Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #61
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Maybe amount of internal storage depends on the property of memory. Maybe the more memory you have the shorter battery life? That could also explain price difference between SDHC and MLC memory that Sony uses for inernal storage space?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:09 PM   #62
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
No,flash memory uses near to no power.
Your camera does not last longer because it has a 2GB SD card inside compared to an 8GB.

Most likely technology has moved on too fast, and newer contracts haven't yet been made between the companies.
The flash memory today has more storage,is faster, is smaller in size, and uses less power than previous generations (because it's made on a smaller process),plus, it costs almost the same.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2008, 08:50 PM   #63
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Reminds me of all the hoopla about a $50 entry price when the Kindle was only then vaporware.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:47 AM   #64
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
No,flash memory uses near to no power.
Your camera does not last longer because it has a 2GB SD card inside compared to an 8GB.

Most likely technology has moved on too fast, and newer contracts haven't yet been made between the companies.
The flash memory today has more storage,is faster, is smaller in size, and uses less power than previous generations (because it's made on a smaller process),plus, it costs almost the same.
Then why everbody agrees that the battery life is a lot longer when you read books from internal memory vs. sony memory stick/SD cards?
Old 12-05-2008, 07:16 AM   #65
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Then why everbody agrees that the battery life is a lot longer when you read books from internal memory vs. sony memory stick/SD cards?
I didn't think so. I got 3 weeks battery life, and I was using a cheap 1GB card in my 500.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2008, 08:21 AM   #66
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I didn't think so. I got 3 weeks battery life, and I was using a cheap 1GB card in my 500.
OK. Not everybody. Most people think so.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:10 PM   #67
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
The reason why is because the internal flash controller is always active, while the SD card controller is only active when using a Flash card.
Should you be able to unsolder the internal memory,and directly wire it to a - say- 8GB flash card, you would not see any drop in battery life.

Basically if they would not use the internal memory, and just equip the reader with an SDHC cardreader inside, you would have the same battery life (or nearly the same).

The reason they did not do this, is because SDHC cards are slower, and have a higher error rate (lower errorchecking) than Flash memory chips.

But speed is only an issue when you start transferring large or many files, and with system bootup.
Probably pageswaps will take 0,6 to 0,7 seconds / pageswap instead of 0,5 seconds. But you'll end up with a device being 25-50$ cheaper, and having a capacity of between 1 to 32GB.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:12 PM   #68
astra
The Introvert

I see.
Thanks for the explanation.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:29 PM   #69
glasgowdave
glasgowdave began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 in the UK!
anyone know anything about a UK kindle? being able to subscribe to papers etc and have them afresh each day is a killer app for me. i'd love to see it here, the proprietary aspect of being "locked in" doesn't bother me...and it doesn't bother most of the people that have made iTunes so successful either. i reckon we're on the the cusp of a total change in the way reading is viewed.
glasgowdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:19 AM   #70
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgowdave View Post
anyone know anything about a UK kindle? being able to subscribe to papers etc and have them afresh each day is a killer app for me. i'd love to see it here, the proprietary aspect of being "locked in" doesn't bother me...and it doesn't bother most of the people that have made iTunes so successful either. i reckon we're on the the cusp of a total change in the way reading is viewed.
Welcome to MR, Dave.

There has been a great deal of discussion about this in the past. The issue with a European rollout of the Kindle is the proliferation of telecoms companies across Europe, and the need to negotiate deals for "free" data traffic in multiple countries with multiple legislative frameworks, not to mention roaming agreements, etc. It's a nightmare.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, kindle 2.0