Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-26-2010, 02:48 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Multiple E-book owners

I've noticed that quite a few members here owns several E-book readers. In a forum dedicated to E-book reading that is hardly a surprise, but is there any reason outside "nerdy tech curiosity" to own several readers?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:55 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I use two of my readers regularly. Each has its own strength and weaknesses. I like reading in bed, for instance, so a backlit device is handy at those times (JE100), but I also like to read in bright daylight, so I wanted an e-ink device (BBMini) for those times. The Loox is my old PDA, which I don't use that often anymore, not since I bought my Mini. My latest is mostly "nerdy tech curiosity"
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 02:59 AM   #3
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... is there any reason outside "nerdy tech curiosity" to own several readers?

You've been here a while, and have witnessed the "Model x versus Model Y" message threads. Some like simplicity ... some like tons of connectivity ... some like something inbetween ... It's almost like a forum on "religion" or "politics" - our personal behaviour patterns come through, and we tout one model over another.

And then get miffed when we cannot "sway" others to see what WE see ... (grin)

And so it goes ....

Clint Bradford
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:02 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I own three pairs of shoes (one casual, one work, and one "formal") and see absolutely no reason that anyone would need to own more, but I accept that there are strange people out there who feel it essential to own 50 pairs of shoes .

I like gadgets, just as other people like shoes. Yes, I could kid myself that each one is better at some things than others, but the simple fact of the matter is that I just like playing with new gadgets.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:07 AM   #5
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I like gadgets, just as other people like shoes. Yes, I could kid myself that each one is better at some things than others, but the simple fact of the matter is that I just like playing with new gadgets.
Guilty as charged

I used my Sony PRS-300 at home and my PDA when on holidays. But realised that the back lit LCD of the PDA was contributing to my eyestrain. So when the Kobo became available in Australia, I grabbed one to replace the PDA.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 04:42 AM   #6
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Can you sync your reading over devices? In my mind it seems like a hassle reading a book on several platforms at once, unless they have some wi-fi bluetooth synchronizing capability.

And, ohh yeah, I completely get the gadget stimuli. The first thing I do when arriving in Tokyo is to take the Yamanote two stations down the line. Nothing like Akihabara to stimulate your techy bone.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:12 AM   #7
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch, Pre-electronic devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I own three pairs of shoes (one casual, one work, and one "formal") and see absolutely no reason that anyone would need to own more, but I accept that there are strange people out there who feel it essential to own 50 pairs of shoes ..
I assume then, Harry, that you are not married.
stargazertony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:14 AM   #8
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
One liseuse is what I own, and one liseuse is all I need!
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:07 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Can you sync your reading over devices? In my mind it seems like a hassle reading a book on several platforms at once, unless they have some wi-fi bluetooth synchronizing capability.
No, I wouldn't read the same book simultaneously on multiple devices for that reason. Some devices can synchronise - eg the iBooks App on the iPhone and iPad, and (I believe) Amazon books between the Kindle and any other device supporting the Kindle App.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:09 AM   #10
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
It depends. I have a Kindle which is my main reader, and an iPad which I sometimes read on but which I bought for primary purposes other than reading. I also have an iPod Touch which is capable of reading, but I never read on it and use it for other purposes (in fact, if I did not have a need to display things to my students and hence needed a screen they could see, the iPod Touch would have met my needs for school use to play MP3s). I also have a Libre which was an impulse buy because I wanted folders and I had the idea to pass the Libre on to my father. The Kindle has collections now so it has become redundant, and my stepmother did not listen to my advice and bought my dad a Kobo So it is the redundant one and I need to get rid of it some day.

But really for me, it is 'Kindle, my proper reader' mostly. I don't really the i-stuff because I bought those primarily for other purposes.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:12 AM   #11
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
I have a Kindle and a Nook. The Kindle is still my favorite, but I bought the Nook because it allows me to read library books on it.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:15 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I generally read a different book on each device. But on my BBMini and ProMedia, I read the same (home-generated) PDF files, so syncing is easy. And when I just can't put a book away, and I need to switch readers, I try to read until the start of chapter. Picking up another reader is easy then.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:51 AM   #13
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I generally read a different book on each device.

That's what I do on my iPad. I have different books going on my iBooks, Kobo, Kindle, Goodreader (PDF), and Stanza apps

So far that's all I need, but if I need more options I'll download the B&N and Borders apps
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:02 AM   #14
ClairePMR
Groupie
ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Color, Kindle, EB1150, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Surface Pro 2017
I have an EB1150 and a Nook. I also have a Palm Centro that I use in a pinch. I've had the 1150 for several years (at least 8), and use it mostly to read classics, original fiction and fanfiction. My e-library has easily 2500+ books, and if I checked all my archives, it's probably more than double that. Truthfully, I don't think I've purchased more than a dozen books since I've owned the thing as there is so much free content available. I still intend to use it for night-time reading. I'm a night owl and the backlight is very important to me!

I got the Nook as a gift, but I really did want it and probably would have bought one for myself if I hadn't acquired it that way! It's very new, and I haven't yet discovered its whole potential, but I am already very appreciative of the epub file format. I foresee that the ability to download library books and the even broader selection of free epub items over imp format to be a great advantage. I also have a couple of family members who have Nooks and the Lend Me feature is likely to get used often.

I use the Palm Centro only rarely, but it's an adequate backup if I don't have the other devices with me for some odd reason - a rarity to be sure!

Lastly, I do read both online and offline with my laptop, but that's my last choice. Tough to curl up with, and crappy battery life!
ClairePMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:12 AM   #15
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I'm another. I started reading eBooks on my iPhone during a Disney trip. We were waiting in line for something and I started browsing the app store as a time killer and saw that Amazon had just released a Kindle App and decided to give it a try. I was hooked. I read on the boats, I read on the monorail, I read waiting in line. A couple of times I told the kid, you go knock around EPCOT for awhile and I'm just going to sit on this nice bench and read. A dream vacation for me. I didn't mind the small backlit screen so much as I did the battery drain.

We got home from the trip and I said to my husband "hey you know that Kindle thingy that I told you I thought was a stupid idea? Guess what? I want one!"

So then I had the iPhone and the Kindle.

Then I discovered Overdrive Library books ..... and got kind of tired of the Python runarounds I had to go through to get them onto my Kindle. At about the time a refurbished Sony Pocket hit Woot and I said "Well it will practically pay for itself in free library books and besides, one of the kids can use it!"

Son then I had the iPhone, Kindle, and Sony.

Then DH decided "Hey, I'm getting kind of tired lugging two briefcases of documents around. Could that Kindle thing handle some of my work papers?"

and I said "OH, it doesn't display PDF files well. What we need is an iPAD!"

and then
iPhone, Kindle, Sony, and iPAD

and now I'm thinking that DX might be nice to read in bed at night when my eyes are tired and I want really big fonts. Because when I put really big fonts on my 6" kindle I have to push the next page button about every 5 seconds......a DX would display more lines of text.....

justification justification justification yeah.

I don't sync across devices but I will do whatever it takes to circumvent the locks that try to prevent me from putting a book I've bought onto a device I own. In fact, every book I buy gets unlocked immediately and backed up to my own storage solutions where it can then be distributed to whatever family device I choose.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote