Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
itisbomb
Addict
itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 4
Buy nook book using Canadian credit card?

I ran into a problem trying to buy a nook book (Black Prism by Brent Week) from B&N.

I have a relative living in Canada. She is willing to buy a nook book for me. I put my name as an B&N account owner. My relative put her credit card details (card number, her name as appears on the card) as a default payment.

First, I put a US address as a billing address. (The same address as shipping address). The transaction failed miserably. I got a message that my order could not be processed. I also got an email from B&N that buyers of nook book have to be a resident of USA or Canada only. I guess that the problem came from the billing address did not match the actual card's registered address.

So I changed the billing address to Canadian address. This time it got better. But I still could not buy the book. When I press "BUY" button, I was told that such book was available in USA only.

Is there a trick to solve this problem? If not, how can I know which books are also available to a Canadian buyer, not just a US buyer.

I would really appreciate any suggestion.
itisbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
You need a B&N account with any valid US address. Google something like a hotel.
Connect using a VPN. Tunnelbear is free and very easy to use.
Pay with credit card. You can use any credit card.

Edit: I don't think the name and address of credit card matters. A VPN is probably what is needed.

Last edited by Fbone; 04-27-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
itisbomb
Addict
itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for suggestion.

I forgot to tell that I used VPN all the time during my visit to B&N. I also put an US address as an accout address.

I still could not buy Black Prism from B&N
Old 04-28-2013, 02:28 AM   #4
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The billing address on the credit card was the same as your US account?

Added: Clear cookies.

Last edited by Fbone; 04-28-2013 at 02:30 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:08 AM   #5
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
When the VPN is active, use the showip.net website to check if an US address can be determined (US city and state).
With Tunnelbear I sometimes get an IP-address for which no US address can be determined.

If your B&N account is registered with an US shipping and billing address, and showip.net shows an US address when the VPN is active, than you should be able to buy ebooks from B&N.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #6
itisbomb
Addict

Thank you all, especially Fbone.

Deleting cookies was what I needed. I can now purchase ebooks from B&N.

Just wish I could have figured the solution out sooner. My ignorance just caused me to miss 50% off on Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

I hope the Bujold goes on sale again.