Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
tereza18gr
tereza18gr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tereza18gr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tereza18gr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tereza18gr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tereza18gr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tereza18gr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tereza18gr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tereza18gr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tereza18gr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tereza18gr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tereza18gr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nonne
Is RIM planning to bet on a larger Playbook?

Research in Motion, or simply RIM, is still struggling to get back up after being thrown away by the era. The company that created the BlackBerry, previously known as the smartest phone out there, was outsmarted by Apple’s iPhone. It later on suffered damages from Android’s rise to fame, and now, RIM is down to 7% market share in the 2nd quarter of this year. This number has dwindled even further since 2011.

It almost expected that RIM’s BlackBerry line will disappear into obscurity. Even the loyal fans have given up, as they are moving on to the more feature packed smartphones of today. In fact, the only reason RIM and their BlackBerry line is even included in any analysis is just so that it can be compared to what was previously great. In the end, it makes the BlackBerry seem even less attractive as people encounter the numbers.

The main problem of the BlackBerry was its entire OS. While it is still the most secure around, it is completely outdated. The Blackberry OS has been stagnant for so many years, that they did not know what to do when Apple launched the iOS.

In an effort to get into the growing tablet space that was introduced by the iPad, Blackberry launched the Playbook. It was a cheaper tablet that runs on a Playbook OS. It was a play at making an OS, then using a different OS’s ecosystem to sustain itself. The Playbook ability to run Android Apps was just too obvious a hint that they really have no idea what to do to make an OS worthy of the era.

Now, it is reported that they will try yet again to hit the tablet market, and this time, with a larger Playbook. While the 7-inch version remains stagnant, RIM decides to enter the tablet market again with 10-inches and a completely different screen aspect ratio. It can be speculated that it will sport a different OS, possibly the long delayed BBX, or BlackBerry OS 10.

According to the reports of the leak, the internals of the new Playbook look strikingly similar to the first one. One can’t help but wonder if the large screen size was all that was updated in terms of hardware. I certainly hope not if this ever sees the light of day. Just think about all the unsatisfied customers.

http://technewsgadget.net/2012/07/is...erry-playbook/

tereza18gr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
I think it's too little, too late for RIM. They had a good run and then slept on their laurels; the boat has sailed for RIM.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
BWinmill
Nameless Being

RIM's best chances are to return to obscurity and to focus on a single market. The biggest problems that they face today are a glut of bad press, which erodes the confidence of their customers. They also inability to serve a broad market because that requires a lot of support from independent developers. Even Android has trouble on this front in spite of Android selling more units than iOS.

The thing is, many businesses crave for the customer base that RIM currently has. That is true in terms of the number of customers and type of customers.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I love the hardware of the 7" Playbook. The software leaves a lot to be desired. RIM isn't going to be around much longer in my opinion.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
MidnightBlue
écureuil secret
MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Kindle Touch
A lot of government departments and military branches won't use anything but BlackBerry simply for the sake of security. My brother has one that is issued by the DOD and is not allowed to use anything else. Maybe that can keep RIM alive for long enough to recover. I still miss features on my old BlackBerry that my iPhone does not have. Selective profiles for one. I used to be able to put my BlackBerry on silent but allow only certain selected numbers to still sound. I could also make some numbers automatically go to voicemail or another nominated number. Very handy when you are being harassed by an ex. I could divert all calls from him back to his own number so that every time he rang me, day or night, he would get a busy signal.
MidnightBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
They are really fighting an uphill battle. I hope they'll succeed so we can have more competition.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:05 AM   #7
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by tereza18gr View Post
Research in Motion, or simply RIM, is still struggling to get back up after being thrown away by the era. The company that created the BlackBerry, previously known as the smartest phone out there, was outsmarted by Apple’s iPhone.
If by "outsmarted" you mean "out-marketed," sure.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
If by "outsmarted" you mean "out-marketed," sure.
Because that is all it was?
Come on, there is nothing better about the iPhone (or Android devices) than the BlackBerry? There is nothing that RIM failed to do to compete.
Even RIM can't believe that.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Nokia Motorola and RIM were never the same after iPhone and Androids hit the market.

Never saw what hit them.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:25 AM   #10
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
A lot of government departments and military branches won't use anything but BlackBerry simply for the sake of security. My brother has one that is issued by the DOD and is not allowed to use anything else. Maybe that can keep RIM alive for long enough to recover. I still miss features on my old BlackBerry that my iPhone does not have. Selective profiles for one. I used to be able to put my BlackBerry on silent but allow only certain selected numbers to still sound. I could also make some numbers automatically go to voicemail or another nominated number. Very handy when you are being harassed by an ex. I could divert all calls from him back to his own number so that every time he rang me, day or night, he would get a busy signal.
Security is a valid and at times paramount requirement.

At times I have used RIM devices, and a question came up the other day about the possibility that the new RIM tablet would have Windows 8 touch screen capability.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
Nokia Motorola and RIM were never the same after iPhone and Androids hit the market.

Never saw what hit them.
I think that they saw the Apple phone coming, but never thought they'd make quite the impact that it did.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:57 AM   #12
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I think that they saw the Apple phone coming, but never thought they'd make quite the impact that it did.
Then they deserve what they got. Underestimating competition kills you.

Quote:
"We missed not boldly reacting to the threat of iPhone when we saw it in January over four years ago," the letter read. "We laughed and said they are trying to put a computer on a phone, that it won't work. We should have made the QNX-like transition then. We are now 3-4 years too late. That is the painful truth… it was a major strategic oversight and we know who is responsible."
http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/21/27...on-link-title5
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blackberry, playbook, rim