Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
Rizphil
Rizphil began at the beginning.

Device: ibook
Formatting in Sigil

Greetings all.
I'm trying my hand at writing my own ebook using Sigil, however I'm having trouble formatting it the way I'd like. Specifically, I do not want any spacing between paragraphs, and after the first paragraph, I would like an indent just like you see in a paperback book. Every time I begin an new paragraph, Sigil creates a blank line and the new paragraph is once again left aligned.
I've opened other Sigil ebooks which are formatted the way I want mine to look, and cut and pasted some of the code in the code view to my book, but still no luck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Rizphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Brush up on CSS. You're seeing the default style for paragraphs.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizphil View Post
Specifically, I do not want any spacing between paragraphs, and after the first paragraph, I would like an indent just like you see in a paperback book. Thanks
Put the following code in the <head> section of you html-file:

<style type="text/css">
/*<![CDATA[*/
p { margin: 0 0; text-indent: 1em; text-align: justify; }
/*]]>*/
</style>

Every paragraph (including the first one) will use this. It will have a small indent and there will be no space between paragraphs.

Did this get you a bit closer to the formatting you want ?
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
Keroberos
Zealot
Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini (4GB), Nook Classic wi-fi, iPod Touch (Bluefire Reader)
A good place to check out for learning CSS is the w3school site.
Keroberos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:39 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmat1 View Post
Put the following code in the <head> section of you html-file:

<style type="text/css">
/*<![CDATA[*/
p { margin: 0 0; text-indent: 1em; text-align: justify; }
/*]]>*/
</style>

Every paragraph (including the first one) will use this. It will have a small indent and there will be no space between paragraphs.

Did this get you a bit closer to the formatting you want ?
Although fine in general, I would really recommend not doing this in an internal stylesheet, but rather a external. It makes formatting a lot more predictable and repeatable. It also saves size and makes it easier maintainable.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert