Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-16-2011, 05:23 AM   #1
ilovepurple2234
ilovepurple2234 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for Mac/ Adobe Digital Editions
Opening .mobi files not from Amazon on iPad

So I'm thinking of buying an iPad. I currently don't own any iOS devices, but I have an Android Phone. Kindle for Android does not allow me to open .mobi files that are not from Amazon.com. Does the Kindle for iPad allow you to open those?
Are there any other software that does allow you to open mobi files?
ilovepurple2234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:49 AM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepurple2234 View Post
So I'm thinking of buying an iPad. I currently don't own any iOS devices, but I have an Android Phone. Kindle for Android does not allow me to open .mobi files that are not from Amazon.com. Does the Kindle for iPad allow you to open those?
Take a look at a package called Calibre. It might let you load mobi files on your android phone.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:32 AM   #3
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Kindle for iPad can open .mobi files if they have no DRM (or if they have Amazon's DRM). So the first thing you would need to do is remove the DRM on the files you have. Then you should be able to open them with the Kindle app, or you could also convert them to ePub using Calibre, to read them with iBooks or BlueFire Reader for example.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:00 AM   #4
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Quote:
Here's a comparison of e-reader software for iOS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...eader_software

(If the articles helps you, please consider helping with keeping it up-to-date or spread the word it exists, thanks!)
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
eBookMobi and Stanza will both read .mobi files. Stanza, sadly, is going away. The version out now is that last version they're going to release.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Hmmm, I honestly thought that as long as there is no DRM on the book and is MOBI, you can open it via Kindle for Android. I have not tried thought. I usually don't use my cellphone for reading and have not tried on my Fire yet.

But I confirm I have several DRM free books that I can read on my Kindle for iOs (MOBI format) using my iPad2

I can also read free DRM ePub books or same MOBI books after conversion, on the iBook app.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:54 AM   #7
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
I have read normal mobi files on both an Android and iPad tablets with the Kindle reader software. You just need to sideload them into the application which is easy to do, drag and drop on the Android and drag and drop into the application on iTunes.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:57 AM   #8
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I think the Kindle app is rather good, in fact it's the only one I use to read e-books on the iPad. And I doubt very much that it has been banned by Apple.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:30 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneijder View Post
seems that the Kindle app for IOS has been banned by Apple. and honest speaking, i thought this app sucks on IOS..
It most certainly has NOT been banned by Apple; what makes you say that? Personally I think the Kindle App works very well, especially on the iPad.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:18 AM   #10
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
So much confusion. Just to emphasize:

1. Kindle for iOS has NOT been banned.
2. Sideloading of non-DRM non-Amazon .mobi, .prc, etc. files to both Kindle for Android and Kindle for iOS is enabled and easy.

Last edited by osnova; 12-27-2011 at 07:21 AM.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #11
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
I have Kindle on my iPad and that is the only ebook app that I am using on it and it works very well so long as it's in mobi format and is DRM free. I actually convert all my English language epub books to mobi to read in Kindle. iBook is cool, but I normally hit 2 or 3 words that I need to look up in the dictionary, in Kindle, once the word is highlighted (selected) in Kindle, the app does an auto-lookup and pops up the explanation of the word on the same page. In iBooks, you will have to highlight the word, then select "dictionary" on the popup menu, only then the word explanation will show - that's one more extra step compared to Kindle, and for a book of 100 pages with 200+ words that I will need to look, Kindle saves me a lot of time.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote