Notices

Old 05-23-2010, 05:10 PM   #106
tmarks11
tmarks11 began at the beginning.

Device: Everun
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonize View Post
Curious how you go from Windows Mobile to an iPod touch :-/
I have ran back and forth between palm and WinMo hardware for the last 9 years. Haven't tried WebOS because I have been locked into VZW.

The thing that that people love about WinMo is that it is so customizeable... but without that customization, it just plan sucks. Apple allows no real customization, but out of the box is much more useable. I guess I have gotten tired of throwing on new roms and restoring programs, etc.

Actually, what makes me think about the ipod is because I can put the kindle and ibook app on it, and have the same library on both devices. For whatever reason, Amazon has chosen to ignore winmo when the made Kindle... which is ridiculous, since they own Mobipocket, which has the best pda ebook reader of all time. I want something more portable then the ipad for casual reading chances. I am also looking forward to letting Amazon handle my library for me instead of having to continuously change formats, move from computer to computer, etc. They have done a good job with my audible.com library.

Quote:
Point 3...given that one of the main gripes about ebook readers is the page transition time you'd think Apple would of made it instantaneous as that would be a selling point.
That is one of those places where lack of customization on Apple irks me a bit... in the old PDA ereader days, you get to adjust margins, background and text color, etc. Out the whazoo. You would think some customization would be useful. Like instantaneous page transitions.
tmarks11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:19 PM   #107
carbonize
Connoisseur
carbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony PRS-600
Well here's hoping that Android 2.2 is as good as everyone has said it is.
carbonize is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2010, 05:44 PM   #108
Jonimeesermann
Connoisseur
Jonimeesermann began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e71, Ipod Touch, Sony PRS 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I grew up in the tropics, so maybe I'm different, but sitting in full sun and reading does not appeal to me at all. Even when I sit outside, I stay under shade, for my skin, as well as my eyes.
Definitely agree with that. Maybe it's because geographical difference and climate that people like me (whose country is all along the equator) doesn't really appreciate the sun. I mean, we have it all year, so there is no something special about it. No "Oh the weather is nice today, maybe I'll go out and take walk or read outside in the park".

No, I don't do that. So, the advantage of e-ink being not affected by sunlight is not really a plus.
Jonimeesermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:03 PM   #109
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimeesermann View Post
Definitely agree with that. Maybe it's because geographical difference and climate that people like me (whose country is all along the equator) doesn't really appreciate the sun. I mean, we have it all year, so there is no something special about it. No "Oh the weather is nice today, maybe I'll go out and take walk or read outside in the park".

No, I don't do that. So, the advantage of e-ink being not affected by sunlight is not really a plus.

iPad outdoors in general just isn't that good even in the shade. it usable, but for a good sit down reading session, it just won't cut it.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:12 PM   #110
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Personally, I'd be perfectly happy if I never had to enter the outdoors period. Sunburn, bug bites, hot weather, cold weather (hardly ever just right), allergies etc.

So there's zero chance of me sitting outside and reading, computing etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2010, 09:47 PM   #111
voodooblues
Connoisseur
voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iPad(3 or HD or whatever), iPad Mini, Kindle 7" hdx, Samsung 7 tab 3
I have had 3 versions of Sony Reader, a Nook and now an iPad. Each have there advantages. I love my Nook for reading but it is slow to boot and battery life leaves a lot to desired. The iPad may not do very well outside, but I have multiple reader apps on it which gives me opportunities I do not have with the other readers. There are authors that are only available on one device. Also it allows me to read technical PDF files better than other readers. Plus all the other apps.

To each for his needs!

Oh and by the way this response came from my iPad

Last edited by voodooblues; 05-23-2010 at 09:58 PM.
voodooblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:33 PM   #112
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
iPad outdoors in general just isn't that good even in the shade. it usable, but for a good sit down reading session, it just won't cut it.
I've spent many enjoyable hours reading on my iPad while lounging in my hammock under shade. Did so earlier today, for instance. If I hadn't been able to read comfortably, I could've used my Kindle. Have not had to, but it's nice to have the option. Many of us with iPads have e-ink readers as well.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:06 PM   #113
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
The "acid" test will be whether once purchased the user continues to use it ....
I for one, love my Ipad for reading and having the Kindle app brought all my Amazon Kindle purchases on board. The lighting is adjustable and works fine for me. As for the "weight" of 1.4 pounds, I just rest it on a small pillow in my lap if I don't want to hold it. I love have a backlight which was a complaint about the Kindle (remember Kindle owners!). As a book reader, it is working for me!
I hated the "experimental" browser on the Kindle. I love the Safari browser on the iPad. Missing flash? not so much.
Am I "cool" because I own one? No, but I do truly enjoy sharing it with others and watching the joy and amazement on their faces when they try it out! Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. New technology is always worth sharing.
The iPad may not be "magical" but it is revolutionary in my opinion. It's the next step in portable computing and tablets, like netbooks, will become common place as more products are offered by different companies.
As for the thread on reading it in direct sunlight, just remember, direct sunlight isn't good for any computer device. I can read it on my covered porch if I want to but yes, it is best inside just like any LCD screen. Would you try to watch your LCD Tv outside in bright sunlight? Not!

Last edited by MsAstoria; 05-23-2010 at 11:23 PM.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:31 PM   #114
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
I saw the ipad last weekend. I was stroking it as waves of insidious emanations passed thru my mind.

"Yes, my pretty...." the cable suddenly pulled it free of my grasp as I walked away from the table.

I don't think that a significant number of ipad owners will be buying ebooks. But I do think that it will spread the idea of reading further into the consciousness of the general public.
I wonder about that, I think it very likely that an IPad owner would buy a book or two and try it out. If you are an avid reader, of course you would add books to it! If you primarily bought it as a secondary computer for internet browsing, then probably not. But even a internet surfer is "reading" so I say: reading is reading! Whether its' a formal book or reading content on a web site, we are all reading and learning.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:48 AM   #115
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Let's be brutally honest. Most people who have already purchased an iPad (please note I said most not all) have only done so as

1 - They believe the hype
2 - They think it makes them look cool
3 - They like eye candy over features
4 - They think it makes them superior to their friends
Shakespeare has already responded to your comment: Macbeth Act V Scene V lines 29-31 http://shakespeare.mit.edu/macbeth/macbeth.5.5.html

Last edited by Harmon; 05-24-2010 at 01:32 AM.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:06 AM   #116
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
I definitely prefer the kindle app over ibook. Simulated pages? Give me a break. I would prefer page transitions to be instantaneous.
On my iPad I prefer the iBook simulated page change to the Kindle app simulation. Not sure that would be true on my iphone. The fake page might be wrong for a small screen.

I think that it was Stanza (IIRC) that had what I regard as the best simulation - a page roll that started in the lower right corner and ended in the upper left. This had the effect of guiding the eye naturally as the page changed.

But the best page change I've seen was one that simply had the words evaporate and be replaced - with no simulation at all. It was an option in some newsreader app & now I can't locate it - might have been eliminated in an upgrade.

If this latter one is what you mean by instantaneous, I certainly agree for the iPhone. I'd have to see it on the iPad before making a judgment, though.

Size does make a difference...in both directions.

Last edited by Harmon; 05-24-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:27 AM   #117
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
Am I "cool" because I own one?
Actually, you have it backwards.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:18 AM   #118
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
As to ebooks Apple will do exactly what they have done with the iPhone/iPod which is force you to use their proprietary software to put the books on your device which is hardly embracing open source as Steve Jobs ranted on about in his anti Flash speech.
By 'forcing' you to use iBooks.
Or the Kindle app.
Or the B&N app.
Or the Kobo app.
Or readMe.
Or GoodReader.
(Not all of which make you use iTunes to transfer files).

If there is a device other than a desktop/laptop which has more options, what it is?
Oh, and you aren't forced to use iTunes to put books on an iPhone/ iPod Touch either. Indeed you can't use iTunes to put books on an iPhone/iPod Touch!
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:20 AM   #119
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Now can you listen to music whilst reading? Nope because it doesn't support multitasking
Yes, you can.
You could ask about this stuff, rather than just stating it.

Last edited by murraypaul; 05-24-2010 at 06:28 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:28 AM   #120
carbonize
Connoisseur
carbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Yes, you can.
It would really be a good idea to have some sort of clue before posting.
That would be news to me since most of the reviews I have read from iPad owners clearly state that it cannot multitask and playing music whilst doing something else at the same time would clearly be defined as multitasking.

Quote:
No Multitasking
This is a backbreaker. If this is supposed to be a replacement for netbooks, how can it possibly not have multitasking? Are you saying I can't listen to Pandora while writing a document? I can't have my Twitter app open at the same time as my browser? I can't have AIM open at the same time as my email? Are you kidding me? This alone guarantees that I will not buy this product.
[source]

In fact according to this article the iPad will not be getting multitasking until this autumn/fall.

As to your previous post you have listed a lot of THIRD PARTY apps. Third party meaning they were not made by Apple and therefore not restricted to Apple's practices.
carbonize is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad