Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-08-2015, 02:32 PM   #31
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I think it's pretty sad that B&N isn't there as a serious competitor to Amazon. At least Kobo is hanging in.

I use Amazon a lot. I have a Prime account because I live in a rural area and I don't have a car so I'm pretty dependent on them. And they're easy to depend on. They make my life a lot easier.

Still, for a corporation to have that much influence on our lives is more than a little bit scary and it seems they're just getting started. It's fortunate that they see happy customers as so important and I think the odds of that staying true are much greater as long as they have competition.

The real danger comes when they no longer have competition. When B&N and Kobo fade away; when Amazon has bought out Walmart, or when Jeff Bezos leaves Amazon to become king of the world, we're in trouble.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:59 PM   #32
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Amazing hardware though. Still using a rooted Nook ST. Most stable e-ink device I've ever owned.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2015, 07:50 PM   #33
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I don't have a Nook e-ink reader. I ordered a Nook Simple Touch when they first came out and I was bothered by having to register it and give my credit card just to get past the setup. That bothered me for a few days till I returned it.

I already had an Amazon account so I didn't notice that I had to do that with my first Kindle. Actually I had a B&N account too but it had been so many years that my credit card expired.

Anyway I've wondered ever since if I made the right choice. I remember really liking that thing.

I have 2 Nook HD's and 2 Nook HD+'s that I use mostly for videos and a few games. They're excellent devices for that and they cost very little for tablets with their specs. I'm sorry they'll be going away although good specs and low prices are becoming more common now.

I think probably Nooks are worthwhile devices and I'm sorry they're going away.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:17 AM   #34
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
You didn't need to enter a credit card. You register for an account on the web page (no cc req.) then use that. I found that out by checking on this site.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:18 AM   #35
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
Did anyone else get this?
No. But I hope they really are coming out with a new e-Ink reader. Choice is always good.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2015, 09:54 PM   #36
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I didn't get any survey. And I get quite a few of them through their Kids Club. But I no longer own a Nook device (just the iOS apps), so maybe my account was skipped.

I haven't logged into the B&N web site since maybe January, and my account is still screwed up. On the main screen it shows I have 564 books, but when I go into My Library, it says I have 0. No one responded to my support contact. Shocker, I know.

Good thing I downloaded the last few purchases last fall using the script shared here. Not sure what to do with the B&N gift cards I keep getting as gifts - probably keep using them on paper books for the kids, or Doctor Who merchandise. Amazon has gotten my few ebook purchases. Most of my reading has been library or working through the big TBR pile I amassed in the Fictionwise days.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:08 PM   #37
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I gave up on B&N after they started removing the ability to download epubs, I immediately de-DRM books when I buy them. Honestly I hate buying DRM'd content as it is.

Still, what purchases I make I've moved over to Amazon. In a way, I feel like this is HD-DVD all over again. Like HD-DVD, I prefered B&N's lesser DRM, epub being a standard everyone but Amazon can use, but instead, the market splintered further and B&N ate Fictionwise (kepub at Kobo, for example) leaving, practically, not a lot of players using epub left. It's pretty clear Amazon has a huge majority of the market.

I'll be picking up a Kindle Voyage at some point, at least they have physical buttons (if the price on the Voyage ever drops from its ridiculously high pricepoint). Even there they listened to their users, a little bit, unlike B&N.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 06-11-2015 at 08:13 PM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:51 PM   #38
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I've always wondered what would happen to any business model such as B&N and all the issues they are having, and simply hired one of us to come and help them.

What that accelerate the business's collapse, or possibly save them?
Depends if the person they hired wants to help or just to see B&N burn for their sins.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:10 AM   #39
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I didn't get the survey, but the Nook HD+ was definitely my last purchase in the brand. It was a great value for the money, but the more expensive and lower definition Samsung tablets that followed really soured me on the brand. As for books, I read them on my Kindle, the HD+ is for comics (in an app from a company owned by Amazon).
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:46 PM   #40
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
I'm still single handedly trying to keep B&N in business. I still download all my Nook books to the PC and then Crack them.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:55 AM   #41
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfry View Post
I'm still single handedly trying to keep B&N in business. I still download all my Nook books to the PC and then Crack them.
Do tell...

How are you downloading them? (Via NOOK for PC? NOOKStudy? A browser plugin with which to download books one by one? Another method?)
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:48 PM   #42
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Do tell...

How are you downloading them? (Via NOOK for PC? NOOKStudy? A browser plugin with which to download books one by one? Another method?)
Nook for PC, Greasemokey and Tampermonkey.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:22 PM   #43
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfry View Post
Nook for PC, Greasemokey and Tampermonkey.
Nook for PC works for now, right? But since it's unsupported, no guarantees how long it'll keep working.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:09 PM   #44
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Nook for PC works for now, right? But since it's unsupported, no guarantees how long it'll keep working.
As has been discussed at length in the MobileRead and NOOK forums, NOOK for PC (and NOOKStudy) work for now for some members, but not for others. I fall in the latter camp.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:48 PM   #45
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I haven't been able to strip DRM from my Nook books since I updated my credit card info. At that point, I stopped buying books from them. Ironically, I buy books from Amazon, Alf and convert them to ePub and read 'em on my Nook ST with Glowlight.

But I love the hardware. If they rolled out a new reader that was more like the ST and less like the current Nook Glowlight, I'd probably still buy it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote