Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-19-2010, 12:44 PM   #16
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
The readers are actually Spoken Word Bibles. They read the text in the patois of Haiti. Haiti is a very religious country. THe idea is to allow them to have a means of hearing their Bible. Many Haitians are also illiterate, so they can get the comfort from thier religion that they may want at the time.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:24 PM   #17
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
The readers are actually Spoken Word Bibles. They read the text in the patois of Haiti. Haiti is a very religious country. THe idea is to allow them to have a means of hearing their Bible. Many Haitians are also illiterate, so they can get the comfort from thier religion that they may want at the time.
That clears things up for me, thanks!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2010, 04:01 PM   #18
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
that;s all fine and well and a rdiiculous expense, undertaking, and cargo hold occupier when compared with food, water and medical needs
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:25 AM   #19
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I suspect what they don't need is a bunch of people a long way away telling them what they do or don't need.

I'm an atheist, but I wouldn't begrudge them any comfort they can find - and if this helps some of them then it's good imho.
I'd say creature comfort comes before anything else. Which, in this case, means simple things, such as clean water to drink and a roof over your head. Once the first necessities of living have been met, you can start thinking about mental comfort.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:19 PM   #20
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Hope is the greatest form of comfort, it is what gives people the resolve to continue. Some people curse their God or Gods when things go bad and some people call upon him for hope and comfort.

Personally I think it's a great idea. I'm sure they are without electricity so having something to listen to in the dark of night should provide some comfort.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 02:51 PM   #21
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
most of these people know bible text so well by heart that they don't need it read to them by a device. if I found out an organization I was donating money to for relief was investing in these I would withdraw my funds so quickly it would make their ancestors heads spin, and then fuss about it online.

these folks can tell one another their bible stories which is more than likely much more comforting than a canned Haitian accent. who or what is to say they would evne be able to operate them? they can't read the directions
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #22
Vector
Senile Delinquent
Vector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enough

Device: several
I believe the original post was tongue-in-cheek. However, if anyone is serious about sending Bibles to Haiti, I have a question. Why not fondue sets? Wouldn't they be more useful than Bibles?
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote