Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 06:49 AM   #16
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Also I'd like to know why you scored the Tab so low.
I've thought about the scale for comparison.
German school system ranks from 1 (best) to 6 (worst).
6.5 of 10 for Galaxy Tab equals something like "2-" (or maybe "3+") in school. I think that's a realistic picture (for my personal demands).
And over all, heavily considering the availability of software, I rank iPad slightly higher.
But I'm not sure, which one I would choose when having to decide for one of the two. For the last 2 months, I didn't use iPad at all. Of course, part of this was due to the "new" factor of Galaxy Tab.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:36 AM   #17
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

iOS vs. Android (Part 2)

Display Quality:
I've read some devastating reviews about Galaxy Tab. I can't confirm these reviews at all. I find the colors equally vibrant and the glare about the same.
BUT: I find the surface of both displays slightly different. I've read somewhere, Apple is using a special varnish, to reduce fingerprints. Well, I can't confirm re. fingerprints. It's the same on both. But I've got the feeling, the iPad surface is somewhat "smoother". Sometimes, when scrolling/flicking through webpages for example, I kind of "stick" to the display of Galaxy Tab. It's no biggy, but iPad seems slightly more responsive and smoother.

Portability:
I wouldn't use this as a criteria. Some prefer mobility, others prefer screen estate. Personally, I take Galaxy Tab permanently with me. It perfectly fits in my coat pocket (I've used the Sony 600 pouch, since Monday I'm using a TuffLuv 6.2" neopren sleeve). iPad to me is way too bulky. I take it on trips in my laptop bag, but I wouldn't call it a "mobile" unit.

Battery:
Coming from high-end notebooks (usually about 5 hours of battery life), I'm more than fine with both. iPad for me does about 8 to 10 hours, Galaxy Tab maybe 7 hours.
Some recommend, turning WiFi and other battery hogs off. That's no option for me, I'm using tablets mainly because of those features.

Buttons:
I absolutely hate the physical home button on iPad/iPhone.
It's helpful, having a physical button. But I simply don't like the mechanics. And I'm sceptical about its durability, when using it heavily for multi-tasking.
I very much prefer the capacitive buttons on Android units. And I prefer, having more than 1 button. On Samsung Galaxy Tab, there even is a context sensitive "search" button. Depending on the app you're in, it either starts Google or the search window of the respective app.
I love the menu button. Entering any app's menu with the very same button, whereas on iPad I'm sometimes searching for the menu.
But: Having no physical buttons on Android isn't perfect either. When any application is hanging, the capacitive buttons sometimes are blocked for a few seconds. On iPad, the physical button is working all the time, whatever might be blocking the OS.

Multi-Tasking:
A huge plus for Android.
On iPad (or did I miss something?), you can't choose. Per se, each application goes into the background and is multi-tasking.
On Android, I decide which button to press: Close the app or multi-task.
On iPad I have to double-click the physical home button, to see all the active apps. On Galaxy Tab, I just open the app "Task Manager" and see all the open apps and processes.

Boot-Time/Startup-Time
Both take about the same time to start.
But: Galaxy Tab is doing a media scan every time it's turned on. Probably due to the SD card. I hate that. It should know, whether I've taken out the card and manually did copy some media files or not. On the other hand, you can't use any SD card on iPad, so it's somewhat unfair to nag.

Expansion:
Galaxy Tab is using standard Micro-SDs. You easily can reach/change them, you don't have to fumble with the battery or something like that.
You can expand iPad with a harddisk via the official camera kit. But who would want to add an external harddisk to a tablet? So, basically iPad can't be expanded.

UI:
Very often I read, Android 2.2 wouldn't be ready for tablets yet. I don't agree. I find the UI and OS quite similar to iPad. There even are some advantages, like alternative keyboards.
Over all, both UIs/OS have their advantages and disadvantages.
iPad seems more stylish, easier to use and more polished. Android on the other hand is more open, allows for more tweaks and allows for more manipulations by the user.

Last edited by mgmueller; 12-30-2010 at 07:43 AM.
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 08:32 AM   #18
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
In my line of work proprietary is a curse word you have to be compatible with everyone else in order for us IT folks to be interested in it. At the moment my IT pals are concerned about all Apple products becuase they have a tendency to be proprietary and therefore my IT pals have turned their backs on apple. To what extent can an ipad read and run applications (apps) that were written for other platforms such as Windows, Android, Crome and Linux? They are also a rather taken back by the etraordinarliy high price tag on apple products.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:52 AM   #19
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
In my line of work proprietary is a curse word you have to be compatible with everyone else in order for us IT folks to be interested in it. At the moment my IT pals are concerned about all Apple products becuase they have a tendency to be proprietary and therefore my IT pals have turned their backs on apple. To what extent can an ipad read and run applications (apps) that were written for other platforms such as Windows, Android, Crome and Linux? They are also a rather taken back by the etraordinarliy high price tag on apple products.
Those certainly are lots of arguments towards Android.
On the other hand, a friend of mine is somewhat frustrated with his new Galaxy Tab.
When I explain to him about the app "Spare Parts" for full screen or other tricks like that, it's just too much for him. To him, the openness of Android and its high configurability isn't any advantage. To him, an easy going Apple solution "out of the box" probably would be more convenient.
I'll help him and in 2 weeks he definitely will be happy about his Galaxy Tab.
But one shouldn't underestimate the benefits of Apple for many users:
Closed = safe
Proprietary = highly standardised for that specific plattform
Personally, I guess Apple will take the Microsoft way. There's already lots of aggression towards Apple. And Steve Jobs' arrogance ('7" tablets are DOA') certainly doesn't help.
If Apple should increase their market share, at some stage they'll experience legal actions like Microsoft did before.

BTW: I really admire Google's business model. All their services, perfectly interlinked to each other...

Last edited by mgmueller; 12-30-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:59 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
To what extent can an ipad read and run applications (apps) that were written for other platforms such as Windows, Android, Crome and Linux?
To the same extent that a Windows app will run on Android, or an Android app on Linux - ie, not at all. Cross-o/s application execution is rarely a goal for application development.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 09:36 AM   #21
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
But: Having no physical buttons on Android isn't perfect either. When any application is hanging, the capacitive buttons sometimes are blocked for a few seconds.
I thought that all Android devices also had a physical "Home" button? My HTC Desire has one and I have seen multiple mentions of the physical "Home" button on Android forums.
Anyway, I have had a chance to see it's usefulness on some of the early CoolReader 3 for Android releases. Some of those early versions of CoolReader would hang on opening a book, and the touch screen controls would become unresponsive. I just had to tap the physical "Home" button to get back the central window and then use Advanced Task Manager to kill the runaway CoolReader 3 application.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:46 AM   #22
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
BTW: I really admire Google's business model. All their services, perfectly interlinked to each other...
Sure, but what use is it, when it does not work ? This may not happen with the Galaxy, but the web is full of android clients complaints about not properly accessing the market although their device has an official access to it. Or not being able to have 2 Gmail accounts on their phone (which is no problem at all with the iphone). This is laughable, really...And the Google customer service answers to those complaints is pathetic.

I am really not a big fan of closed system, but the iOS works and is very stable. Android crashed on me more than once (I was playing with it indeed, but what is the point of an open system if you are not supposed to tweak it ?). And I was not biased when I bought my Android device, I really knew the limits, and I also know that my device (Pocketbook IQ) cannot do much, but reading what other users say about Android on various forums made me realize that Android is just not there yet, and might not be for a while.

I am waiting for the ipad to be back in the shops near me (it is out of stock right now) but it does look like I am taking the plunge.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:50 AM   #23
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I guess the review does not indicate why the Tab scored so low and the iPad scored better, can you elaborate?
You're right. Personally I prefer Galaxy Tab over iPad. But that's just because of the form factor. And, quite contrary to Steve Jobs, I wouldn't count this (= display size) as an argument. For many users, this kind of mobility simply won't matter.
If I leave my personal usage pattern aside (which permanently changes anyway. For example I'll travel more frequently after the holidays, then mobility becomes more important again), iPad in combination with iTunes still does have some advantages.
Personally, I'm a collector. I'm not buying a single navigation app and use this, no matter what. I tend to buy 2 or 3, benchmark them, play around and switch between them (depending on my mood, my usage pattern, ...). In iTunes, usually I find what I want. Not always in the quality I'd hope for, but at least there some solution.
On Android, some of my favorites simply are lacking: Lots of offline maps, for example.
I admire Apple's business model. But in long term, in my opinion, the Android model will trump them. You either like iPhone/iPad or you don't. For Android, you have tons of choices: You can go for the Dell tablet or Samsung. Soon there will be dozens more.
And of course "Google" will be relevant. I've loved their features on iPhone. But on Android, their "home place", they offer way more already. And dominating so many niches already, this will be another huge argument for Android.

Last edited by mgmueller; 12-30-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:54 AM   #24
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I thought that all Android devices also had a physical "Home" button? My HTC Desire has one and I have seen multiple mentions of the physical "Home" button on Android forums.
Anyway, I have had a chance to see it's usefulness on some of the early CoolReader 3 for Android releases. Some of those early versions of CoolReader would hang on opening a book, and the touch screen controls would become unresponsive. I just had to tap the physical "Home" button to get back the central window and then use Advanced Task Manager to kill the runaway CoolReader 3 application.
I don't have an Android smartphone, just Dell Streak and Samsung Galaxy Tab. Both are almost identical, they only have capacitive buttons. Samsung Galaxy Tab adds a very useful "search" button to the 3 buttons (home, back, menu) from Dell Streak.
Capacitive buttons, as you describe as well, totally rely on the OS. If the OS struggles, they aren't responsive.
Maybe I've used the wrong term. By "physical button", I've meant a button which has to be pressed mechanically, whereas the capacitive buttons react on a slight touch (touch = power consumption = relying on OS).
Old 12-30-2010, 10:03 AM   #25
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Sure, but what use is it, when it does not work ? This may not happen with the Galaxy, but the web is full of android clients complaints about not properly accessing the market although their device has an official access to it. Or not being able to have 2 Gmail accounts on their phone (which is no problem at all with the iphone). This is laughable, really...And the Google customer service answers to those complaints is pathetic.

I am really not a big fan of closed system, but the iOS works and is very stable. Android crashed on me more than once (I was playing with it indeed, but what is the point of an open system if you are not supposed to tweak it ?). And I was not biased when I bought my Android device, I really knew the limits, and I also know that my device (Pocketbook IQ) cannot do much, but reading what other users say about Android on various forums made me realize that Android is just not there yet, and might not be for a while.

I am waiting for the ipad to be back in the shops near me (it is out of stock right now) but it does look like I am taking the plunge.
I'm not into phones and don't have any Android smartphone. I've got iPhone4 and I absolutely hate it. When speaking, the motion sensor sometimes (not reproducable) makes lots of funny things, for example switching to mute or turning on the speaker...

I agree: Android is less stable than iOS. Question is, what to prefer. A unit that's doing only 3 things but is doing them more or less flawlessly. Or a unit that's doing 10 things out of the box and allows for another 734 things with some tweaking and sometimes struggles over some "exotic" apps or actions.

I'm switching back and forth between both and I can recommend them equally. Both are milestones in the area of "tablets", which has been struggling for about 5 years. My Samsung UMPC (Ultra Mobile PC = kind of subnotebook with Windows XP, tablet edition) did cost $ 1.200 only 2 years ago and is totally obsolote in comparison to both...

Re. your experience: I wouldn't compare PocketBook IQ (how much was it? € 200?) to iPad, which is at least 3 times the price.

BTW: You can purchase iPad in German "Saturn" and "Media Markt". They've got plenty on stock. I don't know of any shortage here.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:39 AM   #26
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Maybe I've used the wrong term. By "physical button", I've meant a button which has to be pressed mechanically,
We are both referring to the same thing then. The Android CDD which describes the required capabilities for an Android device says:
Quote:
8.7. Navigation keys
The Home, Menu and Back functions are essential to the Android navigation paradigm. Device implementations MUST make these functions available to the user at all times, regardless of application state. These functions SHOULD be implemented via dedicated buttons. They MAY be implemented using software, gestures, touch panel, etc., but if so they MUST be always accessible and not obscure or interfere with the available application display area.
http://static.googleusercontent.com/...id-2.2-cdd.pdf

BTW, the current Android Compatibility Definition Document does not differentiate between smartphones and tablets since, for the purpose of the compatibility of Android devices, all Android devices are smartphones no matter how big the screen, until Android 3.

Quote:
whereas the capacitive buttons react on a slight touch (touch = power consumption = relying on OS).
Any hardware button, except possibly a power button, relies on the OS as well. The physical state of the button simply informs the OS about what the user wants. Of course, a hardware button can generate an interrupt to force the attention of the OS, while a touch screen button does not have that capability. Probably that is why the CDD says they "SHOULD be implemented via dedicated buttons".
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:16 PM   #27
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
I'm not into phones and don't have any Android smartphone. I've got iPhone4 and I absolutely hate it. When speaking, the motion sensor sometimes (not reproducable) makes lots of funny things, for example switching to mute or turning on the speaker...

I agree: Android is less stable than iOS. Question is, what to prefer. A unit that's doing only 3 things but is doing them more or less flawlessly. Or a unit that's doing 10 things out of the box and allows for another 734 things with some tweaking and sometimes struggles over some "exotic" apps or actions.

I'm switching back and forth between both and I can recommend them equally. Both are milestones in the area of "tablets", which has been struggling for about 5 years. My Samsung UMPC (Ultra Mobile PC = kind of subnotebook with Windows XP, tablet edition) did cost $ 1.200 only 2 years ago and is totally obsolote in comparison to both...

Re. your experience: I wouldn't compare PocketBook IQ (how much was it? € 200?) to iPad, which is at least 3 times the price.

BTW: You can purchase iPad in German "Saturn" and "Media Markt". They've got plenty on stock. I don't know of any shortage here.
You keep forgetting I am in Spain now
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:04 PM   #28
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
You keep forgetting I am in Spain now
But certainly some of your old friends can purchase it for you and send it to Spain?
Beats waiting for another 2 weeks...
Old 12-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #29
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
@tubemonkey: Your arguing two separate points. It's one thing to say the nook after your modifications meets your needs, as a reader and surfing tablet. Which I agree I have a rooted nook and is works great. You also now your own needs and tech limits better than anybody else.

However arguing that it's as good as the galaxy tab is just not correct.

There is much more to hardware than just processor speed. There is bus speed, onboard catch, graphichips, mother board design that greatly influence the overall product.
Then take into account a finished os. The nook root is no where near polished. App don't with right on it. Dialog boxes don't show up correctly, the settings are unique to the nook and don't use the standard os settings. The os is not supported so where left to use community hacks that are not easy to install.

You have the hacker mentality for many that's part of the fun, for many
more that is to much effort that requires more knowledge than the average user has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
You paint a picture of a very crippled device. The facts prove that assessment wrong. Like I said, I'm not going to waste money for a device that only does marginally better than one at half the price.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:02 PM   #30
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
My HTC EVO 4G has exactly two hardware buttons, (well, three if you count the volume up/down as two); the on/off button and the volume rocker. The four standard Android buttons (Home, Menu, Return, and Search) are off screen and in a fixed location, but still capacitive touch screen type buttons rather than hardware click-click ones. All other buttons are on screen "soft" buttons. Any app that would hang and cause those to be non-responsive would be unacceptable.

Sometimes I would like to also have a camera button, but am happy to forego that in order to have this awesome phone.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote