Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-23-2011, 07:54 AM   #1
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Opera vs Silk; Setting the "default" browser

I've been toying with Opera a bit, and overall I like the experience much better. Overall it seems about the same speed as Silk, though to be fair it is usually loading the mobile version of the websites rather than the full version. That's an advantage in some respects though, since many sites are a lot easier to read on a 7" screen when they're optimized.

I'd like to keep Silk around in case I continue to run in to trouble with certain sites though (as I do with Gizmodo, for instance) but there's a thing that happens when there are two browsers installed on the Fire that makes doing that a little hard; sometimes when I click a link in either browser, the Fire displays a pop-up asking whether I want to open the link in Silk or Opera. There is a way to set one as the default, but I'm not sure how I would set it back if I wasn't able to use Opera for some things. Anyone know if that's a setting that can be reversed somehow?
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
I've been toying with Opera a bit, and overall I like the experience much better. Overall it seems about the same speed as Silk, though to be fair it is usually loading the mobile version of the websites rather than the full version. That's an advantage in some respects though, since many sites are a lot easier to read on a 7" screen when they're optimized.

I'd like to keep Silk around in case I continue to run in to trouble with certain sites though (as I do with Gizmodo, for instance) but there's a thing that happens when there are two browsers installed on the Fire that makes doing that a little hard; sometimes when I click a link in either browser, the Fire displays a pop-up asking whether I want to open the link in Silk or Opera. There is a way to set one as the default, but I'm not sure how I would set it back if I wasn't able to use Opera for some things. Anyone know if that's a setting that can be reversed somehow?

It's very simple to clear an App that opens by default. It's also important to know because when you find an App that you prefer over another you want to be able to use that App by default (e.g. Documents to Go instead of Quick Office).

Select Settings --> More (+) --> Applications --> Choose all Apps from the drop down menu. Locate the App that opens by default (e.g. Browser, Opera etc.). Touch the App and another window will open. If the App is set by default, you can touch Clear Defaults in the Launch by Default section. The next time you open a browser, assuming this is what you cleared defaults on, you will be prompted with the Complete Action Using pop-up again from which you can select the App you want to use by default.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-23-2011 at 08:45 AM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Cool. That does the trick, ob2. Thanks.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #4
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post

Glad you asked that. I had this pop up and was wondering the same thing.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
An unrelated Opera question, let me know if you figure out how to install extensions in Opera Mini, or Opera Mobile. I couldn't get extensions to work in either.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
An unrelated Opera question, let me know if you figure out how to install extensions in Opera Mini, or Opera Mobile. I couldn't get extensions to work in either.

Unlike the desktop version, Opera Mini and Opera Mobile don't support extensions. If you are interested in a browser that supports Add-Ons I recommend you try Dolphin HD.

http://www.1mobile.com/search.php?keywords=dolphin

Swipe right to open the Bookmarks toolbar. Swipe left to open the Add-Ons toolbar. The top icon in the Add-On toolbar allows Dolphin to go full-screen (press MENU from the Options Bar to bring up the address bar in full-screen mode). The icon below this is supposed to be used to get Add-Ons, but I have never been able to get it to work. Hence, the second link to Add-Ons which all you need to do is download and install them.

Last edited by obsessed2; 12-26-2011 at 11:15 AM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:02 AM   #7
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
For some reason the defaults for my browsers are grayed out so I'm not able to change the default. Earlier on this wasn't the case and I set opera as the default browser, but it didn't hold and reverted back to silk. Any ideas why that might be?
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote