
Kindle lover/Linux user
CuriousGrrl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
The stuff I care about most (custom metadata/columns) seems to be handled. I can easily live with plugin installs on my various copies of Calibre.

Thanks everyone
CuriousGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I have dropboxed a couple of files/folders in my calibre config directory that don't have local pathway settings, including the plugins folder, tweaks.py, gui.json, and device_drivers_KINDLE2.py.

This requires dropboxing the SYMLINK to those files/folders, which then pushes any config updates to the main file in the config directory, and will almost definitely not work on Windows XP.

It works for me, between two linux systems at least.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dropbox, linux, multiple calibre