Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #35356
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Halftime....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #35357
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
listening to the Broncos game on the radio, streamed through my computer because I cannot find it live to watch online that isn't totally dodgy (am at work). have to work tomorrow as well when the sea chickens play which means instead of being a little dead it will be TOTALLY dead ;o(
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #35358
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post

Reading that the girl was texting while driving made me instantly angry. Sometimes I surprise myself at the intensity of my feelings about certain things.

I think we are going to see a LOT of mobile phone related injuries in the near future, and not just drivers texting. People walking into traffic while looking at their phones, people spraining ankles stepping off curbs while texting, people bumping into others while moving through crowds but looking only at their phones. The latter is getting very common around here!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:06 AM   #35359
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
listening to the Broncos game on the radio, streamed through my computer because I cannot find it live to watch online that isn't totally dodgy (am at work). have to work tomorrow as well when the sea chickens play which means instead of being a little dead it will be TOTALLY dead ;o(
Gee, kk -- If I'd known you needed to know where to watch the game online, I would've stopped zapping the spam around this place for 5 minutes.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:11 AM   #35360
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Trying to decide whether or not to order an Oberon case for my new Kindle. I noticed that just after a week Amazon's case already has some scratches on it whilst it hasn't spend much time in my handbag yet. I also like that Oberon's cases have a closing, I now use an elastic band to keep Amazon's case closed in my bag. On the other hand I like how small and light the Kindle is in the original case and I know that the Oberon case add size and weight.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:57 AM   #35361
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I have just dragged my 800 old books downstairs, near the frontdoor. I'll call the 2 nd hand bookshop tomorrow and I'll drop them of. They promised me at least 50 cts a book. That is a far cry from some years ago when they would come to my house to collect them and hand me some cash ( often 8-900 euro for some 400 good books). Well, I'm happy to get some cash at all as bookstores are going through though times these days.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:01 AM   #35362
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
I have just dragged my 800 old books downstairs, near the frontdoor. I'll call the 2 nd hand bookshop tomorrow and I'll drop them of. They promised me at least 50 cts a book. That is a far cry from some years ago when they would come to my house to collect them and hand me some cash ( often 8-900 euro for some 400 good books). Well, I'm happy to get some cash at all as bookstores are going through though times these days.
Yep, in my recent massive cleanout trying to combine my household stuff with Mom's, I donated ALL my books to the thrift store, except for a few spinning and weaving books that are out of print. I just don't read anything but ebooks now, and I'm at a point in my life that I feel my possessions are weighing me down. Bless my nephew's heart, he carried countless boxes of books down my very steep stairs, and then unloaded them for me at the thrift store.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:06 AM   #35363
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Gee, kk -- If I'd known you needed to know where to watch the game online, I would've stopped zapping the spam around this place for 5 minutes.
No sh*t!

friggin, fraggin, broncos....and just after I was singing Peyton Mannings praises ....
Old 01-13-2013, 07:10 AM   #35364
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
Yep, in my recent massive cleanout trying to combine my household stuff with Mom's, I donated ALL my books to the thrift store, except for a few spinning and weaving books that are out of print. I just don't read anything but ebooks now, and I'm at a point in my life that I feel my possessions are weighing me down. Bless my nephew's heart, he carried countless boxes of books down my very steep stairs, and then unloaded them for me at the thrift store.
I hate giving up books but am slowly dumping my older technical and school books.....I think I'll be buried with my SF paperbacks....no way can I give them up at this point in my life. Or maybe a nice funeral pyre on a mountain top... hmm.....

otherwise I'm just hanging out going to fix myself a nice breakfast and will be going to see the "Becoming Van Gogh" exhibit with my kids this afternoon.

Last edited by kennyc; 01-13-2013 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #35365
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I hate giving up books but am slowly dumping my older technical and school books.....I think I'll be buried with my SF paperbacks....no way can I give them up at this point in my life. Or maybe a nice funeral pyre on a mountain top... hmm.....
One advantage of moving around the globe is that I've had to reduce the volume of our possessions. Before starting up with an e-reader, our front room was packed with full bookshelves. Now, with the exception of music books, art, and crafts books, plus 5-10 old favorites saved for their nostalgia value, all the books are gone. Most were donated to the local library, which had no English language books at all at the time.

Stitchawl
Old 01-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #35366
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
Those are my sentiments also, the weighing down (+ I'm saving up for an iPad mini ). But I have way too much books. I'll unload my paperback crime and fantasy, but still I have too many books I cannot part with+ I used to collect antiquarian books. Well....I may be a lost case anyway.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #35367
kennyc

Soaked the red beans overnight, just chopped onion, green pepper, smoked sausage and am beginning to cook Red Beans and Sausage. Will bake the cornbread later this morning. Mmmmm...
Old 01-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #35368
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I think we are going to see a LOT of mobile phone related injuries in the near future, and not just drivers texting. People walking into traffic while looking at their phones, people spraining ankles stepping off curbs while texting, people bumping into others while moving through crowds but looking only at their phones. The latter is getting very common around here!

Stitchawl
We've seen quite a few here already, especially with teen drivers. In fact, a nonlethal, somewhat humerous clip made it to cable news as a guy in California, paying attention to his phone, almost walked into a bear. Yes, a bear!

Guy Walks into a Bear

and there there's this:

Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #35369
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
We've seen quite a few here already, especially with teen drivers. In fact, a nonlethal, somewhat humerous clip made it to cable news as a guy in California, paying attention to his phone, almost walked into a bear. Yes, a bear!
I hate that when it happens.

I'm busy designing a charging dock for my phone. I guess it's too new for any place in Japan to be selling docks for the iPhone 5 yet, though I've seen a couple on line. I've been using an adapter with my old dock, but I'll be changing cases soon and the adapter won't fit the new case. I have to use the Lightening Cable... that means a new dock! So today I bought some small hardwood blocks at the home center, and will build a dock that can accept the lightening cable at the correct height for the new case while still allowing the waterproof port cover some clearance space. I figure I'll only need to cut one of the blocks down to size, and make up actually sitting space with some of Billy May's "Mighty Putty!" I like making things!

Stitchawl
Old 01-13-2013, 08:13 AM   #35370
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I hate that when it happens.

I'm busy designing a charging dock for my phone. I guess it's too new for any place in Japan to be selling docks for the iPhone 5 yet, though I've seen a couple on line. I've been using an adapter with my old dock, but I'll be changing cases soon and the adapter won't fit the new case. I have to use the Lightening Cable... that means a new dock! So today I bought some small hardwood blocks at the home center, and will build a dock that can accept the lightening cable at the correct height for the new case while still allowing the waterproof port cover some clearance space. I figure I'll only need to cut one of the blocks down to size, and make up actually sitting space with some of Billy May's "Mighty Putty!" I like making things!

Stitchawl

Sounds like a potential market there....hmmm....

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?