Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 11-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
MattRaven
MattRaven began at the beginning.

Device: Win 7 Tablet
Windows 7 Touchscreen Tablet

I recently bought the fantastic (IMHO) Acer Iconia W500 tablet. It runs a full version of Windows 7, and I am having a tough time finding a good book reader for it.

You would think it would be easy. There are tons of great Windows book readers, right?

But, I need one with Touch Screen support. Or at the least, one where 'clicking' on the page turns it to the next page. (When I touch my screen, it does a mouse click at that spot)

Anyone know of a book reader that has that feature?

Every one I have tried expects you to use the mouse wheel, or hit 'down', or click on an arrow on the screen. That is all well and good, but I really don't want to have to click on a small on-screen button every time I want to turn the page

Calibre seems to be able to load addons to enhance it. Maybe there is an addon to let me click anywhere on the screen to turn the page?

Thanks!!!!

Matt
MattRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:27 AM   #2
tuskin
Enthusiast
tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Xiaomi Redmi Note 9, Surface 3
Hi,

try FBreader - works fine on my Acer Aspire 1825PT's touchscreen.
tuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
The Firefox addon EpubReader also works in this way and work well on my tablet (incidently, it's also an 1825PT).
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:28 AM   #4
HowGozit
Connoisseur
HowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS650, Kobo, Asus Tab 8, iPod Touch, Galaxy Tab, Surface Pr2
You can also use the Kindle software, oddly enough. Set the words per line to the point where you have a left and right margin, and you can use touch or a stylus (for an active digitiser like my portege M700) and the pages will go back and forth fine.

Must try FBReader myself - works really well on my Android tabs.

Ross
HowGozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:11 PM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowGozit View Post
You can also use the Kindle software, oddly enough. Set the words per line to the point where you have a left and right margin, and you can use touch or a stylus (for an active digitiser like my portege M700) and the pages will go back and forth fine.

Must try FBReader myself - works really well on my Android tabs.

Ross
Interesting discussion. Since I only rarely read books on my tablet computer I only have the Kindle reader on it. And that works fine with the Wacom pen, so I have never considered alternatives. But at 12.1" the screen is too big for book reading (and I still prefer e-ink), I only use this device for magazines and newspapers, anyway.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
If I may resurrect an old thread -

I've recently replaced my old laptop with a new Samsung Series 7 Slate. This is a tablet running Win 7. I bought it mainly for doing Windows programs stuff. But of course it can be used as an ebook reader. I'm currently using FBReader for epubs, Foxit Reader for pdfs and Kindle for mobis. Are there any other possiblities?
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can also use Calibre as a reading program. I also use Zinio for magazines and newspaperdirect for (you guessed it) newspapers.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
If I may resurrect an old thread -

I've recently replaced my old laptop with a new Samsung Series 7 Slate. This is a tablet running Win 7. I bought it mainly for doing Windows programs stuff. But of course it can be used as an ebook reader. I'm currently using FBReader for epubs, Foxit Reader for pdfs and Kindle for mobis. Are there any other possiblities?
There are dozens of possibilities. See our wiki E-book software for lots of eBook reading programs.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:34 AM   #9
inanytime
inanytime began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
SumatraPDF: a very fast, light, small, portable open-source PDF, ePub, MOBI, CHM, XPS, DjVu, CBZ, CBR reader for Windows.

Works well with windows tablets, very smooth and fast scrolling through pages , and you can even rotate using gestures.
inanytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Guess ther will be a kindle app for Win 8 shortly, if you do not mind to update.

Regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Actually the kindle app is in the store at present as well as nook.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by exscentric View Post
Actually the kindle app is in the store at present as well as nook.
But it is US only. Very easy to get around this, though. Change your country setting to US, open the Store and download the app. Go back to your original country setting.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:41 AM   #13
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How is the Kindle app?

The Kindle for PC application is horrible, IMO, if I compare it, e.g. to the iPad app.

Best regards,
Andy
Old 11-19-2012, 10:17 PM   #14
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
How is the Kindle app?

The Kindle for PC application is horrible, IMO, if I compare it, e.g. to the iPad app.

Best regards,
Andy
Seems almost the same as the Android app, what functionality are you looking for? I just set screen background and font type+size, then I open a book and read. As long as dictionary, foot notes, etc. all work I have no special requirements.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #15
Andy_T
Evangelist

Does it support two-(or even multiple-) column text?

Don't understand how the Kindle app on the Fire does not have it (nor the eink Kindles) while it is available in the iPad version. I mean, why would Amazon deliberately make the app for the Apple iPad (which is a competitor) better than that for its own devices?

And what I found particularly horrible in the PC application (do not remember correctly, I removed it again as it did not work after some time - memory error or something similar) was that there was nearly no way to match the size of the print area to the size of the window - there were always huge margins unless you made it exactly the format suggested.

Best regards,
Andy