Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How to make a font darker (semibold)

What is the best way to take a font and make it darker (kind of like semibold)?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The most common way is to buy/download a font that has the weight you want and load it onto your device. You will still want normal, italics, bold and bold italics. The difference is that you will use a font in which the base (that would be normal) is darker than usual.

For example, I recently needed to use a font called museo-sans in a project. I had a huge number of choices for the font http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/exljbris/museo-sans/. Chief among the differences was the weight or darkness of the base font and all of the variants that build from there.

A great many of the fonts that we get for free on our computers have other "versions" that may be darker. You have to look for them though.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I will see if I can find a semibold font I like. But in the meanwhile, I'm looking how to modify a font family I do like.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-03-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
John, search on the name of the font you like and see if it comes in a different weight.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
There are plenty of font editors that let you modify existing truetype fonts and generate new ones from them.
I haven't played with fonts since the Win95 era but I remember one app that let you convert a regular font to slanted, outline, and several levels of boldness with just a click.
(Don't even remember the name, much less where I stashed the Floppies.)

You might want to try a web search...

Edit: Something like this MAC application:
http://glyphsapp.com/

Last edited by fjtorres; 05-03-2012 at 08:47 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:58 PM   #6
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
With a font editor, it's pretty easy to create a bolder font. You can tweak it to get the exact boldness you want. This is probably easier than trying to hunt down a font with the right weight.

On Windows, you can try FontCreator or Fontlab. They're pretty expensive, but have free trials that may do the job.

Try searching for free font editor.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Or if you like the Georgia font, there's the GeorgiaEInk range which comes in 5 different weights (05/10/15/20/25) and has all 4 files (reg, it, bold, boldit) for each weight.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Or if you like the Georgia font, there's the GeorgiaEInk range which comes in 5 different weights (05/10/15/20/25) and has all 4 files (reg, it, bold, boldit) for each weight.
Hey! Thanks for the tip.
I'm a big fan of the "classic" Georgia family.
Didn't know about the eink variants.
Now I do.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #9
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
I'll take a look at that GeorgiaEink... the different weights are useful.

Currently I use Fontin (free at http://www.exljbris.com/fontin.html ). I chose it due to its heavier lines - produces better contrast on my Sony 350 than the 'usual' serif fonts.

Coops

Last edited by Coops; 05-06-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #10
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
where does one find Georgia Eink font?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Message deleted because Georgia eInk is defective.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-01-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:55 AM   #12
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Oh gawd......that's just what I need. Another flamin' font.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Oh gawd......that's just what I need. Another flamin' font.
http://www.fontspace.com/category/flames
Old 05-18-2012, 06:49 AM   #14
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
HEh heh! Luv ya' Jon.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote