Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 02-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
Dullahir
Zealot
Dullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Android
Best Duplicate Finder Programmes?

So I was wondering: What is THE best Dupe Finder program that will actually find things like .epub and .mobi documents? Because the only Dupe Finders that I know of only find .pdf which is SUPER annoying, PLUS, they delete the original, AND the duplicate files, leaving me with zero copies.

Any ideas?
Dullahir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:13 AM   #2
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
The program that I use to check for duplicates is called Fast Duplicate File Finder:

http://www.mindgems.com/products/Fast-Duplicate-File-Finder/Fast-Duplicate-File-Finder-Download.htm
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
DedTV
Enthusiast
DedTV began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505; Galaxy Tab 7
If I just want to find and delete dupes quickly, I use CloneSpy.

If I need more fine control over what I'm doing, I use AllDup

Both are Free for non-commercial use.
Both can handle any kind of file to find exact dupes. AllDup has some tools and options to make dealing with similar files a bit easier (file preview and the ability to pass files to a program for comparison, etc).
Both programs also allow you to move "deleted" files to a folder rather than actually deleting them which you should ALWAYS do to avoid disastrous mistakes (although making a full backup is even better).

Last edited by DedTV; 02-18-2013 at 02:04 PM.
DedTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Forget all of that. You don't need any of it.

Just use Calibre with the Find Duplicates plugin. That's all you need.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
Dullahir
Zealot
Dullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Thanks for the excellent suggestions. However some of these won't work.

Also, I'm trying to find the dupes *before* sending them to Calibre, since sometimes books are renamed 'Sin and Seduction' 'Sin and Seduction (2)' which Calibre doesn't locate, neither does DoubleKiller.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dullahir View Post

Also, I'm trying to find the dupes *before* sending them to Calibre, since sometimes books are renamed 'Sin and Seduction' 'Sin and Seduction (2)' which Calibre doesn't locate, neither does DoubleKiller.
Give the Find Duplicates plugin for Calibre a go. It might do what you want other then finding the dupes before loading into Calibre.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:33 PM   #7
Dullahir
Zealot

I would, but I have 8k .epub files.

Also:

When using AllDupe:

I created a folder and in it, I added 'Becca Fitzpatrick - Hush, Hush' and 'Becca Fitzpatrick [Hush Hush Saga 1] Hush Hush' into a single folder and ran a check with the .epub filter.
I receive the same message I got from Doublekiller.

'1 Folder and 2 Files were located, but no duplicates were found.'

Could someone tell me please why this would be?
Old 02-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #8
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Fast Duplicate File Finder will find files that are EXACTLY THE SAME FILE.... aka, a duplicate file. From my reading of your initial post (seems as if DedTV also understood it this way), it seems that is what you were asking for.

If you meant something that specifically looks through the metadata, and tries to point out books that have the same title/author, but are in different formats/different files, then I would then recommend what JSWolf recommended.

Quote:
I created a folder and in it, I added 'Becca Fitzpatrick - Hush, Hush' and 'Becca Fitzpatrick [Hush Hush Saga 1] Hush Hush' into a single folder and ran a check with the .epub filter.
Did you try the "Find Duplicates" plugin?

There is no program that will magically handle all this different metadata for you, but that plugin should help wittle down doubles greatly. Cleaning up such a large library will still require lots of manual intervention... Although it should just be a job which will be required to be done once. From then on, just keep your collection clean.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Find duplicates plugin in Calibre will find those and give you powerful tools to deal with them.

As for duplicate files, if you set calibre to auto-merge duplicates, those will removed at the moment you import (or drag and drop) them into Calibre.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #10
Dullahir
Zealot

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, I tried the Find Duplicate plugin, and no, it wouldn't work for some reason.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

OK, here's what you can do given the similarity of the Metadata. Import all your eBooks.

Sort by title and manually look through the list.
Sort my author and manually look through the list

That seems to be about all you can do.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #12
Dullahir
Zealot

Thank you. I'll try other methods, as I have 16,032 epub files. See my conundrum?

And with Doublekiller AND AllDupe, sometimes it will find similarly named items. At least it did at first, like that 'Hush, Hush' example I've mentioned, it would have found that right quick. But for some odd reason, that only worked with .pdf and I don't like Adobe.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #13
DedTV
Enthusiast
DedTV began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505; Galaxy Tab 7
Quote:
When using AllDupe:

I receive the same message I got from Doublekiller.
The one weakness with all such programs have is they will only check for binary duplication. 2 ebook files that render exactly the same way in a viewer can be vastly different "binarily". As far as I know, there's no program that will check for rendered duplicates. If you were searching for binary dupes, that's probably why they didn't come up.

You might try Anti Twin which lets you find files with similar names which sounds like what you were trying to do with Alldup.
DedTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:01 AM   #14
kellygas
kellygas began at the beginning.

Device: none
Another alternative also that's worth trying is "Duplicate Files Deleter" ... great piece of software and effective, I'm currently using it to hunt and delete all duplicate files.. hope it helps..
kellygas is offline   Reply With Quote