Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
DecalGirl Skin Installation

I did a search but couldn't find anything about this. At some point I am hoping to be able to afford to get an eReader - leaning towards the Kindle 3, but things could change by the time I actually have $$ to spend. In the meantime, I have been doing research on "accessories" for readers such as covers, skins, book lights, etc.

Although I plan to get a cover as well, I think a skin would be added protection for the reader. I really like some of the skins I have seen on the DecalGirl site, www.decalgirl.com/ Would anyone who has actually purchased and installed a skin from this site please comment on how easy - or difficult - it was to install the skin? I am not known for my manual dexterity so please let me know how challenging it might be.

Edit: As soon as I posted this, after doing prior searches, I of course found this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=76551&page=2 which seems to indicate that putting the skins on isn't the easiest thing in the world, but maybe DecalGirl skins are easier to install??

Holly

Last edited by OakIris; 09-14-2010 at 01:34 PM.
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It's just as hard and as easy as precisely placing a sticker. Well, maybe a bit trickier for the front part, because the large hole for the screen doesn't help keeping the skin in shape while handling it, but it's really no such a big deal. You can practice with a large sticker, where you cut a big hole, and try to place it in a paper sheet where you have drawn a Kindle

It also depends on how picky you are. I know of someone who bought a skin for a different model and placed it partially covering the screen... and he doesn't seem to care about it, while it would drive me mad
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
Although I plan to get a cover as well, I think a skin would be added protection for the reader. I really like some of the skins I have seen on the DecalGirl site, www.decalgirl.com/ Would anyone who has actually purchased and installed a skin from this site please comment on how easy - or difficult - it was to install the skin? I am not known for my manual dexterity so please let me know how challenging it might be.
I have a decalgirl skin on my K2 and I've had multiple skins from them over the years for my phones and my Nintendo DSes. I don't think they provide any protection really. I suppose it does prevent the occasional scratch on the backside of it, but nothing more than that, and I'm not concerned with scratches on my equipment. I buy my skins solely to personalize the devices.

As for "installation" -- it's just a sticker, albeit a sturdy one. For the Kindles you'll want to start with the keyboard first, as that's the most difficult to line up. Line up the bottom row of keys first, then the rest basically falls into place. PROTIP: Leave as much of the sticker on the backing as you can, pulling it off as you're applying it. It's much easier to apply it if you don't have to support the entire floppy sticker. Take it an inch at a time off the backing as you're applying it.

Press it firmly as you move up the device to ensure no air bubbles. If you screw up, it does have some leniency for pulling it off and resticking it, though I would not recommend sticking the entire thing on and hoping it'll come off without stretching. But you can pull off the last inch or so and realign it.

EDITED UPDATE
Installed my two new skins today (one for my new K3 and a new one for my "old" K2 that my husband is inheriting).

Upon a fresh installation, I have minor modifications to make to my prior statement.

1. Remove the keyboard part of the sticker from the backing, punching out the key holes as you go. Remove the decal about halfway up the screen.
2. Leaving top part of decal on the backing, apply the decal to the keyboard. Be sure to press out any air bubbles.
3. Remove rest of decal from backing and carefully line it up along the screen edge. Press out air bubbles.

decalgirl has either increased their quality since I last ordered, or the "matte" version I ordered this time differs significantly from the "glossy" skins. I 'goofed' when applying the back decal to my K3; it's a tight fit to apply it and not have it interfere with the paging buttons. I applied the entire decal, but I didn't like the way it hit my left paging buttons. I was able to remove the ENTIRE decal, with no danger of stretching, and reapply it. You've always been able to "reposition" the decalgirl skins, but this is a significant improvement of the material (it didn't stretch at all) and the adhesive backing (it came off easily enough).

Last edited by queentess; 09-20-2010 at 06:46 PM.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
It also depends on how picky you are. I know of someone who bought a skin for a different model and placed it partially covering the screen... and he doesn't seem to care about it, while it would drive me mad
That would drive me mad, as well. I don't expect perfection, but certainly hope to avoid "partially covering the screen..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I have a decalgirl skin on my K2 and I've had multiple skins from them over the years for my phones and my Nintendo DSes. I don't think they provide any protection really. I suppose it does prevent the occasional scratch on the backside of it, but nothing more than that, and I'm not concerned with scratches on my equipment. I buy my skins solely to personalize the devices.
I guess I was under the impression that the skin would provide some protection from scratches, but like you, if I decide to get a skin, it will probably just be for personalization, too.
Quote:
PROTIP: Leave as much of the sticker on the backing as you can, pulling it off as you're applying it. It's much easier to apply it if you don't have to support the entire floppy sticker. Take it an inch at a time off the backing as you're applying it.
Thank you very much for the installation tips, queentess. If I have the money, perhaps I'll buy two of the skins just in case I manage to make some clumsy mistakes I can't live with! DecalGirl will replace a "part" of the decal if you really destroy it - you only have to pay for shipping - so that helps. Wonder if they'll replace the whole thing for only shipping charges....probably not.

Thank you both for your responses.

Holly
Old 09-14-2010, 10:03 PM   #5
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
I've got a DecalGirl skin on my Kindle2 and my Moto Droid. I found them surprisingly easy to put on. The first Kindle skin went on perfectly the first time. The second one, I didn't have it lined up right and had to pull it off and start over. The only issue with that was that it had stretched a little, so it was a little "big." After smoothing it down real good, it shrank back to its correct size and looks great.

I'd definitely buy from DecalGirl again, except that I really love the skins I have now and can't see myself changing anytime soon.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 04:13 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
I guess I was under the impression that the skin would provide some protection from scratches
In a way, it does. The device doesn't get scratched, the skin does

One of the things I like is that fingerprints are not so noticeable on the skin as they are on the black plastic casing.
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:29 AM   #7
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I've got a skin/case/screen protector for my nook through bundle monster, and yeah, it's kind of difficult to get everything lined up right to my taste anyway...but thankfully the skin is fully removable and won't leave residue.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:57 AM   #8
OakIris
Addict

I feel encouraged by your experiences - I think even I will manage to bumble through the installation with surprisingly good results.

Holly
Old 09-15-2010, 04:42 PM   #9
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
Just installed one on my K3. Worked like a charm. A very tiny bit big in the back though so I trim like 1mm off of it. The reason was because it was covering part of the page turn buttons on my side so I had to trim it to have it working properly. It might not bother other people but I am weird with stuff like that. Other than that it looks great and feels great. Now Britney (my K3) could really have a big come back.

Edit: I also have to peel it off a couple of time to line it up but it sticks back fine each time. So really easy to do.
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:20 AM   #10
JMyers
Enthusiast
JMyers began at the beginning.

Device: classic nook
I have installed skins from Decalgirl on 3 phones, a nook, an ipod, and a DS. All were slightly challenging. I think it would be helpful if there was a paper on the front of the decals to hold the shape while installing the decal. I found the most challenging was the nook front because of the cutouts from the screens. I had to reposition it a few times before I got it as close as possible then left it.
JMyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:32 AM   #11
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
I damaged a skin while putting it on my reader and decalgirl sent me a new skin for the cost of shipping. I love the skins though, I see all kinds of surface scrathces (after a few months) that I'm glad aren't all over my reader.
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:29 AM   #12
OakIris
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emonti8384 View Post
I damaged a skin while putting it on my reader and decalgirl sent me a new skin for the cost of shipping. I love the skins though, I see all kinds of surface scrathces (after a few months) that I'm glad aren't all over my reader.
Sounds as if DecalGirl has very good customer service, and their skins do indeed protect the reader from scratches. Thank you, emonti8384.

Thanks again to everyone for sharing your experiences with the skins. Now all I have to do is choose which one I want. I have it narrowed down to about 6 or 7 at this point, with plenty of time to change my mind yet again.

Holly
Old 09-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #13
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have a decalgirl skin on my K2 and I've had multiple skins from them over the years for my phones and my Nintendo DSes.
Updated my above post, but want to add this here to make sure everyone sees it.

Installed my two new skins today (one for my new K3 and a new one for my "old" K2 that my husband is inheriting).

Upon a fresh installation, I have minor modifications to make to my prior statement.

1. Remove the keyboard part of the sticker from the backing, punching out the key holes as you go. Remove the decal about halfway up the screen.
2. Leaving top part of decal on the backing, apply the decal to the keyboard. Be sure to press out any air bubbles.
3. Remove rest of decal from backing and carefully line it up along the screen edge. Press out air bubbles.

decalgirl has either increased their quality since I last ordered, or the "matte" version I ordered this time differs significantly from the "glossy" skins. I 'goofed' when applying the back decal to my K3; it's a tight fit to apply it and not have it interfere with the paging buttons. I applied the entire decal, but I didn't like the way it hit my left paging buttons. I was able to remove the ENTIRE decal, with no danger of stretching, and reapply it. You've always been able to "reposition" the decalgirl skins, but this is a significant improvement of the material (it didn't stretch at all) and the adhesive backing (it came off easily enough).
Old 09-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #14
queentess
Reading is sexy

Quote:
Now all I have to do is choose which one I want. I have it narrowed down to about 6 or 7 at this point, with plenty of time to change my mind yet again.

Holly
I got the Vintage Scarlet. I love it
Old 09-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #15
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I haven't gotten one for my Kindle yet, but I did just put my first one on my phone. It was easier than I had anticipated because I was able to reposition it, ahem, more than a couple of times. I wanted it just perfect. It reminds me of Colorforms -- anybody remember those? You can pretty much just peel it up and stick it back down, within reason.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote