Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
hagerdoc
hagerdoc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, Kobo Touch, Motorola Xoom, iPad
Magazine subscriptions on iPad

I recently got an iPad and would like to use it to complement my Kobo Touch.

I have purchased a magazine subscription from the Kobo website, and though it appears
on the website that the magazine should show on the Kobo app on my iPad, it doesn't.

The magazine does appear on the Kobo Touch. It updates weekly, as it should. However when I update the Kobo library on the iPad, I can't see any issues of the magazine.

I have logged out of the app, and then logged back in. I have cleared the data on the iPad. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app. I am looking at the "All content" tab on the app. When I look at the "news and magazine" section on the app, the screen shows the message that "You don't have any subscriptions."

I sent this email to Kobo support 10 days ago. Yesterday I received a reply that said "If we don't hear from you in the next 240 hours, we will assume your problem is resolved." The proposed solution was to tell me that Apple has changed their policy about "in app purchases" and that I can no longer buy books while in the app, but I should be pleased to learn that I can still choose from Kobo's large selection of books from my web browser.

I did take the time to respond that my problem was not resolved. I suspect that when I receive my next reply in another ten days that it likely will not resolve my question. I am hoping someone here may be able to help.

Thanks in advance.
hagerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I read that version 5 of iphone operating system broke Kobo app and they are working on fix.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
hagerdoc

Thanks. I'll just have to be patient then.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
lessthanyouthink
Connoisseur
lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: iPad / iPhone / Kobo Touch
Hi hagerdoc,

Which particular magazine isn't showing up? There shouldn't be any iOS5-related issues with periodicals syncing, but it's possible this publication isn't actually available on the iPad and was erroneously listed. I can try to look into it for you if you'd like.

Cheers,
Charles
lessthanyouthink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
hagerdoc

Thank you for your offer to help. The magazine in question is "The Nation". Alas, the story is a bit more complicated. I have tried to simplify it so as not to be overwhelmingly complex.

Briefly, I purchased a subscription to "The Nation" almost a year ago and was able to see issues on my ipod touch for a while. Then in July I got a Kobo Touch reader and renewed my subscription. When it didn't show up on the Kobo Touch, I deleted the issues from the ipod touch, hoping that would reset the subscription. It didn't, and I was eventually able to receive issues on my Kobo Touch after someone from Kobo on this forum gave me instructions on editing the configuration file on the Kobo Touch (replacing Borders with Kobo). All was well for a month or two and then, with no action on my part, I noted that the subscription was canceled. I renewed it and have been receiving issues again on the Kobo Touch ereader. Finally, I got an iPad 2 (updated to ios 5) a few weeks ago. I have not ever seen issues of the magazine on the iPad (or any new issues on the ipod touch). I have uninstalled and reinstalled the apps on both the ipod touch and ipad. I have cleared the data on both the ipod touch and ipad. After refreshing the content, looking under the "All Content" tab, no issues show, and looking at "News and Mags" under "More", the message is that I have no subscriptions. I have also signed out of an signed back into my account on both the ipad and ipod with no changes.

Again, thanks for any help.
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 11:47 AM   #6
lessthanyouthink
Connoisseur
lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: iPad / iPhone / Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagerdoc View Post
Thank you for your offer to help. The magazine in question is "The Nation". Alas, the story is a bit more complicated. I have tried to simplify it so as not to be overwhelmingly complex.

Briefly, I purchased a subscription to "The Nation" almost a year ago and was able to see issues on my ipod touch for a while. Then in July I got a Kobo Touch reader and renewed my subscription. When it didn't show up on the Kobo Touch, I deleted the issues from the ipod touch, hoping that would reset the subscription. It didn't, and I was eventually able to receive issues on my Kobo Touch after someone from Kobo on this forum gave me instructions on editing the configuration file on the Kobo Touch (replacing Borders with Kobo). All was well for a month or two and then, with no action on my part, I noted that the subscription was canceled. I renewed it and have been receiving issues again on the Kobo Touch ereader. Finally, I got an iPad 2 (updated to ios 5) a few weeks ago. I have not ever seen issues of the magazine on the iPad (or any new issues on the ipod touch). I have uninstalled and reinstalled the apps on both the ipod touch and ipad. I have cleared the data on both the ipod touch and ipad. After refreshing the content, looking under the "All Content" tab, no issues show, and looking at "News and Mags" under "More", the message is that I have no subscriptions. I have also signed out of an signed back into my account on both the ipad and ipod with no changes.

Again, thanks for any help.
Hi hagerdoc,

I've looked into the issue and, unfortunately, it turns out that The Nation is no longer available for our iOS apps and the store page was left with outdated device support information (I'm looking into getting that updated so this doesn't happen to anyone else). I would recommend replying to customer care about this and seeing about obtaining a refund. I'm sorry about the hassle you've had to go through – if you'd like, send me a private message with your support ticket information and I'll see if I can get someone on that.

– Charles
lessthanyouthink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #7
hagerdoc

Thanks for your help. I'll just read it on the Kobo touch for now.