Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-18-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
mrzerga
Connoisseur
mrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the rough

Device: kindle 3 wifi - love it
3.0.3 Early Preview is here

same place as always:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200529700
3.03(536720111) is what your kindle should say after the update

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Before anyone asks: what changed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
For anyone reading this per NiLuJe's posts in another thread, if you plan to hack your Kindle, make sure you do so BEFORE you get the 3.0.3 update.
There's been other changes to the update script that prevents the same kind of workaround used in the K2 case, so, for now, no.

Also, just to make it clear: If you already had jailbroken your Kindle, it's still jailbroken after the 3.0.3 update, and all your hacks still work. The only thing broken is the *install* of the jailbreak on a *vanilla* 3.0.3 Kindle.

Quote:
Just a quick warning: The 3.0.3 update *breaks* the jailbreak method. So, if you intend to ever use any hack, jailbreak your kindle *before* doing the 3.0.3 update!

Also, usbnet users, I'll be posting an update very soon to workaround the 3.0.3 update. In order to make the hack work again, either do the usbnet update before installing 3.0.3, or reinstall usbnet after having installed the 3.0.3 update.

Last edited by mrzerga; 10-18-2010 at 05:22 PM.
mrzerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I wonder how they define "general performance improvements." With v3.0.2 I experience very fast page turns, no sunlight fading and smooth, fairly quick browser performance. Hmm...

Have you noticed any differences in performance?
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
mrzerga
Connoisseur
mrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
there are some unconfirmed reports that jailbreak is working fine..
Old 10-18-2010, 04:53 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It still works if it was installed before the update. But on a vanilla kindle, the install won't jailbreak a thing .
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
mrzerga
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I wonder how they define "general performance improvements." With v3.0.2 I experience very fast page turns, no sunlight fading and smooth, fairly quick browser performance. Hmm...

Have you noticed any differences in performance?
as good as before. maybe faster a notch? maybe not - no clue
Old 10-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quick question: Does the screengrab feature (SHIFT+ALT+G) look like it takes way much more time than on a K2, and actually freezes the Kindle for a few seconds to anyone, or is that just me? (Don't remember when I first noticed this, so it may have been there before the 3.0.2 update, but I do see this on both 3.0.2 & 3.0.3).
Old 10-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #8
Esquire1
Banned
Esquire1 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 wifi; PRS-500 (gone); iPad NOT for reading e-books ;)
I'll update mine. Whether I'll see any real world improvements, who knows. If I notice anything, I'll post. If not, I won't post
Esquire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Seems to me that my large tech ebooks open faster and page turns seems faster.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #10
mrzerga
Connoisseur

Quote:
Quick question: Does the screengrab feature (SHIFT+ALT+G) look like it takes way much more time than on a K2, and actually freezes the Kindle for a few seconds to anyone, or is that just me? (Don't remember when I first noticed this, so it may have been there before the 3.0.2 update, but I do see this on both 3.0.2 & 3.0.3).
its more or less instantaneous for me.(3.0.3) no messing/jailbreaks
Old 10-18-2010, 05:18 PM   #11
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Just a hypothetical question: does an European Kindle-owner with an US-adress, has to change back to the Eurpean(non-UK)adress for the update 3.0.3.? Just a thought.......
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:20 PM   #12
mrzerga
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
Just a hypothetical question: does an European Kindle-owner with an US-adress, has to change back to the Eurpean(non-UK)adress for the update 3.0.3.? Just a thought.......
i think it doesn't matter
Old 10-18-2010, 05:20 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzerga View Post
there are some unconfirmed reports that jailbreak is working fine..
I can confirm that I was able to update to 3.0.3 with the jailbreak and hacks already in place. The hacks were still in place and operational after the update.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:22 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
The serial number of your K3 is the only thing that matters. You have to use the correct version of the update based on your serial number (if you plan to update your Kindle yourself).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:23 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yep, it's just the *install* of the jailbreak on a vanilla Kindle that's broken/fixed .