Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Oiled Leather Cases for Sony Readers Now Available from HMC

Some of the most beautiful cases I've ever seen for the Kindle have just been created out of oiled leather by Etsy member, hmcurrie:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/hmcurriers

We might not be able to petition big companies to create cases for the 350 and 650, but it might be possible to convince smaller crews and individuals like hmcurrie if they receive enough requests. Now that the official Sony case has become a rare bird, I can't think of a better option for the same price Stateside than if the gorgeous leather and clasps being offered by hmcurrie were available for Sony readers.

Edit: Now they are available:

Tiny version of the original image of the HMC Kindle case that started this discussion:

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 07-01-2011 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Less hyperbolic gushing in light of Astra's concerns.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
That is a beautiful cover. Sure can't hurt to petition for 350/650 cases there. When I sent a petition to M-Edge, they told me they had no plans for making 350 covers so to them.
Advert
Old 04-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good news: Just received a message from Josh (TMC) and the upshot is they *will* make cases for the 350. The price is better than the one for the Kindle cover. He's willing to make covers for the PRS-650 as well!
Old 04-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Thanks. I tried to find how to contact him, but got distracted by barking dogs, the dryer buzzer going off & forgot to finish what I was doing. Need i say I'm easily distracted?
Old 04-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
Thanks. I tried to find how to contact him, but got distracted by barking dogs. . . .
Many a pooch has put the crimp in a thinking person's focus. Allow me to help.

Hidden Mountain Curriers' Etsy page

HMC on Facebook

No need to petition any longer for PRS-350 and 650 cases: It's a done thing. Order if you feel so inclined!

Mods: Could you please change the title of the thread to "Oiled Leather Cases for Sony Readers Now Available from HMC"? The thread began as a petition, but HMC granted our request.

Just to let you know, here's what I ordered: The burgundy cover with brown inside (as shown in the above photo) with an ornamental but yet unnamed button with clasp.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-24-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Advert
Old 04-23-2011, 11:38 PM   #6
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I must admit these are superb covers and as I have just purchased a Sony PRS-650, a cover is the first thing to buy.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:58 PM   #7
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Wow, the cover is beautiful.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:07 AM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
When I sent a petition to M-Edge, they told me they had no plans for making 350 covers so to them.
I tried that, too, with the same response.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:22 AM   #9
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500

I have a strong dislike for covers that hold an ebook reader by straps at its corners.
Sony's cover is the most efficient design for me.
Beautiful? No idea. When I read a book I don't see the cover because I fold it.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #10
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Got to agree with astra on this, got Sony covers for all my PRS readers and they are the most suitable being designed for the job... there've been grumbles about the fragility of the pin mountings but since I put a cover on and it stays on, no problem... I guess if you want to keep removing the cover and putting it back then elastic straps may suit better but, from my point of view, the cover is to protect my reader and it needs protecting just as much when being read in the house as when out and about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post

I have a strong dislike for covers that hold an ebook reader by straps at its corners.
Sony's cover is the most efficient design for me.
Beautiful? No idea. When I read a book I don't see the cover because I fold it.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #11
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

I own the Sony cover, too, and a Kindle cover from M-Edge that uses the same corner-mounting system as TMC's.

If the Sony readers had keyboards, as the Kindle does, I might worry about the corner pieces getting in the way. But since they don't, I'm not sure why the bracket mounting system of the official cover would be necessary for us.

For me, aesthetics are important (see my thread about the 350's silver color), and stone-oiled leather, which will acquire surface complexities with use without ever losing its color, is a beautiful option. But additionally, the quality of the materials and stitching make it a more durable option than the official cover, which feels rather flimsy to me and has the disadvantage of lacking a closure magnet or other system (shouldn't a case be made to be dropped?). Sony's bracket system, which is handy, ingenious and unproblematic, is also made of plastic. Not everyone wants that in a case.

The question, of course, is how durable the cover need be for an electronic device with a non-removable battery. Let's hope Sony will change our batteries at least once during our devices' life-cycles, and that we won't long to replace our Readers before we must.

Yes, I might fold the cover back, but I'm still aware of the material from which it's made as well as its look and feel. I'm also especially aware of the look and feel of the cover when it's closed and I'm carrying my reader like a book. It's a nice feeling to glance down in the midst of traveling and see something beautiful.

No official cover owner need feel marginalized by other offerings. We all have different tastes and requirements.

I think we can agree that choice should not be discouraged, and that the first cover offering of this kind should have a chance. Unlike Sony, HMC is a tiny operation. It is therefore far more likely to be sensitive to us and address our individual requests than Sony or any other larger company. For that reason alone, Reader owners ought to be happy about this whether they like corner-mounting covers or not.

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

The last point I'll raise is the one about price:

HMC's covers for the 350 cost less than their Kindle cover and less than the official Sony cover. No light is included, unfortunately, but shipping is free.

People who want cheaper options and a bracket-mounting case that actually closes should consider the cover by Proporta. A user on the Amazon product page claimed Proporta's leather isn't real, but others have said otherwise. I'd love to hear from a Mobile Read member who owns one.

Once I receive the HMC cover and get the chance to use it, I'll tell you exactly what I think.

The point should never be to get people to buy something that we ourselves own, but rather to let them know from experience what they'd be buying.

Your purchase is separate from mine. It would be wrong for me convince you to buy something in order to reassure myself.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-24-2011 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Clarity of intent.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:55 PM   #12
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500

I am not sure such a patronising reply was necessary
Nobody is forcing anyone to purchase a particular cover. Just share our experience.

Anyway, what I said I had to say. It is very important for new owners. They come here and wonder what cover to buy. Usually they see topics about over hyped different covers and miss the original Sony completely. I firmly believe that a new owner should try Sony cover first, because I think its design is the best from the practical point of view.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #13
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post

I am not sure such a patronising reply was necessary
Nobody is forcing anyone to purchase a particular cover. Just share our experience.
Astra:

I didn't intend to make patronizing remarks about your posts or anyone else's. What I meant to do was make a mission statement: to explain why, when I receive the TMC case, I won't review it in a reflexively positive way just because I own it. If I seemed to suggest otherwise, or slighted you or anyone else in any way, then you have my apologies.

Quote:
It is very important for new owners. They come here and wonder what cover to buy. Usually they see topics about over hyped different covers and miss the original Sony completely.
This is exactly why my last post goes into great detail comparing different cases. Ideally, the new user should be able to understand, from clear descriptions, lists of features and user experiences, which case might suit their needs best -- particularly when official cases are becoming harder to find. This is esp. true for the PRS-650 in the U.S.

Your point shows why I feel it will be important to review the TMC case as objectively as possible after I receive it.

However, I should clarify my thoughts on your concern. I agree that cases can be overly hyped and more practical alternatives undermined. But I've seen that happen more often with the Kindle than Sony's latest-generation Readers.

Additionally, official Kindle covers seem to remain available at reasonable prices beyond the life of the device. But when I bought my Sony lighted cover on April 8, it was the last one in the last store in the chain in New York. The PRS-350 is still available right now, but the covers have not been in Best Buy, Borders, the Sony Store, or any of the other stores I checked.

Sadly, the official cover for the 650 has not been not available Stateside for a decent price in any of the places I've looked but eBay. The person who runs the eReader counter at the Borders in Penn Plaza told me that she herself owns the 650 and that it's her favorite reader, but that she'd had to buy a third-party case on Amazon because her store was always out of it.

This is another reason I think it's important to discuss every option.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-24-2011 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Clarity.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #14
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post

People who want cheaper options and a bracket-mounting case that actually closes should consider the cover by Proporta. A user on the Amazon product page claimed Proporta's leather isn't real, but others have said otherwise. I'd love to hear from a Mobile Read member who owns one.
It was Commonreader who first said it were leather and when I said the Proporta website states it as faux he said the 300 case used to be leather and the cases for the new X50's are faux leather.

So if anyone now buys a Proporta case for a Sony PRS-650 they will get faux (artificial) leather.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:13 PM   #15
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
BTW, I couldn't buy one of the covers in the photo. The stiches are not even and that would drive me nuts. Which only shows: I am nuts
Closed Thread