Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #46
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Unless you count screwy font sizing and even screwier landscape epub mode which merely enlarges the portrait mode and splits it across two pages rather than doing a truly independent reflow. Sony could easily fix both of these glaring issues, but just continues to thumb their corporate nose at us.
I agree with this assessment. And it would be nice if Sony would acknowledge our requests. That said & after trying the Nook Touch a few times at the store, I will definitely be sticking with my Sony. If Sony comes up with a reader in the Fall & it addresses some of the issues I have with it, I would definitely upgrade.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #47
S Livingston
Connoisseur
S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle
I think that the Kindle will be the dominant eReader on the market.
S Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #48
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Livingston View Post
You have an excellent ability to predict the present.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:30 PM   #49
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Livingston View Post

Perhaps. If they go to touch screen there is a good chance it might be in some areas of the world. It certainly is easily available in the USA & the price is decent. That said I prefer my Sony 350 to the Kindle3 I have because I like the size of my 350 & the ease of navigation.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #50
Leyor
Ninja Librarian
Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Cybook 3. gen, Sony T1, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Hehe that made me chuckle a bit
Leyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:39 PM   #51
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
ROFL
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #52
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Indeed, and an incredibly keen grasp of the obvious . . .

Clearly now, Amazon has such a commanding lead that it's Amazon's 'game to win or loose', but what is equally obvious, is that only a few years ago when Sony had the ONLY eInk readers on the market, it was their 'game to loose' as well, and through stupidity and greed, they DID LOOSE.

Stupidity like thinking that letting your publishers charge 15 to 20 dollars for an eBook in the Sony-Store was actually a good thing, because not only could you share in their outrageous profits, but it would also make the high price of the Sony readers look more reasonable by way of comparison.

But now that Kobo and B&N are fairly closely matching Amazon on book prices, and have raised the bar by introducing Touch Readers at the same price as Amazon's Non-Touch Kindle, Amazon will have to respond by either low-balling their current Kindle, or introducing a Touch Kindle model.

Otherwise, like Sony, Amazon could wake up in a few years to find that the market has slipped away from them.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #53
RajS
Enthusiast
RajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmos

Device: PRS-950
Smile

Apologies for this and it's the first time I've ever done it but I think it's important that we all start to get this out there before it's too late.....

lose and loose are NOT the same word. Honestly.

Cheers.
RajS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not in the slightest. They will still be able to read their ePub books on other devices, and buy books at any ePub bookstore.
Except B&N.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #55
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphin View Post
Indeed, and an incredibly keen grasp of the obvious . . .

Clearly now, Amazon has such a commanding lead that it's Amazon's 'game to win or loose', but what is equally obvious, is that only a few years ago when Sony had the ONLY eInk readers on the market, it was their 'game to loose' as well, and through stupidity and greed, they DID LOOSE.

Stupidity like thinking that letting your publishers charge 15 to 20 dollars for an eBook in the Sony-Store was actually a good thing, because not only could you share in their outrageous profits, but it would also make the high price of the Sony readers look more reasonable by way of comparison.

But now that Kobo and B&N are fairly closely matching Amazon on book prices, and have raised the bar by introducing Touch Readers at the same price as Amazon's Non-Touch Kindle, Amazon will have to respond by either low-balling their current Kindle, or introducing a Touch Kindle model.

Otherwise, like Sony, Amazon could wake up in a few years to find that the market has slipped away from them.
Obviously Sony is more of a hardware company than a bookstore. Therefore they didn't really have the same position in the market as Amazon and B&N. People wouldn't buy a Sony reader because they were keen on buying books from Sony. Yet people will buy their readers from Amazon and B&N just because they buy most their paper books there as well.
If Sony can't sell their readers in the US because the market is dominated by cross subsidized readers then perhaps they should just abandon the US market and concentrate on more attractive markets.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #56
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
My impression is Sony is in a holding pattern. Sony hardware cannot compete with Amazon content and delivery. But no one is sure where the market will go. They don't want to abandon the market, so they will be happy to break even on R&D and see what happens.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:51 PM   #57
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post
If Sony can't sell their readers in the US because the market is dominated by cross subsidized readers then perhaps they should just abandon the US market and concentrate on more attractive markets.
I think they are and they have. Sony has stopped shipping all models of the Reader to their retailers. It has completely liquidated the retail channel (or was pushed out of it). It cannot make an effort to satisfy the demand even through its own online store. And it totally stopped the production of most required accessories. I am sorry to say this, but the situation has all the signs of a product line that is being discontinued. There is absolutely no reasonable explanation for the "shortages" of the Sony Readers and accessories. Unless the entire production volume is directed toward satisfying the huge demand in a particular profitable part of the world (Japan?) such a disregard towards the Western (and especially U.S.) market cannot be justified.

I am not sure which markets Sony might consider more attractive or important than the U.S. market. I wonder if the demand for readers and accessories is being satisfied in the retail channel still remaining in Europe. At introduction the Reader famously was a major hit in Japan, but I don't know if it is still a hot commodity there. And 950 was never released outside the U.S.

I've been a fan for a few years, having bought the PRS-500 when it first came out. I've owned all models of the Sony Readers. The impending demise of a great product that was in many regards a technology and innovation leader is rather sad and puzzling for me. After a couple of years of misses 2010 brought a major hit - the combination of Pearl screen and UV touch. Hard to believe that the accountants in Sony declared this hit a failure.

Today the U.S. market is flooded by technologically similar kindles, nooks and kobos. I guess, sooner or later I am going to pick one of the other brands and move on.

Last edited by porkupan; 06-07-2011 at 10:55 PM.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:43 PM   #58
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
I think they are and they have. Sony has stopped shipping all models of the Reader to their retailers. It has completely liquidated the retail channel (or was pushed out of it). It cannot make an effort to satisfy the demand even through its own online store. And it totally stopped the production of most required accessories. I am sorry to say this, but the situation has all the signs of a product line that is being discontinued. There is absolutely no reasonable explanation for the "shortages" of the Sony Readers and accessories....
How about an Earthquake and Tsunami? Or massive sales in Japan and Asia, which are specifically attributed to the shortages.

http://sony.ereaderjournal.com/tag/ereader-sales/

Quote:
I am not sure which markets Sony might consider more attractive or important than the U.S. market. I wonder if the demand for readers and accessories is being satisfied in the retail channel still remaining in Europe. At introduction the Reader famously was a major hit in Japan, but I don't know if it is still a hot commodity there. And 950 was never released outside the U.S.
See above. Though I don't think we're in danger of losing the Reader in the US.

Quote:
I've been a fan for a few years, having bought the PRS-500 when it first came out. I've owned all models of the Sony Readers. The impending demise of a great product that was in many regards a technology and innovation leader is rather sad and puzzling for me. After a couple of years of misses 2010 brought a major hit - the combination of Pearl screen and UV touch. Hard to believe that the accountants in Sony declared this hit a failure.

Today the U.S. market is flooded by technologically similar kindles, nooks and kobos. I guess, sooner or later I am going to pick one of the other brands and move on.
You don't seem to realize the Kobo sells a fraction of the Reader. You're going to abandon the Sony for something that sells far less... all because the perceived limited sales, and the doom-and-gloom of this thread, which is based on mis-attributing the numbers of Sony's loss.

Now, what "accountants at Sony" have decided this hit was a failure? Just because you've deemed it as such doesn't mean Sony did too.

-Pie

Last edited by EatingPie; 06-07-2011 at 11:47 PM.
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:32 AM   #59
Leyor
Ninja Librarian
Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Cybook 3. gen, Sony T1, Kindle Paperwhite
I think there's alot of apologism here. I know there's some kind of investment in a brand, and we don't really want to be the "loosers", but there's alot of signs and unless Sony is in the middle of the most ingenous market strategy, where neglect is some secret strategy, we can all see where this is going.

Giving up the retail channels, discontinuing accessories and not releasing updates to their products does have the hallmarks of the end of a product line.

Sony had an incredibly lead on quality and technology, a lead that's being rapidly diminished by far cheaper readers.

The good news is, we all have a really good product thats up to date. Bad news is, it SEEMS to be going downhill from here.
Leyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:02 AM   #60
sonyreaderfan
Groupie
sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader Prs 950, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyor View Post
Giving up the retail channels, discontinuing accessories and not releasing updates to their products does have the hallmarks of the end of a product line.
Just wondering, how long as the newest line of prs X50 been in the market? Over a year? Less than a year? 6 months? When do Sony usually update their products? By not releasing update do you mean firmware updates? I don't have a Kindle 3 but I remember it being released in July 2010. How frequently has Kindle updated its firmware?
sonyreaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote