Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
KKneko7
KKneko7 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Saving after adding books

Every time I add something, another copy of that file is saved into the library. I already have the file on my computer, I don't need another. And since I have a lot of ebooks, I don't need to waste space with duplicate files.

Can I somehow disable the save to disk function? Thanks!
KKneko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKneko7 View Post
Can I somehow disable the save to disk function? Thanks!
No, every time you add a book to calibre it grabs it and places the book into its database structure. This is something you have no control of. If you don't want duplicates save the originals off to DVD then delete them from your drive.

BTW, the Save to Disk feature is separate from what you're seeing. The Save to disk feature allows you to export books from calibre in whatever file naming format you wish.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Read the FAQ:
http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual/faq.html#id31

This comes up over and over in the forums. No you can't "disable" it, it is integral to the way Calibre works. Yes Calibre copies your books into it's own folder structure for the reasons outlined in the FAQ - disk space is cheap, live with it. If you don't want two copies, then trust Calibre to look after it's copy and manually delete yourself the copy you imported from. That's certainly what I and I imagine many if not most other Calibre users do. Then just backup your Calibre folder, so both the books and the database are safely stored away.

EDIT: Sorry dwanthy, we posted at the same time. Should have known you would handle it
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:27 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
EDIT: Sorry dwanthy, we posted at the same time. Should have known you would handle it
The more the merrier.

I neglected the link to the FAQ. Pointing folks to the documentation every chance we get is a good thing.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-17-2011 at 10:07 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:55 PM   #5
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Read the post my .sig links to; I explained a bit about how calibre works. The short version is that you shouldn't bother about calibre's internal database; just pretend it says "no user serviceable parts inside" and ignore it (including ignoring the fact that it is, at the moment, a set of flies rather than an actual black-box database). And don't worry about the drive space! I just had to buy a new HD for one of my machines, and a 1 TB drive, cash and carry (I was in a hurry, didn't want to wait a couple of days for shipping) cost me $80. The space for my many thousands of ebooks cost less than a cup of coffee. Just let calibre do its thing, and don't sweat the small stuff.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert