Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-29-2009, 11:16 PM   #1
bedachtm
bedachtm began at the beginning.

Device: none
Calibre for Ubuntu (Jaunty)

Hi;
I tested Calibre on Windows and I liked it so much I upgraded my Ubuntu PCs to Jaunty to install the version from the 'Official' repository.

Installation went fine and I copied over my library from the Windows installation. Everything seemed fine until I clicked on the View button. Nothing happens - just a couple of seconds of wait then nothing. Reader does not open. I unchecked all of the viewer options and can get PDF format open with an external reader but nothing for the FB2 or EPUB formats.

Looking at the system log I found the following message:

calibre-paralle[4719]: segfault at 740064 ip b4d906c7 sp bfb350ac error 4 in libQtWebKit.so.4.5.0[b484e000+ddc000]

Any thoughts or pointers - did I screw up the installation?
bedachtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:09 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the calibre viewer in the ubuntu installation is incompatible with qt 4.5, try commenting out the line

Code:
#self.view.setProperty("url", QtCore.QVariant(QtCore.QUrl("about:blank")))
in calibre/gui2/viewer/main_ui.py
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2009, 12:33 AM   #3
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
the calibre viewer in the ubuntu installation is incompatible with qt 4.5, try commenting out the line

Code:
#self.view.setProperty("url", QtCore.QVariant(QtCore.QUrl("about:blank")))
in calibre/gui2/viewer/main_ui.py
I installed the version from the Calibre site on my JJ and everything works just dandy.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:40 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the binary installer includes its own private copy of qt 4.4
Old 04-30-2009, 10:08 AM   #5
bedachtm
bedachtm began at the beginning.

Device: none
Worked perfectly - Thank you.

The comments in the main_ui.py script say that any changes will be lost. Will this occur on a reinstall?

Thanks again - and congratulations for a great product.
bedachtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yeah, you will have to redo the change on a re-install
Old 05-02-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
The version in Jaunty that I got after the installation was 0.4.129, which is ancient, considering calibre's rapid development (thanks, Kovid).

The binary install directly from the web site still looks the best choice for up-to-date calibre.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:23 PM   #8
Calibrero
Connoisseur
Calibrero doesn't litterCalibrero doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 302
Add repository

Just add the repository

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/fabricesp/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main

as described here

https://launchpad.net/~fabricesp/+archive/ppa

The version in there is 0.5.9 while Kovid has released 0.5.10 (enough up to date for you ?)
Calibrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #9
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibrero View Post
enough up to date for you ?
Yes, that's way better. Thanks for the repository pointer.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:03 AM   #10
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You guys just too lazy for the binary download?

Seriously, that's the best choice overall.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:41 AM   #11
Ankh
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
You guys just too lazy for the binary download?
Well... yes. One could argue that laziness is not only an inherent part of human nature, but also the driving force of technology. There.

On a more serious note, I never close calibre (it mimizes itself), and Linux boxes go without reboots for long periods of time. Calibre's own notification function is hence circumvented.

The distribution of updates is the function best pushed to the distros. Except it is hard to keep up with Kovid.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #12
notsure
Zealot
notsure has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
Well... yes. One could argue that laziness is not only an inherent part of human nature, but also the driving force of technology. There.

On a more serious note, I never close calibre (it mimizes itself), and Linux boxes go without reboots for long periods of time. Calibre's own notification function is hence circumvented.

The distribution of updates is the function best pushed to the distros. Except it is hard to keep up with Kovid.
I do a shutdown / restart of calibre every day or so to make sure I always know I'm running the latest.

Perhaps we could bribe Kovid to put in new functionality to do a version check every so many days for the Linux users in the crowd. :-)
notsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:57 PM   #13
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsure View Post
I do a shutdown / restart of calibre every day or so to make sure I always know I'm running the latest.

Perhaps we could bribe Kovid to put in new functionality to do a version check every so many days for the Linux users in the crowd. :-)
That sounds like a really good idea.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #14
WayneD
Enthusiast
WayneD began at the beginning.

Device: Android phone + PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedachtm View Post
The comments in the main_ui.py script say that any changes will be lost.
I have instead edited the src/calibre/gui2/viewer/main.ui file that is used to generate the main_ui.py file. If you remove this bit:

Code:
          <property name="url" >
           <url>
            <string>about:blank</string>
           </url>
          </property>
That will cause the setUrl() line to be omitted on the next build, and will remain omitted even when updating the source.
WayneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:55 AM   #15
johnaaronrose
johnaaronrose began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Kovid,

Any progress on providing Calibre for Ubuntu Hardy 8.04.1? On attempted install, I got Illegal Instruction?
johnaaronrose is offline   Reply With Quote