Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
lstroyan
No title
lstroyan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Has anyone tried this 950 cover?

Has anyone tried one of these covers? There was one with a 5-star review but no other reivews, and I like that the pictures show an actual 950 in it, even though the same item is also listed for the nook. Like other covers with corner straps there will be the power button issue but I can work around that.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_of...%20Accessories

If the link doesn't come through, you can search Amazon for "950 purple plaid", and follow those links to other (mostly equally unattractive colors. They are less than $20 so I'm suspicious, but it looks decent.

Thanks!
lstroyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
I have a similar model, with corner straps in the exact same location. Yes, they do cover both the power switch and the wifi switch. I am still able to use both switches just fine, as long as I remember to hook the edge of my finger nail on the edge of the switch. That way I can move the switch (either one) in under the strap. Moving the switch in the direction of the 950's corner requires me to ease the strap out of the way first.

Frankly, if I was using the switches often, I would ditch this cover and go for another, but since I don't it's just an inconvenience now. That said, the case itself is a good one, plain black, no decorations at all, and it protects the reader from my clumsiness. The fact that it's snug and non-bulky is good for when I transport the 950 around in my purse as well.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
lstroyan
No title

Thanks for your quick reply! Do you have the same brand? Would you be willing to tell me how thick the case is with just the 950 in it? I want to see if I will be able to fit it in my purse (Miche regular size, which is not very wide!)

Also, would it work to just leave the upper left strap off (tucked behind the reader)? That's what I do with a homemade cover I have, and it's been secure enough.

Thanks again.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:20 PM   #4
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mine is a different brand than those, and looks like it might be thinner. If you can wait until I get home from work tonight, I'll take some pictures of the cover and reader and post them here.

The "inner" corner straps on my cover are gray elastic, and easy to move out of the way when I have to. I will experiment with sliding one of them off and see if the reader stays securely in the cover or not.

Last edited by ScalyFreak; 06-30-2011 at 07:25 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 06-30-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
I have a couple of them and, for the price, they are an EXCELLENT value. I will say that I prefer the leather one to the cloth one, as the cloth one seems to attract alot of line, etc, that is difficult to get off, but, that is just a personal preference. They are excellent for the money. Can't do much better.
Japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 09:11 PM   #6
lstroyan
No title

Ah, good advice, Japes. Are you able to measure the thickness easily? Does it differ between the two? I think I'll go for the black leather with brown.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:03 PM   #7
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I meant to say "lint," not "line." Anyway, in terms of thickness they are nearly identical, I would say, with the leather probably being ever so slightly thinner. The fit and finish is excellent on both, though. Really nice products for the price.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:55 PM   #8
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

This is my 950 cover.

And these are my pictures:

The stickers were added after purchase. Obviously. Also, I slipped the top left strap off and tucked it behind the reader, and the 950 still seemed perfectly safe in the cover as I was reading on the couch, in the kitchen while making dinner, and carried it around the house with me.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:07 AM   #9
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
In the future you'll be able to play Rockstar games in unicycle-fast color mode and then switch to non-glossy eOsmoroid (or whatever it will be called in my imagination, which I'm pretending will be the future).

I've missed two recent Rockstar games completely: L.A. Noire and Red Dead Redemption. Hope you haven't.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:01 AM   #10
Japes
Addict

I have that exact one also. It's also a nice case for the money. I still prefer the Amazon one from above, for the same money (I think I paid about $20 for each). Slightly better "fit and finish."
Old 07-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #11
lstroyan
No title

Thanks everyone! I'm going to get the black and brown faux leather, and one of those gorgeous skins
Old 07-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #12
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Happy to help. The skin is from Decalgirl.com They give you a download code for a free matching wallpaper as well, that I'm using as the screensaver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
I've missed two recent Rockstar games completely: L.A. Noire and Red Dead Redemption. Hope you haven't.
L.A Noire was actually a bit of a disappointment... it never really grabbed me, so I took a break from it, and find that I'm not the least bit curious or interested in going back to it. Though I admit that having The Witcher II to distract may have contributed to my lack of interest...

RDR is a masterpiece, maybe Rockstar's best game to date. If you like their sandbox games, you really need to get this one and give it a whirl.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:30 AM   #13
LoveMyKobo
LoveMyKobo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I just ordered item 44 on your list of covers. I like the idea of propping it up on my belly when I lay in bed reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstroyan View Post
Has anyone tried one of these covers? There was one with a 5-star review but no other reivews, and I like that the pictures show an actual 950 in it, even though the same item is also listed for the nook. Like other covers with corner straps there will be the power button issue but I can work around that.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_of...%20Accessories

If the link doesn't come through, you can search Amazon for "950 purple plaid", and follow those links to other (mostly equally unattractive colors. They are less than $20 so I'm suspicious, but it looks decent.

Thanks!
LoveMyKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:09 AM   #14
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
RDR is a masterpiece, maybe Rockstar's best game to date. If you like their sandbox games, you really need to get this one and give it a whirl.
You're not the first one to say that to me, but you might be the last who needs to say it. I've been a fan of Rockstar's post-moral sandbox since GTA III.

BTW: My grillfiend likes to wear black nail polish as well. She might like the gator-looking pattern you're wearing in your pics, but I have no idea what to tell her about how to find it. If it isn't your own personal confection, and you feel comfortable doing so, perhaps you can PM me so that I can pass the info on. She'd appreciate the effect's subtlety (no loud colors, pictures or ridiculous heaps of glitter, etc.).
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #15
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

I bought that polish at the drug store, and it's ridiculously easy to get that effect. I sent you a PM with more details.