Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-25-2014, 09:10 PM   #1
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
Is there a reason I cannot fully delete books...

...from my device? The other day my PW1 updated. I like a lot about the update but I am unable to fully delete the books I want off the device. The books are grayed out but still there. Am I missing something?
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:28 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
That is the new Cloud Collections feature. Enjoy the new firmware, HAHAHAHAHA!!!!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2014, 09:30 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Basically, a lot of people seem to dislike the new PW1/2 post-5.4.0 firmware because of all kinds of things to do with Cloud Collections, including this. I just give Thanks that I still have my trusty Kindle Touch.

What you are seeing is all the books in your Kindle Cloud that are in a collection but not on the device. Amazon decided to overlap Cloud (formerly Archive) view and show you a bunch of useless entries that if you wanted you would've downloaded the book.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:33 PM   #4
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh man. That's *really* obnoxious. If I remove the books from my cloud will they then be removed from the device?
Old 05-25-2014, 09:39 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeighs View Post
Oh man. That's *really* obnoxious. If I remove the books from my cloud will they then be removed from the device?
See update to previous post.

I wouldn't delete purchases from your Amazon account (Personal Documents service is alright though ) just to fix this...

Some people have worked around this by resigning themselves to not using collections at all. Dunno if you want that.
Advert
Old 05-25-2014, 09:50 PM   #6
JLeighs
Addict

Ah, I see. I think what I will do then is just create a collection for books I want to delete and then move them there before deleting.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:56 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeighs View Post
Ah, I see. I think what I will do then is just create a collection for books I want to delete and then move them there before deleting.
Books can be in more than one collection at a time. But you can simply remove them from all collections before deleting. This of course would make collections a great hassle, but, if you want to spend that time... and negate the purpose of Cloud Collections ( Amazon)!
Old 05-26-2014, 08:05 AM   #8
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
My way around this feature is to use the Favorites option and only have those collections showing on my home page that have just the books in them on my device.

I do most of my Collections adjustments on the Cloud where I make sure all books are in at least one collection. It took me a few weeks to get my @4400 books into collections but with the help of Calibre and patience I can finally "live" with the CC but they were a major pain in the ass to get up and running the way I wanted.

And though escwartz suggesed it, not using the collections was not an option. I have way to many books not to use them. Even if I wanted to delete the library borrows from my library, my Amazon purchases alone number around 2500.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:43 AM   #9
JLeighs
Addict

Thanks for all the tips and information! I really appreciate it.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:19 PM   #10
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Instead of downloading books via wifi, go to the Amazon site on your pc and choose the option to 'transfer via usb'. The book will then download to your computer where you can store it until you want to read it, at which time you can just transfer it to your kindle by plugging the kindle into a usb port, going to 'my computer' find the kindle and open it, then move the book into the file named 'documents' within the kindle drive.

That way you don't have 100's of books on your reader.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I use collections to see all books of a certain category so of course I want to see the books that are not on the device also.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:43 PM   #12
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I use collections to see all books of a certain category so of course I want to see the books that are not on the device also.
When I am in the Cloud view, this is exactly what I want to see. When I am in device view, the only ones I want to see are the ones that are actually on the device. Otherwise, what is the point of having the two separate view types.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:15 PM   #13
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
When you see a title that is greyed out, press and hold, then when the options come up, select Add to Collection, then make sure is it NOT in any Collection. Then it'll be gone from your Home screen
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:44 PM   #14
JLeighs
Addict

I generally don't re-read books. There are a few exceptions, but for the most part when I'm done reading a book, I want it off my device unless I'm putting it in my collection for authors I'd like to read more. Thanks again for all of the information!
Old 05-27-2014, 07:20 AM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
When I am in the Cloud view, this is exactly what I want to see. When I am in device view, the only ones I want to see are the ones that are actually on the device. Otherwise, what is the point of having the two separate view types.
Aha, it works that way. When I started to use collections I downloaded more books to the device so the device view became not so useful for me. So I started to use only the collection view.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote