Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-11-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
apgm
apgm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Poor formatting for Kindle Paperwhite

I am new to Calibre and wanted to transfer a few books we already had in digital format to my Paperwhite. The books are in lib, txt and pdf format. I have converted them to mobi as recommended for Paperwhite, but when I load them onto the kindle they are full of extra line spaces which makes them difficult to read comfortably. Am I doing something wrong or do some files just not convert properly?
apgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Which ones had problems? Txt should convert ok if not prettily, but PDFs are pretty much always a mess. You can fiddle with the line unwrap factor when converting, to try to improve the PDF output (the Calibre manual covers this), but it's never going to be super nice.

I'm not familiar with lib, sorry. Googling suggests that .lib files are static libraries in Windows, which doesn't help.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
apgm
apgm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Sorry about that typo - it should have read .lit files. They all have shown the problem. I know .pdf may be a lost cause, but wondered what setting alterations I may make for the other two so that line spaces only come at the end of each paragraph rather than every line or even mid-sentence!
apgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You might try enabling the heuristics conversion option. It tries to guess at suitable settings for some of the conversion options by examining the input file.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:47 AM   #5
daveps
daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Lit is also a rubbish format for conversions. I have no idea where you got your books from but would suggest trying to get them in mobi, ePub or html, mobi will require no conversion for the paperwhite.
daveps is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2013, 05:31 AM   #6
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveps View Post
Lit is also a rubbish format for conversions. I have no idea where you got your books from but would suggest trying to get them in mobi, ePub or html, mobi will require no conversion for the paperwhite.
LIT is actually (within its limitations) pretty good for conversions. I think Calibre even prefers it as a conversion source over MOBI, when converting to something else.

I think the bad conversions probably were the PDFs. LIT converts cleanly in my experience.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:58 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
LITs in general are fine. However, there are some lits that are just wrappers around plain TXT files, and these do not convert well.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:42 AM   #8
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
LITs in general are fine. However, there are some lits that are just wrappers around plain TXT files, and these do not convert well.
OK, I didn't know that.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:07 AM   #9
daveps
daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I think these are the LITs I have experienced which perhaps lead to my jaded view of them
daveps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, line spaces, paperwhite