Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-15-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
netgirl
netgirl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Multiple libraries?

First, thank you for this excellent software! I've already donated.

Next, I have a question about book management. I would like to have multiple libraries defined in Calibre - one that contains everything and one to contain only those books I want to have on my reader at any given time. Is there such a feature? I've checked the FAQs, user guide, etc. and haven't found anything yet.

Thanks!
jeanette-
netgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
A similar question has cropped up a number of times on the forum. You may want to search for the threads to see what the various responses are.

As for multiple libraries... yes, you can have them and start them with command line switches, but it's not optimal. You'll have to import a new book to each library and then manage them, i.e. add/delete from each library separately.

The consensus seems to be to use tags to do what you want. You can have any tags you want. Have multiple devices? Use a tag for each one. I use a tag "Read" for the books I've already read. You can then search on tags to find those you have or haven't read by including/excluding what you want. If you have other users, such as a spouse, sibling, or child, you can have tags for each of them and then search on those tags. Tags could be "name1", "name2", "childsname", "name1-read", "name1-unread", "name1-sony", "name1-iliad", etc. Tags can then be added/removed/modified at will.

Hope this gives you some ideas
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:01 PM   #3
sbin
Voracious reader
sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS T2, iPhone 6, Cybook Orizon, Cybook Gen3
I've been browsing this forum for some hours now, and I haven't found a viable solution yet

I'd like to have two separate libraries, because I'd like to keep books in english apart from books in other languages. The tag-thing simply doesn't accomplish this.
sbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you want two separate libraries, then you can use the
--with-library path_to_library_folder
command line parameter to specify the library to be used when launching an instance of Calibre.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:05 PM   #5
sbin
Voracious reader
sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.

Thank you, I'm going to try this and see if I can manage

Mmm... okay, I'm inept. Could you please post a list of every step I should take?
Thank you very much :P

Last edited by sbin; 10-10-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:31 PM   #6
Landrovan
Enthusiast
Landrovan began at the beginning.

Device: dr800sg
You probably already have a Calibre shurtcut (on the desktop or in the menu).
Copy this shortcut so you have two of them. Go in the properties, you will see the shortcut point to the calibre executable. At the end of the calibre executable add:
On the first shortcut:
--with-library C:\Ebook-english
On the second:
--with-library C:\Ebook-french
P.S. Change the path to your 2 folder.

Rename the 2 shortcut in function of the path you put.
This should do it!
Landrovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Your drive letters will almost certainly vary, but here goes. It's easiest if you put Calbre and its libraries at the top of the drive's directory tree, so you don't have to type such a long string in the command line. In my case, they are both directly on D:/. IMHO, it's also easiest if there are no spaces in the library name, so mine are library and reflibrary. To switch from library to reflibrary, I do the following:

Close Calibre from the system tray

Open the command window - in Windows click Start, Run, and type cmd. Alternatively, push the Windows button and R at the same time to get the Run window.

This will put you at a DOS looking prompt, but don't panic.

In my case, I type the following (push the Enter key at the end of each line):

d:
cd calibre
calibre --with-library d:\reflibrary

To change back to my main library, I do the same thing but substitute library for reflibrary. A key point is that you must be completely exit Calibre to change libraries.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Note that you should also be able to switch libraries from within calibre using the Preferences.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:27 AM   #9
sbin
Voracious reader

Thanks to all of you.

The changes to the shortcuts I made yesterday didn't work just because I wrote them wrong. Silly me

Today I upgraded calibre to the last version (from 0.6.16 to 0.6.17) and the new shortcuts (with the changes) don't work anymore.

Until today, the path has been like this:
C:\Programs\Calibre\calibre.exe --with-library X:\[calibre IT] or [calibre EN]
today it's:
C:\Programs\Calibre - E-book Management\calibre.exe --with-library X:\[calibre IT]
but Windows says that "C:\Programs\Calibre is not a valid path". Is this just a problem with the spaces in the new installation folder?

By the way: switching libraries from the preferences is a neat solution :P

Last edited by sbin; 10-11-2009 at 06:30 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:02 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbin View Post
Until today, the path has been like this:
C:\Programs\Calibre\calibre.exe --with-library X:\[calibre IT] or [calibre EN]
today it's:
C:\Programs\Calibre - E-book Management\calibre.exe --with-library X:\[calibre IT]
but Windows says that "C:\Programs\Calibre is not a valid path".
Yesterday the correct path was C:\Programs\Calibre\calibre.exe

today the correct path is C:\Programs\Calibre - E-book Management\calibre.exe

This means "C:\Programs\Calibre is not a valid path" is a correct statement and it is no longer a valid path to calibre.

Since the path changed you have to change the shortcuts to match the new path.

Good Luck
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:43 AM   #11
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Alternatively you can remove/reinstall Calibre and this time use the "Advanced" option instead of "Install" and specify the lcoation for installing Calibre and make it the same as it used to be.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:31 PM   #12
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbin View Post
I've been browsing this forum for some hours now, and I haven't found a viable solution yet

I'd like to have two separate libraries, because I'd like to keep books in english apart from books in other languages. The tag-thing simply doesn't accomplish this.
How so? You tag books in English with the English tag and other languages with their own language tag (Japanes, French, Russian, etc.) or Foreign, if you just want the two distinctions.

Yes, you can have multiple libraries, but that just makes management more of a headache, IMHO.

Also, if you want one library with books on your reader and one library with everything else, you have to move those books from one library to another. That's a hassle isn't it? Isn't it easier to simply have tags like Read, Unread, OnReader, etc. When you delete the books from the read you can just change the tags rather than move books from one library to another.

Just my $0.02 as everyone has their own favorite way of doing things
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:11 AM   #13
sbin
Voracious reader

For me, it's more of a hassle to browse through dozens and dozens of tags than to have two (and only two) separate libraries
I have also quite a bad memory, so I can't guarantee to be able to actually remember the tags I should eventually use
Old 11-03-2009, 08:30 AM   #14
sbin
Voracious reader

Here I am. Again.

I just installed calibre 0.6.20 and I noticed that changing the library path from the preferences panel works just the first time I do it.
If I want to switch back to the previous path, Calibre just ignores me and I have to shut down and restart the program. Then it works again, just one time.

Has it always been so and I notice just now? Or can it be something to do with my PC?

Sorry to always asking silly questions, I'm just that awkward
Old 11-03-2009, 10:13 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sounds like a bug, opena ticket and I'll look at it once I've recovered.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote