Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: At the time you bought the harry potter ebooks did you
Own all the paper books 52 61.18%
Own some of the paper books 4 4.71%
Previously owned all the paper books 6 7.06%
Previously owned some of the paper books 4 4.71%
Had read but never owned any of the paper books (library/friend/download etc) 4 4.71%
Never read a harry potter book at all 11 12.94%
Other 4 4.71%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2012, 06:33 AM   #1
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Did you already own the HP paper back?

Just reading this in the guardian where they discuss a possible break down for the harry potter sales

Quote:
"Maybe 50% of these sales will come from the ex-reader market," estimated Denny. "Grown-up fans, who would have loved Potter as a child, read the books five or ten or 15 years ago, but maybe do not own copies of all the books in print. They'll have Kindles or other ereaders, have seen the books are online and will have thought they'll buy the books to dip into."
and it made me curious about those of you on here who have bought the ebooks. Straw poll time
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:39 AM   #2
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Never read a HP book, but since they was available at the library I have access too at release day I checked them out and will try to read at least one of them More if I like what I read. I don't have to great expectations though, but wouldn't mind being wrong!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:43 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have two sets of the paper books; one that I bought initially, and another set that I bought to compensate Ms. Rowling when I downloaded pirated versions of the eBooks. I've now bought the "legal" eBooks, so she's had my money three times in all .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I have all but one in HB, the other is in PB.

I don't rush out and buy the newest media just because it appears on the market (I still have Laser disc Movies, but buy my NEW movies in Bluray).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I had never owned or read the books when I bought the ebooks from Pottermore. I was waiting for them to come out as ebooks. I didn't want the pbooks. I wasn't going to pirate them either.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
No, but I do own the 1st and 2nd books in hardcover in the Latin & Ancient Greek translations.

I've never read beyond the 1st in (in English, from the library) as while it was an okay story, it just left me flat and the hype turns me off and anyway I feel quite familiar with the entire saga by watching the fandom implosions and drama that probably the actual books would be a letdown.

But I do like the way that Rowling is handling DRM, watermarking, and multi-store issues with the Pottermore setup so I might eventually one day get the e-books, if only so I have a handy copy to check my comprehension of the Latin & Ancient Greek versions against when I get around to reading them.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I have a full set of the hardbound, a couple of sets of the paperbacks and have given another set of paperbacks to my stepson.

I also have a full set of the dark side ebooks, and don't feel a bit guilty about it! JKR already has enough of my money.

Last edited by wodin; 04-06-2012 at 01:22 PM.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
I had the hardcovers but I gave them to my little brother when he became old enough to read them.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Missing an option there: I have NOT purchased any HP ebooks but I do own the complete series in paper (hard cover to be exact).
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Missing an option there: I have NOT purchased any HP ebooks but I do own the complete series in paper (hard cover to be exact).
I considered adding that as an option, however since the guardian article mentioned how they thought the breakdown of people who bought the ebooks was made up, I was only really interested in polling people who've bought the HP ebooks and whether they'd already read or owned (but perhaps not read) the paper books.

Mainly I was curious whether the 50% bit would hold up and judging by a very limited straw poll on here, it does seem reasonable
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #11
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Harry's situation should have been a separate option - "own both paperback and hardcover and silly enough to buy a third time".
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:08 AM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Same here. I have the complete Hard cover set plus "Quidditch through the ages" and "Fantastic Beasts" (in paperback) plus a copy of "The Tales of Beedle the Bard" in hard cover. No legal ebook copies though. Might buy some eventually.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:04 AM   #13
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I have a mix-and-match of the paper books: first two books in US paperback, three and four in UK paperback - all four I got used from a friend who was replacing his entire set with UK hardbacks; five and seven bought as brand new (pre-ordered) UK hardbacks (children's edition cover), six bought as brand new (pre-ordered) UK hardback (adult edition cover).

I also have the first four books in Estonian (bought brand new hardbacks) and the first book in German (bought brand new paperback).

I've had darknet versions of the ebooks for years (being actively part of the HP fandom, there was often a need to check something in the books and search worked a lot better in PDF copies than in paper books, oddly enough) although I never read them; they were strictly for research purposes.

Now that I've got the legal ebooks as well (bought the complete set on Pottermore) I might actually re-read them as ebooks.

ETA: I also have Quidditch through the Ages and Fantastic Beasts, both in Estonian, and I bought the Amazon exclusive limited edition of Beedle the Bard (think it was 99 euros or something like that) when that came out.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #14
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
Harry's situation should have been a separate option - "own both paperback and hardcover and silly enough to buy a third time".
LOL same here!!

And for how many books were you one of the geeks waiting in line at midnight to get your grubby little paws on the newest one? I got into it shortly after Goblet of Fire was released. A deceased relative left me her copies & I followed them ever since. I was there for midnight releases for each of them thereafter.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #15
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I actually own at least two copies of each book-- three of book 1 in both American and English versions.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote