Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > BBeB/LRF Books (offline)

Notices

Old 02-08-2009, 09:55 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Reynolds, Mack: Adaptation [illus]. v1. 08 Feb 09

Mack Reynolds was a well-known Sci-Fi writer during the 50s-70s. (Aside: When I was in my twenties/thirties, I met a man who had perhaps over one million dollars in pulps. Through him, (because he had so many duplicates) I once owned a pulp collection of over 3,000 titles: Astounding, Famous Fantastic Mysteries, Fantastic Novels, Magazine of Horror, Doc Savage, The Shadow, and an almost complete collection of Galaxy, IF, Space, and about 3 dozen other titles. I discovered - and read - all these great authors from the 50s-70s, and Mack Reynolds was among them.)

Getting back to this story: I don't remember it, but I know I owned a complete set of Asounding/Analog from about 1950-1980, and I'm sure I encountered this story. The cover certainly looks familiar.

Here's what the Wiki says:

Most of Reynolds' stories took place in Utopian societies, many of which fulfilled L. L. Zamenhof's dream of Esperanto used worldwide as a universal second language. His novels predicted many things which have come to pass, including pocket computers and a world-wide computer network with information available at one's fingertips.

Many of his novels were written within the context of a highly mobile society in which few people maintained a fixed residence, leading to "mobile voting" laws which allowed someone living out of the equivalent of a motor home to vote when and where they chose.

Every ten or so posts, I must caution you about the Wiki: When it comes to giving away spoilers, they are notorious for giving away too much information. Be careful when using the Wiki. In this case, however, there is no plot outline for the short novel.

This is fully illustrated. I'll be doing all of Mack Reynolds that's now available. I'll start the second one after I've had a second cup of coffee. Does that sound reasonable?

Like all the books I assemble on MobileRead, this too was assembled to reflect human intervention and artistic judgment.

I hope you enjoy it.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
This is fully illustrated. I'll be doing all of Mack Reynolds that's now available. I'll start the second one after I've had a second cup of coffee. Does that sound reasonable?
Why not do the next right away and drink your coffee later?
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Why not do the next right away and drink your coffee later?

I'm trying to think of something funny, and I can't!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:06 AM   #4
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I'm trying to think of something funny, and I can't!

Don
Got you!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:22 PM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Hardly had man solved his basic problems on the planet of his origin than he began to fumble into space. Barely a century had elapsed in the exploration of the Solar System than he began to grope for the stars.
And suddenly, with an all but religious zeal, mankind conceived its fantasy dream of populating the galaxy. Never in the history of the race had fervor reached such a peak and held so long. The question of why was seemingly ignored. Millions of Earth-type planets beckoned and with a lemming-like desperation humanity erupted into them.

OK, I'm hooked and I should be sorting papers and paying bills! Not to mention poor Athos, Porthos, Aramis AND Suter (Refuge) have to make room for Amschel Mayer!

Love your choices for us...
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert