Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-08-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
Frog29
Frog29 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Post How-To Customize the Reader Name and Theme

Warning! Do not do any of this if you don't feel comfortable flashing your Sony and potentially bricking it! Its not my fault if you do...

The Theme of the Sony PRS-505 can now be customized using igorsk's universal flasher 2.0 or JeffElkins PRSCustomizer
You can easily change the image where the name Reader is at the top of the screen on the 505, other parts of the theme are as of yet unmodified and untested.

Overview:

For both methods all you need to do is put your modified kBookAssets.png file in files.505.1.1.00.18040\opt\sony\ebook\application\ resources\scripts then flash using the same method as you did originally or as described in other threads here. (Note, you don't have to flash back to the original then flash again, And you don't have to reflash with your previous flash settings, only the modified kBookAssets)

The kBookAssets.png file is attached along with a simple template for your new name for the reader. All you have to do to modify the template is create a new image, 210x68* png file with a transparent background and saved as interlaced. You fill in the image with all black then modify in your new name. YOu then replace the top left corner of the kBookAssets.png file with this new image, merge the layers (don't flatten) and you are set. Just make sure the backgrounds stay transparent, the png file is interlaced, and its name exactly kBookAssets.png (case sensitive).
* I say 210x68 instead of 210*70

How To:

Its not as hard as it looks, most of it is moving about files or basic photoshop things, I just felt like being comprehensive (hopefully)

0. Make sure you have the most recent firmware update from Sony installed
1. Make sure your reader is fully charged
2. Get a (preferably empty) SD card (memory stick might work) and hook it up to a computer. (you can either directly plug it into a computer or plug it into the sony then plug the sony into a computer)
3. Download Igorsk's universal flasher 2 (or you can use JeffElkins PRSCustomizer if you wish)
4. Extract the files to a directory on your comptuer, not the SD card
5. Download the kBookAssets.png and Template.png from here to your computer
6. Modify Template.png to however you want it using photoshop or some other imaging program
7. Save Template.png as interlaced
8. Move Template.png to the top left corner of kBookAssets.png
9. Merge the layers (don't flatten them)
10. Save kBookAssets.png as an interlaced png
11. Put your newly modified kBookAssets.png file in files.505.1.1.00.18040\opt\sony\ebook\application\ resources\scripts (this will be in the directory you extracted the flasher to)
12. Copy over the flasher files to the root (top level) of the SD card
13. Take out the SD card from the Sony or your computer, unplug the sony, then put the SD card back in
14. The sony will autorun from the SD card bringing up Igorsk's Flasher
15. Press 5, and wait a while
16. Then press 6 when the menu comes back up, and wait
17. The Device with auto restart after a while
18. Unplug the SD card at some point after restarting (if the flasher menu comes back up press menu to exit first)
19. You are done! The image is changed at the top
If its not or somethings wrong, reread the instructions, read the forums, then post here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Template.png
Views:	680
Size:	3.0 KB
ID:	15047   Click image for larger version

Name:	kBookAssets.png
Views:	782
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	15048  

Last edited by Frog29; 08-08-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Frog29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:49 PM   #2
higgs
Connoisseur
higgs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicing

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kindle PW3
Thank you. I have now successfully changed my Reader logo.
My only problem now is with all these hacks I'm spending more time customising my reader than reading on it!

higgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
customize, flash, kbookassets.png, theme