Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 09:32 PM   #16
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I live in NYC. I don't know if Borders sells any color other than silver, and the price fluctuates there.

Right now, B&H Photo, on 9th Ave. and 34th, has the Sony 300 in all colors for $154. (or a dollar more, I'm not sure). They also sell the Cybook Opus in white.

J&R is also a good store that sells Sony and Cybook readers. Their main store is downtown on Park Row near the Fulton St. subway stop (also near City Hall and Broadway). They also have a smaller store in the Cellar at Macy's on 6th/34th St. Both of their stores sell e-readers.

You can look at B&H, J&R and Borders websites online.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #17
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
Back to the original post: darker case does give very marginal and most probably purely illusionary "better" reading experience, but it also distract some people while reading. Many people suggested choosing certain case color or playing font settings to "improve" screen contrast, having tried myself, I can honestly say, the improvement (if any) is very very marginal and illusionary.
I think this is a very good summary. I got a blue case because of the optical illusion effect, but can't really detect any difference in screen whiteness compared to the silver case.

To get an idea of a somewhat related optical illusion, click on "illusion 1" at the bottom of this page,* and do as instructed: drag the gray swatch over squares A and B.

*The link provided is now misbehaving for me on Firefox, taking me to the main page, in which case you have to scroll down and select "Colour perception 2", the one with the green cylinder on the gray & white checkerboard.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #18
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
I reccomend going to B&H just to see it. That store is amazing.

Prices are great, too.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:00 AM   #19
Mel_Putra
Enthusiast
Mel_Putra is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-300
I will be there from Aug 6th for 6 weeks! Will definitely go to a store that has all colors to compare. Personally I like silver but just from seeing the pics in the websites. Won't be buying straight away anyway since I need to find out whether I can buy ebooks using overseas credit card first. No use buying the reader if I can't get the ebooks! So far none of the Malaysian bookstores selling ebooks.. So sad :-(
Mel_Putra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:47 AM   #20
tofubean
Connoisseur
tofubean is on a distinguished road

Device: K3, iPad, PW
I don't even notice the color of my reader (it's red!) when i'm actually reading the words. So frankly, i think it's not very important. Just pick a color you like.
tofubean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert