Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
jeanp319
jeanp319 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo and nook
Author sort problem or am i missing something...

I have some problems understanding how sorting of authors work...

See the picture in attachment.

This example shows an author "Elizabeth Adler" in the letter A, and the metadata looks fine. But i'd like to see it sorted like in the author sort field that i see in the metadata.

Why isn't it working ? How to correct this, what am i missing ?

Thanks for your support
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre1.png
Views:	245
Size:	964.0 KB
ID:	100672  
jeanp319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
your metadata is inconsistent (on the Left)
some of those are LN. FN
This one is Fn Ln and is sorted in the correct place for that.

BTW Note the RED Title sort. you may have the books Language set incorrect (sort rule to use) or it is just wrong

The Quality Check Plugin can help sort and fix the inconsistent part.
Preferences: Tweaks: has various sorting overrides ( take time to review all the tweaks,then form a plan to go with your choice)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanp319 View Post
This example shows an author "Elizabeth Adler" in the letter A, and the metadata looks fine. But i'd like to see it sorted like in the author sort field that i see in the metadata.

Why isn't it working ? How to correct this, what am i missing ?
I don't know why it isn't working. It works fine for me when I add that book.

Go to Preferences - Tweaks and check the following tweak.

Quote:
# Use author sort in Tag Browser

categories_use_field_for_author_name = 'author_sort'
If you are using author instead of author_sort there is your problem. This would also mean a lot of your books you have in your library view are backwards and need to be corrected.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sort.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	100697  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:12 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Right click on Elizabeth Adler in the Tag browser and select Edit sort for Elizabeth Adler. That will allow you to edit how the name is sorted. And if you want the sort value displayed in the Tag Browser use the tweak DoctorOhh pointed out.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
jeanp319

Wow thanks, never noticed that it was using author instead of author_sort...

Now, another thing that happens frequently, is that the book title and the author need to be swapped. Is there any plugin or tweak that could detect this and automagically rearrange the tags ??? That would be so great !

Let me know ...
Old 02-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Wow thanks, never noticed that it was using author instead of author_sort...

Now, another thing that happens frequently, is that the book title and the author need to be swapped. Is there any plugin or tweak that could detect this and automagically rearrange the tags ??? That would be so great !

Let me know ...
There is no plugin or tweak to fix for poor metadata.

By the way, where is it you are getting these eBooks with the poor metadata? Publisher eBooks are usually good about that.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
In the edit metadata window next to the title there is a swap title and author button.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
jeanp319

I don't know the exact sources... i find most on forums.

Two authors:
Joyce, Brenda
and
Brenda Joyce
are shown separated even if the author_sort field is the same ...

Is there a way to fix that ?
Old 02-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #9
jeanp319

Same for:
Karpyshyn,Drew
and
Karpyshyn, Drew
Old 02-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So you download eBooks that you should be paying for.

That's it, I'm done trying to help. I will not help with problems with eBooks that you have stolen instead of bought.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-07-2013 at 11:19 AM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #11
jeanp319

no worries...
thank you anyways