Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
kettch
kettch began at the beginning.

Device: none
Group Kindle 3 purchase (Melbourne, Aust)

Hi All,

Was looking forward to preordering the Kindle 3 but found the shipping ridiculous at USD26 for 1 kindle. Would anyone in Melbourne, Australia like to combine purchase with me? The purchase order can only be around 5 kindles, as anything over AUD$1000 will attract customs tax.

Currently looking at the $139 Wifi version as I don't think free 3G works in Australia. Can talk about the details once I get some people interested.

Thanks
kettch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm pretty sure that Whispernet does work in Australia. Perhaps someone else can confirm this.

Why do you consider $26 shipping to be "ridiculous"? Considering the distance involved, it seems extremely reasonable to me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
rapidblue
Connoisseur
rapidblue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 / Kindle Voyage / Kindle Touch
Must agree - $23 for priority international courier is pretty cheap...
rapidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
estrial
small is good
estrial doesn't litterestrial doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy S
The free 3g does work in Australia, but only for buying amazon books downloading documents you sent them for a 99cents per mb and wookipedia. For a period of time when I had my kindle two, I was also able to surf the web, but I think that has stopped now.

and yes $23 is very reasonable. My thoughts at least, I had received couriers from the US in much smaller size for up to $60 extra on postage!!.. Also must say their delivery service was really good last time I ordered my kindle. It arrived in 3 days(even though I was extremely impatient and wanted it to arrive the next day after the order)
estrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Whispernet works brilliantly in Australia. Downloads within 30 seconds. And I have received two upgrades through whispernet also. I am ordering one with wireless only and one with both. We already have three k2's in the family so we are well and truly addicted.

Shipping works out to be around $34 AUD which is expensive. We can send the same item back to the US for around $20 AUD and it will arrive in five days.

Last edited by Pushka; 07-30-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert