Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-29-2009, 04:06 AM   #1
Adamastorx
Connoisseur
Adamastorx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
New kindle: ghosting

I received my Kindle yesterday. I've fully charged it using the provided cord with a US-Europe adaptor. I took me about 3 hours. I used the Kindle for reading and tried it out a bit, putting books on it, getting to know the menus and the available options... At night I turned it off and notice remains of the main menu, where you choose your books... I read about doing "alt+g", but it's still there... I restarted the device twice... I can't see while I'm reading, just in some pictures, like the welcome screen when you power on your device - I see parts of text in the back.

Any advice? Is this normal or this means I've got a defective device?

Thanks.
Adamastorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
If alt+g isn't clearing your screen, contact Amazon CS - you may have a defective screen.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2009, 11:10 AM   #3
Adamastorx
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
If alt+g isn't clearing your screen, contact Amazon CS - you may have a defective screen.
Thanks. I'll try it out a bit more. Now there's less text and only when the power is turned off.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:15 AM   #4
Adamastorx
Connoisseur

I now get this ghosting when the Kindle is turned off.
I see a line above a couple more below... It's from de main Menu. I contacted Customer Service and they said that it's normal, inherent to e-ink, but it if got worse to contact them again...

Anyone? Is it normal to have this "ghosts" with the Kindle turned off?

Last edited by Adamastorx; 10-30-2009 at 10:42 AM. Reason: I'm uploading a foto
Old 10-30-2009, 10:49 AM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I've seen it - esp. after having a screen saver with a lot of dark areas in it on the screen - before turning the kindle off. Turning it back on & doing alt-g clears it up for me.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2009, 11:08 AM   #6
Adamastorx
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I've seen it - esp. after having a screen saver with a lot of dark areas in it on the screen - before turning the kindle off. Turning it back on & doing alt-g clears it up for me.
Thanks. I wrote again to CS and sent the photo just to be sure. If its normal and inherent to e-ink, perfect. Otherwise, I would have to send my Kindle back to the USA.
I'm worried just because I had a Hanlin V3 for 8 days just for testing and I never saw these faded lines.

Last edited by Adamastorx; 10-30-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:42 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That looks perfectly normal to me. Any eInk screen shows a certain level of ghosting.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:59 PM   #8
Adamastorx
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That looks perfectly normal to me. Any eInk screen shows a certain level of ghosting.
Thanks, I was worried because in 8 day I never noticed something like this in el Hanlin V3.
The Customer Service told it was normal, but on my second mail with the photo they told me to call them. Anyway, I think I'll give it a rest, because the Kindle is performing fine.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:35 PM   #9
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
I don't think turning off your Kindle is particularly normal. The whole point of e-ink is it doesn't waste energy to leave it on, just like you don't turn off regular books. Only leaving on wireless might waste some energy. So you shouldn't notice the ghosting!
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #10
Adamastorx
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I don't think turning off your Kindle is particularly normal. The whole point of e-ink is it doesn't waste energy to leave it on, just like you don't turn off regular books. Only leaving on wireless might waste some energy. So you shouldn't notice the ghosting!

What do you mean? That there is no need in turning off the Kinder? Maybe there isn't. Lately I keep it on with the sreen saver activated.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:56 PM   #11
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You know... that is what I also hear but I never encountered any ghosting with my 505. It may have been since the screen saver was a blank screen though
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:39 PM   #12
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamastorx View Post
What do you mean? That there is no need in turning off the Kinder? Maybe there isn't. Lately I keep it on with the sreen saver activated.
Yes, I never turn my Kindle off unless it has some kind of glitch and i need to do the Kindle version of rebooting, which is the magic answer to the majority off computer problems on any computer, sort of starting life over again (I wish I could do that with myself...without dying, of course.)
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:09 PM   #13
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamastorx View Post
That is all you really need to do. When you put it to sleep all it does it put on that screen saver picture and keeps the buttons from doing anything
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:47 AM   #14
dwallbaum
Zealot
dwallbaum has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle2
There was a tech blog I read a while back in which a Kindle was deconstructed to see what was inside.

Even when the entire reader was diassembled and the power removed from the system, the screen was still displaying its content.

I don't know how long the screen remained "active" bukt it was an impressive indication of how little power eInk passively draws.
dwallbaum is offline   Reply With Quote