Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #511
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
unzip this.

use.
NOTE: On most versions of Windows, you do not have to re-boot after unpacking the cover.zip contents.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #512
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbruells View Post
Hmm… there aren't any uninstall-bins.
Inside the screensaver hack's zip file, right next to the install.bin is an uninstall.bin file...NiLuJe always includes one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbruells View Post
I guess I'll wait a bit for Nijule's input before I start analyzing the scripts.
Always a good idea!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #513
ic0n0klast
ic0n0klast began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
@ ic0n0klast
unzip this.

use.
Use... where? The "linkss" folder contains the following subfolders:
Backups
bin
cover_cache
discarded
etc
overflow
run
screensavers
staging

I have put it in cover_cache AND screensavers, rebooted after each, and the only thing that happens is that I get the default kindle screensavers back. Am I doing something wrong here?
ic0n0klast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #514
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
"Do you want to use the cover of the last book opened as a screensaver? Make sure you've installed the Python package first, then just drop a blank file named cover in the linkss folder."

So there then. And that you have installed python.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #515
ic0n0klast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic0n0klast View Post
Use... where? The "linkss" folder contains the following subfolders:
Backups
bin
cover_cache
discarded
etc
overflow
run
screensavers
staging

I have put it in cover_cache AND screensavers, rebooted after each, and the only thing that happens is that I get the default kindle screensavers back. Am I doing something wrong here?
Note: I also just tried putting copies of it in both of these, plus the main linkss folder, all at the same time, and now my screensaver is just a blank white screen. (sigh)
Advert
Old 04-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #516
ic0n0klast

Quote:
"Do you want to use the cover of the last book opened as a screensaver? Make sure you've installed the Python package first, then just drop a blank file named cover in the linkss folder."

So there then. And that you have installed python.
Yes, I did, as per my original post. The JB, the python, and the linkss thing have all been installed, but still no luck.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #517
ic0n0klast

So now I have the empty "cover" file in just the main linkss folder, and this seems to create a "raw" image in the cover_cache folder of my book cover (I can view it, and it's correct), but what appears in the screensavers folder is just a blank white image, which is what shows up when I put the kindle to sleep.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #518
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@iconoclast
Did you do a restart via menu>settings>restart? (without the usb cable attached)
Old 04-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #519
ic0n0klast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
@iconoclast
Did you do a restart via menu>settings>restart? (without the usb cable attached)
Yes indeed, I did. I followed the instructions exactly (with the exception of not knowing how to create a blank file or which folder in linkss to put it). But I think it's all where it's supposed to be now, and it still doesn't work. I just get a blank screen as a screensaver.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #520
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

@iconoclast-
Delete all of the generated covers in the cover cach folder and repeat the restart.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #521
ic0n0klast

Quote:
@iconoclast-
Delete all of the generated covers in the cover cach folder and repeat the restart.
Thanks for responding so quickly, btw.

Yes, I did that step... no result.

For good measure, I even reinstalled the python / linkss steps... no result. All I get is no cover at all in sleep mode. Just a blank white screen.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #522
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

@iconoclast
have you tried a different book (new from any that you have tried before) and left it open for about 20-30 seconds?
Old 04-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #523
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

@iconoklast-
If you can see generated book covers in the cover cache folder and the screensaver folder is empty then it appears things are working properly except that the current reading book generated cover is not being placed into the screensaver folder....perhaps there is something wrong with your empty 'cover' file....I found the easiest way to create it (the empty 'cover' file is to just rename the 'autoreboot' file that is already in the linkss folder and not being used anyway. Just delete the previous empty 'cover' file and rename 'autoreboot' to 'cover'.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #524
ic0n0klast

Quote:
@iconoclast
have you tried a different book (new from any that you have tried before) and left it open for about 20-30 seconds?
Yep, I've tried a bunch ebooks, to no effect.

What happens is that a file appears in cover_cache called cover_raw_4a4314ae-8f5f-4bb3-96dc-0d3e09dc9987.jpeg that is what it's supposed to be (although I just checked again and the one that showed up was one from about an hour ago, even though it had long been deleted... it seems to have "returned from the grave", to quote something from a previous thread I read), and then in the screensavers folder there appears a file called bg_medium_ss00.png that is 1024x758 of blank white nothing.

I delete the one from screensavers, the one from cover cache, the blank "cover" file, then restart, replace the blank "cover" file, restart, open a book, wait 20 seconds, press sleep button... blank screen, and the aforementioned files return to their respective folders.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #525
ic0n0klast

Quote:
@iconoklast-
If you can see generated book covers in the cover cache folder and the screensaver folder is empty then it appears things are working properly except that the current reading book generated cover is not being placed into the screensaver folder....perhaps there is something wrong with your empty 'cover' file....I found the easiest way to create it (the empty 'cover' file is to just rename the 'autoreboot' file that is already in the linkss folder and not being used anyway. Just delete the previous empty 'cover' file and rename 'autoreboot' to 'cover'.
Just tried this. I still get a blank screen for a cover.

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch