Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-03-2015, 05:45 PM   #16
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Condolences. I clearly was lucky; I must have stumbled on it right after it was listed, because the number skyrocketed quickly.

As an aside, I wish Philly hadn't gone back to a three-week checkout period. It really drags out a waiting list. I have nothing to back it up, but my sense is that most people let their books expire, rather than returning them once read. I hope I'm wrong.

Another thing that could help is that at least for my local [Wisconsin] ebook library the default is checkout as soon as it becomes available. As opposed to email sent and then a three day waiting period during which the book may be checked out as the must opt in alternate.

Last edited by Hamlet53; 05-03-2015 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:21 PM   #17
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4003 View Post
I emailed the Philadelphia Library about no new additions and here's the response I got:
Hello,
Thank you for your email. You are correct. We have added fewer titles than usual to our Overdrive collection in the past few weeks. Our priorities for licensing ebooks are to fill holds for people who are already on the waiting list for particular ebooks and then to add new best sellers to our collections. However, as the our fiscal year comes to a close we have had to adjust our purchasing for the library's limited budget. We hope to begin adding new titles soon as our budget allows. In the slightly longer term, our purchasing will return to normal when our new budget year begins on 7/1/2015.
Also, in the meantime, please also take a look at our Freeding collection of ebooks. Here you'll find titles that are not available in Overdrive. Also, if you are a fan of audio books, take a look at Hoopla and OneClick Digital. You'll find links to our Freading, Hoopla, and OneClick sites on our Digital Media page: http://search.freelibrary.org/digitalmedia.cfm
I hope this information is helpful to you. Thank you,
Jamie
Free Library of Philadelphia
Alrighty, July 7 and I still see no new books.

It might be the categories I check first, history and literature, but given that they seem to have a broad definition of literature, that doesn't seem likely. I really expected to be inundated with new titles by now.

Yes, I know I have plenty to read, I just want more. Is that so hard to understand?

Seriously, I just hope that fiscal woes haven't affected their planned purchase of Go Set a Watchman. I got such a great position on the Philly hold list (#2), that I didn't bother to get on the list at any of my other libraries.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2015, 03:42 PM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Alrighty, July 7 and I still see no new books.

It might be the categories I check first, history and literature, but given that they seem to have a broad definition of literature, that doesn't seem likely.
I don't know, but if I do an advanced search and tell it to show me all new eBooks added in the last 7 days I get a result with 348 new titles. If that search is expanded to 30 days it finds only two additional titles so perhaps they're just getting back to buying new books.

http://freelibrary.lib.overdrive.com...rtBy=Relevancy

Last edited by AnemicOak; 07-07-2015 at 03:45 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:57 PM   #19
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I don't know, but if I do an advanced search and tell it to show me all new eBooks added in the last 7 days I get a result with 348 new titles. If that search is expanded to 30 days it finds only two additional titles so perhaps they're just getting back to buying new books.

Yes, they added the first books as soon as it turned July. I even got an email on the 1. since they added a book I'd recommended.

Last edited by tilia; 07-07-2015 at 04:00 PM.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:58 PM   #20
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:

Thank you for the tip. I went back and did a search for seven days and indeed, I got 11 results in history. Nothing I'd be remotely interested in reading, however, so I suspect my eye just glanced over them when I searched by most recent. My error of course.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2015, 04:02 PM   #21
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:

That link leads to an error page, because it is for a generated search that expired. This link should be the same one, except it is the URL which generates the query: http://freelibrary.lib.overdrive.com...CollDate=%3E*7
(the "7" at the end is the number of days. Only English ebooks will be selected.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote