Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-08-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
swimr29
swimr29 began at the beginning.

Device: none
newbie with a question for the experts

Hello, looks like a great site, and I was hoping to get some help with a few questions that i have.

i'm a highschool junior and have to annotate (highlight/make notes in text)
in a lot of books.
i recently started looking into ebook readers, especially the kindle. However, since i am going to be needing a laptop for school soon, i was looking at a kindle application for the new windows7 instead. it seems great, with a touch screen (? i think) and all, but i was wondering if anyone knows whether or not it will allow me to make annotations on the computer itself, or if i need to also own a kindle in order to do that. i know that on the kindle i can highlight and make notes, but can i do that with just the windows7 program as well?

thanks in advance!
swimr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Well, it's not out yet so nobody can confirm 100% but I couldn't imagine the PC app not having that feature.
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2009, 10:37 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Windows Kindle application will work with XP and Vista as well. It is optimized for Windows 7, which has touch support that isn't in XP. However, that depends on your computer having a touch screen.

Since the Kindle uses its keyboard for adding annotations, this will presumably also work with the Windows Kindle app.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:42 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The Windows Kindle application will work with XP and Vista as well. It is optimized for Windows 7, which has touch support that isn't in XP. However, that depends on your computer having a touch screen.
I don't think so. Jump lists and other Win7 UI features work with a mouse just as well as with a touch screen. You do not NEED a touch screen to use jump lists.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:42 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What are "jump lists", Bob?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2009, 10:13 AM   #6
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A jump list is an application-specific menu which you access from the application's button on the taskbar. So, for FireFox, for instance, the jump list might include options for reloading the page, bookmarking the page, view page source, and so on.

(Sorry for butting in, but I don't often see a technical question here that I can answer.)

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:16 AM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A jump list is a menu that you access from an apps icon in the task bar. It is up to the app to implement them and as to what it shows.

For example, it IE shows some of the most recent history. For work I think recent documents and there might be a "new document" too.

If you have a touch screen you can make an upward swipe motion on a task bar icon which will display the jump list.

There was a Kindle PC app demo video and the jump list showed recently accessed ebooks that you could jump to among other things.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:34 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thank you. Sounds useful! I've not yet actually seen Windows 7 "for real".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote