Notices

Old 06-25-2010, 10:21 AM   #151
koffkoff
crane rider
koffkoff doesn't litterkoffkoff doesn't litter

Device: Nook Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Vivid! I've never read Sartre - but if the writing is this grand I may have to! Which English translation is this taken from koffkoff?

[Just said your handle out loud - ] [Welcome to MR]

That was one I cut and paste from the internet as I was initially lazy to type them out LOL.

The version that I have on paperback is Penguin Classics (translated by Robert Baldick) which has some slight variation

"For the moment it's the jazz that's playing; there's no melody, only notes, a host of little jolts. They know no rest, an unchanging order gives birth to them and destroys them, without ever giving them time to recover, to exist for themselves. They run, they hurry, they strike me with a sharp blow in passing and are obliterated. I should quite like to hold them back, but I know that if I managed to stop one, nothing would remain between my fingers but a vulgar, doleful sound. I must accept their death; I must even will it; I know few harsher or stronger impressions."

I remember reading Nausea somewhat 8 years ago. My current paperback is all yellowed. Not an easy read to me at that point of time, but my keen interest in existentialism got me through. I also highly recommend The Stranger by Albert Camus (he and Sartre were good friends). Simple words powerful impression.
koffkoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:42 AM   #152
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Thanks! I'll look them up this weekend!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2010, 08:09 AM   #153
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
.....Fascism is government by the few and for the few.
.....The United States also has its native Fascists who say they are “100 per cent American.”
..........— The United States Army. Army Orientation Fact Sheet 64 (March 23, 1945). Quoted in The Great Thoughts by George Seldes (1985, Introduction and a new compilation © 1996 by David Laskin).
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:16 AM   #154
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

.....He held out his glass, but they evidently didn't have that custom. She had a stranger one: she touched the surface of the wine with a fingertip and shook a drop off onto the floor.
.....She smiled at him. "My mother always did that. She said she promised her mother that she would never drink a drop of wine. That was the drop she never drank."
..........— Joe (William) Haldeman (1943 - ), American science fiction author. The Accidental Time Machine (2007).
Old 06-27-2010, 05:29 AM   #155
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
.....He held out his glass, but they evidently didn't have that custom. She had a stranger one: she touched the surface of the wine with a fingertip and shook a drop off onto the floor.
.....She smiled at him. "My mother always did that. She said she promised her mother that she would never drink a drop of wine. That was the drop she never drank."
..........— Joe (William) Haldeman (1943 - ), American science fiction author. The Accidental Time Machine (2007).
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #156
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not money, I am become as a sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not money, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not money, it profiteth me nothing. Money suffereth long, and is kind; money envieth not; money vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, doth not behave unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. . . . And now abideth faith, hope, money, these three; but the greatest of these is money."

I Corinthians xiii (adapted)

Keep the Aspidistra Flying by George Orwell
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:35 AM   #157
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

.....Some books against Deism fell into my hands; they were said to be the substance of sermons preached at Boyle's Lectures. It happened that they wrought an effect on me quite contrary to what was intended by them; for the arguments of the Deists, which were quoted to be refuted, appeared to me much stronger than the refutations; in short, I soon became a thorough Deist. My arguments perverted some others, particularly Collins and Ralph; but, each of them having afterwards wrong'd me greatly without the least compunction, and recollecting Keith's conduct towards me (who was another freethinker), and my own towards Vernon and Miss Read, which at times gave me great trouble, I began to suspect that this doctrine, tho' it might be true, was not very useful.
..........— Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790), American scientist, diplomat, publisher. The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin (published posthumously).
Old 06-30-2010, 09:04 AM   #158
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

.....One culture after another is still running amok and men are still murdering one another in the belief that it is not they but their neighbors who are evil.
..........— Sir Laurens Van der Post (1906 - 1996), South African author, farmer, educator, journalist, humanitarian, philosopher, explorer, conservationist. Quoted in Helen Buss Mitchell, Roots of Wisdom: Speaking the Language of Philosophy (Wadsworth 1996), p. 146.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:13 AM   #159
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

.....A ioyfull heart causeth good health: but a sorowfull minde dryeth the bones.
..........Geneva Bible (1599), Proverbs 17:22.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:45 AM   #160
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you Tom for all your wonderful Quotes!
Old 07-02-2010, 09:39 AM   #161
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

My, how times change…

.....The libraries were augmented by donations; reading became fashionable; and our people, having no publick amusements to divert their attention from study, became better acquainted with books, and in a few years were observ'd by strangers to be better instructed and more intelligent than people of the same rank generally are in other countries.
..........— Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790), American scientist, diplomat, publisher. The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin (published posthumously).
Old 07-03-2010, 09:01 AM   #162
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
A classic is a book that has never finished saying what it has to say.
—Italo Calvino, ‘‘Why Read the Classics?’’ (1981), translated by Patrick Creagh (1987)
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #163
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
—Italo Calvino, ‘‘Why Read the Classics?’’ (1981), translated by Patrick Creagh (1987)
We need to use that definition the next time the book club Classics month rolls around.

Of course if we did, Jon would still nominate DiscWorld.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #164
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Excellent quote!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
We need to use that definition the next time the book club Classics month rolls around. ...
Indeed we do. A better definition of a classic I've never seen!
Old 07-03-2010, 12:04 PM   #165
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

.....Deos fortioribus adesse. ("The gods are on the side of the stronger.")
..........— Cornelius Tacitus (c. 55-117 C.E.), Roman historian. Histories (c. 115-116), Book IV, 17.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 07-03-2010 at 12:17 PM.